Metal/Wire Weapons

• I have limited experience with printed miniatures but I'm given to understand they are very frail. Considerably more fragile than metal, plastic, or even resin miniatures.  The mini's weapons in particular seem vulnerable to gaming use.

Some have used wire/metal spears with their miniatures for years.  The advantages are obvious.  Actually straight unlike the spears on cast metal miniatures.  Far stronger and more survivable than plastic spears, etc.

Perhaps it would be possible for future STL releases to have alternate arms with "drilled" through hands suitable for use with metal/wire weapons.

Thoughts?

Some of Foundary's weapon packs:

(Really, does the above Polish lance have any chance of survival if it was printed?)

• Even hard plastic lances have a tendency to bend over time. 

White metal ones aren't that good either - they tend to bend immediately, although they are easier to straighten.

• @JTam I think that hands with holes idea is legit. Taking it a step further, for things like the big lances, you could print them with a recess for a metal core. They'd be fragile until they were put on their metal frame, but after that, they'd likely last a very long time, and be fairly robust. Not sure if printers could handle it now, but given time, I think they'll be more than capable of handling the task.

• @JTam @Battle Specter How about a hand cast on the weapon as in  other manufacturers then fix at wrist.

• @Geoff Maybury 

That doesn't really help the fact that printed weapons are supposedly super frail and break when you look at them.  

Otherwise, yes, I'm a big fan of the hand and weapon being one piece.  (Works very well provided the miniature has a decent size wrist/bracelet/sleeve).

• @Geoff Maybury Like @JTam said, you still have the brittle weapons. Theoretically, you could use a more flexible plastic, but then you'll have the droop issue. Maybe combining the two. Have a solid rod through a more flexible plastic so there's more give when you insert the rod, and have the hands with holes for the ro itself? I don't think there's going to be a perfect super easy and elegant solution. I could be wrong though.

• The hole in hand and wire weapons seems like a really good solution for the most vulnerable of weapons - spears, pikes, and similar.

As noted there is no ideal solution for other weapons.

• I imagine you could put a hole in the hand using Blender, then just print it. Some sets have seperate polearms and/or hands that are already open. Match the haft diameter and you can go with any option.

Bamboo cocktail sticks or skewers are another solution, and can be shaved or sanded down to suit (bonus: they have grain and can be drybrushed for a wood effect). If you can find some in the 1-2mm diameter range they may not need any work at all. You'll have to add a spear head, but that's not a big job. They won't droop or bend, though enough force and they can snap (although it takes more to snap one than it does to snap hard plastic). Generally they're robust enough to cope with being knocked off the table onto the floor, which is the acid test of miniature durability ;)

• @JTam It all depends on the resin you use. Some resin is very brittle (and usually cheap) other resins are much stronger (and more expensive). I use Siraya Tech resin which gives quite good strength for a moderate price $40 per liter (which works out to about 25 cents per figure).

I have dropped figures onto hardwood flooring without breakage. Still not as strong as plastic but close.

• @Eric Jackson 

Very useful information, Thank You!