Slow zombies versus fast zombies in gaming and fiction?

• I am a big fan of slow zombies both in my gaming as well as in the various mediums of fiction. Not that fast zombies (ghouls/feral vampires/whatever) do not have a place… I like them too just for different reasons, for a different atmosphere in a game or movie.

What do you think?

Which do you prefer?

How should they be modeled differently from each other?

Which game or rules best typifies relentless plodding doom rather than manic frenzy?

You can read more of my thoughts on this topic on my blog…

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/2022/01/07/walking-dead-world-beyond-really-irked-me-warning-rant-with-spoilers/

… but really here I am curious about your ideas on the gaming specifics of zombie post-apoc and how I might best get the gaming experience I want.

• It's been a horro standard for generations: The dead shall WALK!

• Slow zombies have more of a "everything is bleak and hopeless" feel. There isnt a big immediate threat unless you are unlucky and get mobbed, but the overall atmosphere is that hope is dead. 

Fast zombies are an actual immediate threat. There isnt a sneak past, or just outrun scenario. You have to deal with them and deal now with them. 

Personally, I like both. Though zombies have had such an overaturation of media, that I have been "zombied out". Just like Vampires, and Super heroes. Too much too often has made me like them all less. 

• The show I-zombie. I actually would consider the character a ghoul (d&d/ pathfinder) more than a zombie. I actually liked that take on "zombies" and it would be a fun character to play in an rpg. 

I also like the various "nazi zombie" movies. There was a good one on shudder that was vampires but they were the wild feral almost mindless vampires that are similar to zombies. It took place on a WW2 nazi ship that was bringing religious relics back to Germany. Some of teh relics included fortified coffins that turned out to be... you guessed it. 

I like little spins like that, though those too are becoming common place. For wargaming I have never really been an undead fan. A zombie (or skeleton) army would feel sooo lonely. I couldnt picture myself being a general there. No one to talk to... or at least no one who would talk back to you. Yeah, zombies are sad. 

• I prefer the slow zombies, as they feel like they represent an unbeatable, inevitable doom.  You can run, you can hide, but it's always always out there, always coming, and it will get you sooner or later. It's in no hurry; it has time, you don't.

In wargames, their slowness balances out their numbers, and makes for good (but still dangerous) cannon fodder/hordes.

I don't hate fast zombies, though.  One rational I've heard for fast zombies that I really like is that the freshly-dead aren't all decomposed and rigor mortis-y, yet, so their speed, strength, and reflexes are still close to what they were in life.  The longer they're dead, the slower and weaker they get.

The ones I can't get into, though, are the zombies that seem to *gain* speed and strength with death.  The little girl in the opening of the Dawn of the Dead remake that, when she's knocked down just springs up off the floor, or the World War Z (ptooy!) zombies that streak through the streets like a wave of water and nimbly climb each other to get up and over walls...not a fan of those types.

• @Benjamin Hayward I agree, but I guess it depends on the reason they became zombies. If its magical, or even some super chemical, then i dont have a problem with them becoming "more" in death than they were in life. 

The only thing i really hate is the indestructible zombie... There were a couple of films where the zombies could not be destroyed at all. They could be dismembered, but even then were not done...

Return of the living dead... they had them stored in containers because there was no way to destroy them... the mortuary guy actually incinerates them (which oddly was able to destoy them) but then the smoke from the fire reanimated everything dead... bad movie,. but I am a Linnea Quigley fan, so I still liked it. 

• I think I tend to agree with you:  I like both, but consider the "fast zombie" to be a totally different animal.

I try to use the term "ghoul" rather than "zombie" for both, to distinguish them from the very different and all but completely out-of-fashion "Hollywood Voodoo" style zombie movie (see White Zombie, I Walked with a Zombie, Plan 9 from Outer Space, or King of the Zombies for some examples, or Phantasm for one of the last modern examples I can think of in this genre, with diminutive, hooded hobgoblin zombies shrunken into hideous dwarfs to serve as a slave labor force on an alien planet for a unique twist on the basic concept!)  For a "zombie" movie in that sense, I kind of expect a "zombie master" mad scientist working for some sort of sinister organization - typically Nazis, Ruritanians, or aliens - who use some sort of super-science - probably serums, radiation, or hypnotism - to create a race of zombie supermen to take over the world, unless they are stopped by some plucky investigator protagonists.  Unless the movie is more specifically about a Hollywood-style Voodoo....  The Hollywood Voodoo zombie movie's hayday seems to have been the '30s and '40s, and a survival through the early Cold War, for obvious metaphorical reasons.

I think the slow "ghouls" actually have a pretty long tradition in sci-fi, actually predating the fad of Hollywood Voodoo "zombies"...  one of the more famous early examples would be Night of the Living Dead (1968), but that movie clearly took many of its cues from that great little Vincent Price version of the story "I Am Legend", The Last Man on Earth (1964).  But, I think The Day of the Triffids (1962) pretty much codifies this style of movie (it's a modern "zombie movie" in almost every way except that walking plants stand in for ghouls), and Carnival of Souls (1962) pretty much establishes the low-budget look and feel for what ghouls look and act like, and I can't help thinking that there's a healthy dose of this movie in the ancestry of the "Living Dead" movies. 

Interestingly to me, both Carnival of Souls and The Last Man on Earth play their ghouls as intelligent creatures, playing psychological mind games with their victims, and even laughing at or talking to their victims!  This seems to be a lost element of this "trope", and I assumed for a long time the brain-dead "vegetable" aspect of the modern "zombie movie" ghouls came almost literally from Day of the Triffids:  whatever the case, Night of the Living Dead seemed to cement the notion of slow-moving, inevitable ghouls into the imaginations of movie-goers and movie-makers in the years to come.

But, the origins of the post-apocalyptic "zombie movie" go back a little ways before the mid 1960s:  there was a fad for post-apocalyptic movies in the '50s to the early '60s as well, with many of the now familiar tropes of desperate survival in the face of a collapsing civilization appearing in post-atomic-war movies like Panic! in the Year Zero (1962) or Five (1950), and small ad-hoc groups of bickering survivors being besieged by slow-moving and awkward atomic mutants in movies like The Day the World Ended (1955) or World Without End (1956)... it seems that the "Living Dead" movie series owes a bit of its ancestry to these movies as well, substituting ghouls for mutants - in the case of Night of the Living Dead, those ghouls seem to have been caused by radiation or some other contamination leaking from a downed military satellite, all but explicitly making them close cousins, if not twins, to the atomic mutants of the previous decade!  These post-atomic movies would enjoy occasional revivals into the '70s, '80s, and byond, with The Day After (1983), Damnation Alley (1977), and hosts of others, including the '80s fad of movies ripping off Mad Max, which gave a high-speed action flavor to this particularly cynical branch of the "zombie movie" extended family!)

But, perhaps the grand-daddy of them all was a movie inspired by no less than H.G. Wells, from a surprisingly pre-atomic era of science fiction:  Things to Come (1936)!  Amazingly, nearly all of the components of the modern "zombie movie" are there, in a not-quite-finished form:  a story set in a (then) near-future 1940s, predicting a second world war which bombs the whole world back into a virtual feudal condition, followed by the release of a biological weapon called the "Wandering Sickness" that turns its victims into mute, mindless, slowly shambling, wandering "zombies" that pursue terrified survivors with the threat of contamination through eerily ruined and deserted cities, while petty self-made feudal warlords organize rag-tag armies to raid and conquer weaker communities, and a secretive organization of more technologically advanced survivors are at work on rebuilding a utopian new world, one village at a time....  This story seems suspiciously like the template that The Walking Dead would be built from, and no doubt left its mark on many an earlier post-apocalyptic movie and "zombie movie"!  (Some familiar post-apocalytpic horror themes run through H.G. Wells' earlier works, too, such as The War of the Worlds, where a conversation with a military deserter reveals his scheme to commandeer a Martian war machine and turn its conquering might on his fellow human beings to become a master over the human survivors, and even in the plight of the Morlocks from The Time Machine, driven into cannibal madness by centuries of post-apocalyptic exploitation by a decadent and likewise deteriorated Eloi leisure class.....)

So, I think those slow-moving zombies are a very old tradition in sci-fi/horror, one that seems to be pretty tightly connected to apocalyptic settings and a fear of contamination, and where as much of the story's central horrors and conflicts come from the fall of civilization and a descent into animal barbarism as much as anything else:  much like the ghouls are theatening to contaminate the protagonists and turn them into literal walking dead, the story's assorted savage warlords, cult leaders, and sociopaths threaten to turn the story's protagonists into a different sort of walking dead:  inhuman savages who have lost the last of their humanity to desperate barbarism in the name of survival....

And that brings me to those "fast zombies", which seem to be a comparatively recent phenomenon, and, as your commentary hints, one that seems to derive its horror from slightly different stuff:  rather than a slowly encroaching dread and a more metaphorical theme of contamination and loss of humanity on various levels, these "fast zombie" movies seem to (literally) cut to the chase, running on high-speed chases and the threat of being quickly consumed by a menace that seems to have a lot more in common with a primordial fear of being chased and eaten by faster, stronger, hungrier predators, than it does with the H.G. Wells' "wandering sickness" tradition.

The origins here seem murky to me... they seem to borrow at least bit from that cynical, high-speed, car chase action-and-surival heart of those '70s and '80s Mad Max style post-apocallyptic action/adventure movies, and Carnival of Souls does seem to be an early example of surprisingly nimble ghouls playfully chasing their protagonist through a deserted carnival pavillion, and one can't help suspect some of this sort of movie's ancestry to be traced to exploitation fare like Cannibal Holocaust or The Hills Have Eyes or Death Line (a 1972 British movie about a family of mute, cannibal hillbillies dwelling in the London underground, chasing victims through empty train stations to devour them - an obvious 1970s-modern take on the rather ancient legend of Sawney Beane), and they possibly share some conceptual DNA with movies like Aliens and Starship Troopers (subsituting the running dead for fast-moving alien xenomorphs and bugs!), but I don't think I can reall anything much closer than that appearing in living dead movies until the 1990s or 2000s, with e.g. Ghosts of Mars (2001), The Descent (2005), and 28 Days Later (2002).  These sorts of movies sometimes seem to draw on a few of the same tropes as their slower-paced cousins, such as ad-hoc groups of survivors who can't seem to get civilization right between themselves, or conflicts with barbaric warlords and the like, but I think these elements tend to be downplayed a bit compared to the slower-moving examples, or perhaps altered in subtle ways (conflicts with those post-apocalyptic warlords seem to take on more of a revenge-horror type quality, than an exploration of some idea of being contaminated by savagery....)  I tend to assume slow-moving ghouls for RPGs and other games.

Oh, and then, there's the "Deadite":  a distinctly different breed of Living Dead "zombie", the Deadite (named by one of its earliest appearances, in the Evil Dead movies) is animated by demonic forces, and takes on a distinctly demonic or alien appearance:  bulging eyes, distorted faces, claws and horns, the power to levitate and cast spells, use tools and weapons, and speak in hellish voices and taunt their victims.  I think the Deadite might be rather under-represented in gaming!

• That was a long post, I'll break it up a bit, because this really gets to my answer:

All that is a long way of saying that I think that the "slow zombie" genre seems to have the oldest, best-established, and most diverse cinematic pedigree, and it's the version that I think I prefer the most. I think I like my ghouls slow-moving, menacing, and atmospheric, and, I'm tempted to say, thoughtful and methodical in their theme - in fact, I don't mind exploring some of those talking ghoul/vampire cultists from The Last Man on Earth or those playful, laughing, menacing ghouls from Carnival of Souls in a little more detail, or something like the Triffids as an inhuman "zombie" alternative: though these peculiar elements come from some of the older examples of "zombie movies", they don't seem to have made it very far into the stereotypical "zombie apocalypse" template, and perhaps deserve a little bit more attention for what they can bring to the table in terms of horror.

Really though, for tabletop gaming, I don't see any reason that "fast zombies" couldn't work just as well: I don't think there's really much difference in the miniatures (unless running poses are important to you), and I'm sure only minor differences in the rules to allow for the differences in mobility.

And that leaves, I think, the unasked question of "what about that 'obsolete' third option, 'Hollywood Voodoo' zombies????" This sort of thing seems to have come back into fashion a bit in modern gaming in the form of the fantasy necromancer trope, though I don't think I've seen it very often in a pulp horror/sci-fi context where it was originally most at home, outside of the occasional Nazi Zombie minis. Again, though, I don't think there's necessarily any major difference in the way the minis look from classic "slow zombie" ghouls.

Maybe some bigger questions might be:

• Is it important to have "fast zombie" miniatures be portrayed in running poses? (I can see that being a deal-breaker, depending on what type of ghoul you prefer!)
    • Is it important to distinguish between "zombies" and Lovecraftian ghouls and/or vampires? (Lovecraft's ghouls also ate flesh, but had a distinctly inhuman appearance: rubbery faces, pointed ears, sharp teeth, hooves... these are, naturally, something of a different animal from flesh-eating "zombies", and fantasy gamers seem to make a distinction here!)
    • Should zomies be made in fantasy/medieval costumes, modern costumes, something else (like WWII Zombie Germans), or all of the above? (Fantasy gamers and modern horror gamers would most likely have different opinions here!)
    • Classic zombies, or armed and armored zombies? (Wargamers building undead warrior armies might see things differently from survival horror gamers recreating a "walking dead" scenario!)
    • Is there a market for something a little more exotic? (Those grotesque, hooded zombie dwarf "Lurkers" from the Phantasm movies were really cool! But, would something unique like that be too niche to appeal to a broader market for zombies?)

I suspect that a generic living-dead style "slow zombie" horde in generic rags that might work equally well in fantasy or modern settings, perhaps in a set that include arms holding bones and yummy bits to gnaw on and simple weapons like improvised clubs or rusty swords, for wargamers' army-building benefit) might end up being the most broadly useful and appealing (if least interesting!) option.  The one-size-fits-all zombie....

TL;DR: Of the two, I prefer "slow zombies", but I don't think it matters much as far as miniatures go, since the same model can pobably represent both just as well, as long as the pose isn't important - for minis, perhaps the best option for zombies/ghouls might be the most generic possible humanoid walking dead, in generic rag costumes, with crude weapon options for wargamers: it's not the most interesting of designs, but it might be the most broadly useful and appealing compromise for everyone. 

However, I think I'd really like to see some demonically-possessed "Evil Dead" Deadite miniatures for something really different!

• @Yronimos Whateley, as always you are a delightful source of information. Lots to digest there, if you will pardon the pun. Some of what you expanded on is mentioned in my blog post and the linked videos there.

Lots of great replies from folks here. I am pleasantly surprised how largely popular slow moving zombies are.

With games like Frostgrave it is nice to be able to tell at a glance if it is a slow moving zombie, a faster moving ghoul, or a more dangerous feral vampire.

Zombicide uses poses to help differentiate slow and fast zombies at a glance.

An upgrade sprue might be able to turn most WA sprues into zombies.

• @Grumpy Gnome It depends what your goal is. I think a mix of zombies maybe having fast zombies be  a effect cause by the zombies taking casualties or fire. 

In a story based game its best to have a story reason for why the zombies act a certain way.

• @William Redford Plus, Return is hilarious! 😆 "You think this is a costume? This is a f***in' way of life!". Love that movie!

• Like Mr Whateley just said.

I do prefer my zombies to walk to present an ever-ending source of danger during my games of RTW40K using OPR-GFF/GF, with the addition of some "Ghouls" or "Ghasts" -so faster zombies- for a touch of fun. All under the control of a Space Vampire (like in Colin Wilson novel and so RT bestiary) and all part of her ever-growing horde disguised as a cult devoted to some Star Child. 

I am using Plague zombies from Mantic (sadly the sole futuristic models around at the moment) mixed with some plastic zombified FG cultists, ST mercenaries, ST troopers and the 9 available ST plague zombies (thanks the All-maker for Quarantine 37)... Mantic 3rd Gen Troopers or some Reaper models do represent "Ghouls/Ghasts" and acting like "champions".  So an easier way to know what kind of zombies are around.. 

I am planning to add more Mantic zombies to depict "regular" citizens turned into zombies thanks to the ever-growing influence of the Cult all over the planet... and so more "slow walkers". 

• @Grumpy Gnome - Thank you :)  But I went on much longer than I originally meant to, and it depends on the topic - supernatural horror and pulp sci-fi?  I can't stop myself from going on forever.  Historical subjects?  I'm absolutely useless.

I think I agree with just about all of the above:  for miniaures, I'm thinking it really depends on the setting and universe - the more focused and consistent the treatement of the living dead, the more generic the models can get.  Where you start running into the sort of "horror kitchen sink" situation (as seen in Z-Nation or, apparently, Walking Dead: World Beyond - which I've not watched, and probably won't anytime soon), then it does help to make distinct models to represent the different types. 

How common the different types are in the setting might go a long way toward determining how much sense it makes to mix them in the same kit, and how to balance the mix.  The "kitchen sink" approach does make things much harder to get a good variety of any particular type of undead in the same kit.  I think the choice of costumes, and running poses for the "running dead" where demanded by the setting can do more than anything else to complicate the design of a generic undead set!

I think that an "undead conversion" sprue sounds like a a fantastic idea, and a great way to get even more from a complete undead box:  a sprue of undead arms and heads that can be added to virtually any historical kit, sounds like a winner for creating undead for any setting.  Hmmm... zombie heads and grasping hands on Cannon Fodder jumpsuit bodies painted up like irradiated zombie workmen or starship crew?  Sounds like a plan to me... and the same bits would surely work just as well on Dark Ages Irish and Goths, or on Grognards or even the French Reistance.... 

Lovecraftian ghouls/vampires for certain settings' treatments of undead - as a more animalistic, less-human thing - might best be treated as a different creature altogether from the "walking dead" (or "running dead", as the case may be); these creatures - feral, twisted, rubbery-faced, fanged, and pointed-eared - almost border on the same thematic territory as werewolves, really!

• @Grumpy Gnome Hi all love both, fast and slow, your rules and players style, can make both really deadly .D20 system altough evolving is still my go to play rules, ammo and its shortage can be a sad characters demise when slowly surrounded and there's no friends around, torn apart by slowly ravenous undead, Then you have the courages standing line. firing away as they charge closer, and closer faster, so close you here the chatter of their teeth, and still with bullets it your gun you're down.  Hell you died so fast you didn`t know it. Yes we played them all, Zombie games are in my "blood" spilt enough of it over the years and looking forward to it continuing in the future, I love the now gone Wargames Fantasy figures and really wish i`d bought more, and Studio Miniatures which fit in very well. It will probably be my first range start for "2022", Cheers all. Happy New Year. "Mind those teeth".   

• Warlord Games has those old Wargames Factory Zombie and survivor figures available in the new Limited Edition release of Project Z and while they are expensive I notice there are more of these sprues on eBay lately, at better prices than they had been going for up until recently. So we may see more temporarily available trickle down reduced price sprues soon.

• Thanks for the heads-up on that! 

I thought the survivors (and bikers and special ops guys!) sets were a great idea, but I missed them when they were available last time.  Definitely a little pricey for my taste, and some of the characters themselves seem a little too specific for my taste, but the big selection of modern weapons and other gear available in those kits is the best part (for me, at least), and just about makes them worth it.

• @Yronimos Whateley , Grumpy,  god, what a price, and when they were W,F. there were 4 sprues in the box 24 /30 figures. now 8. dam naughty  hay guys. Only thing is they have great potential for converstions. They built my civilian /military, modern conservation, group, Rubicon provided, Jeeps and trailer, M-8 Scout car, Trucks, I got a Winibago, and a few other machines. Tents, camp site, and a camp fire. completed my set. Few kids from###### "Brain fart" , couple of dogs, and cats. I`ve done  Zombies, Falling Skies, Meteors, the lot over the years an M.V.C.G. is a good build for gaming,

• If you keep a sharp eye on eBay you can find them for 1 to 2 dollars/pounds/euros a miniature but yeah no where near the prices of “back in the day”.... still better than new from Warlord Games.

• I did notice that Warlord has some (also expensive!) 28mm not-Humvees that look good, just wish they didn't cost an arm and a leg.

Mantic's "Terrain Crate" sets have a wealth of "modern" scatter terrain like modern campsities, shopping mall contents, city street-scaping, and that sort of thing, too, that would have been made (I think) for their Walking Dead-inspired tabletop game, along with a lot of WWII-friendly battlefield dressing an ruined Gothic Mansion furniture that would work well in zombie-themed games.

And Reaper's Bones "Chronoscope" line includes a lot of great 28mm "zombie survivor" type characters - I make sure to include the Chronoscope add-ons every time Reaper does a Kickstarter, and I've got quite a few of these guys now.  They even had a cool little beat-up camper/trailer model in the last Kickstarter that looks like it would fit right in with the Walking Dead....

It's really a sort of golden age for 28mm gaming of all sorts, and it's been pretty good for zombie-themed gaming in particular.

As William mentioned above, though, I have a feeling that there's a limit to how much zombie gaming the market can handle before it gets "zombied out":  it seems to be a cyclical interest, and I'm thinking that Walking Dead: World Beyond might represent the tail-end of this cycle.  There will, I think, always be a strong market for medieval zombies in the seemingly evergreen fantasy market, but now might be a good time to scoop up all the affordable post-apocalyptic stuff and modern zombies we can, before they start dropping out of the market.  After all, I think the survivors, vehicles, scatter terrain, and so on have a lot of good uses outside of zombie gaming!

• @Yronimos Whateley  Undoutable my friend one can never have to many zombies on the board ,put the fear of teeth into them. Watch that Hummer though shes a resin brick, Better off with a corgi or japan copy. We are requesting Rubicon, so at least theres hope, what a series it would make.

• @Grumpy Gnome @Yronimos Whateley I am surprised you guys have not mentioned the Z-Clipz plastic sets by Studio Miniatures yet. The customizable male zombie sprue is pretty dang useful for making armed modern survivors/militia if you have the right parts, it makes decent zeds, great for making historical trooper x zeds and the bodies seem to work great with WA multipart historical scale minis.

• @William Redford i was just thinking of return of the living dead. That movie is EPIC. " shooting em in the head only works in the movies!"

• @Brian Van De Walker I was unaware of those, so thanks for the heads up on them.

One body looks good for survivors, the other three less so but still good zombie models to add to a horde.

https://deadmanstales.wordpress.com/2013/01/01/studio-miniatures-multi-part-zombie-miniatures/

• @Grumpy Gnome

As someone who is not interested in zombies normally and picked up two boxes them off ebay (cause they were absurdly cheap and I am a weak plastic crack addict), I was pleasantly surprised by how well they worked, I found the only body that can't really be used for normal (albeit disheveled) humans was the one who's shirt was ripped and I have been kit bashing it with WA lizardman parts for some mutants, I should do some more pics of them besides this horrible one:

• Love Studio Miniatures, forgot the plastic, by the way guys, they do transfer sheets pretty good for "Sons of Anachy" and "Myans" and metal gang figures, lets hear those Harly`s Roar.

• @Grumpy Gnome i feel like slow zombies work best as actual undead, or supernatral. But fast zombies work best as a disease/plague.

I like both.

• Some great comments. It is fascinating to see such interest in zombie narratives.

The movie of World War Z is a travesty. The book was quite good. As a former US Infantry NCO I found the Battle of Yonkers quite on point in regards to the plot element of today’s generals being too often fighting yesterday’s war as well as being over-reliant on high tech, high profile weapon systems. Max Brooks has some impressive access to the US military officer corps, having even spoken at West Point and the US Naval War College. Check out some of his presentations on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rgq04T9YOCc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nGG5E04cog

One of the things about Max Brooks for me is that he has already said in the halls of power things I had been thinking and has not had a lot of traction. There was a time I used to think, “If only I could get my ideas to the right people maybe we could change things.” Now I can see my ideas would fall on deaf ears too.

• You know my friend never been in the army , my fathers wish, but whats that sad maxim."Soldiers do the dieing. polititions do the lying". Man that probabley went back to the cave men.  Good night mate.

• @Grumpy Gnome 

Just try to find out the original script from Michael Straczynski... for a more realistic version of the outbreak and the military response then: like Yonkers as a matter of facts with waves of walkers slowly but surely advancing towards soldiers with the same errors as most of the elements there were still equipped to fight a living opponent with topnotch material not a quite primitive but highly efficient undead menace. In Straczynski' script, zombies were not able to run just walk according to Romero's point of view... but you know youngsters nowadays, more interested in running Zed just like in the remake of Day of the Dead. 

• @William Redford 

Do you remember the name of the movie with the relic ship full of vampire coffins?  Thanks!

• @JTam  

Blood Vessel

You can rent it on Amazon Prime Amazon link

If you have Shudder, is free on Shudder. Shudder link

• @William Redford 

Thank You.

If you enjoyed Vampires on a boat, and would like to try being tired of these M*ther F*in Vampires on a MF Plane, I really enjoyed Blood Red Sky.

https://www.netflix.com/us/title/80198645?s=a&trkid=13747225&t=cp&vlang=en&clip=81444814

• @William Redford 

Ah man, the pricing is just right for the "Do I rent it, or just buy the thing for a little more?" conundrum.

• @Grumpy Gnome 

Sorry, to the point of this thread, I prefer slow zombies for gaming.

That is in spite of thinking "Dawn of the Dead" 2004 (fast zombies) is the greatest zombie movie of all time.  Of All Time!  Zack Snyder hits it out of the park this time.  Just a really well done film, period.  You don't have to be a zombie fan to enjoy it.

https://youtu.be/Aq-oVyxJJUs

Sidenote:  That's Sara Polley, aka the little girl from the Baron Munchausen.

• Great stuff to add to the thread, thanks folks. Keep it coming!

• Speaking of Nazi Zombies... Warlord Games has given me a good deal on some of theirs recently...

Which reminded me that not only do I prefer slow zombies but I prefer zombies without weapons. 

Warlord Konflikt Zombies