Dark Age/Germanic Warrior Army Builder

• I can't stress enough the value a set like this could have. For me, as an historical player and a kitbasher, it would probably be one of the most bought sets. 

A set that could build a great barbarian army, or soak up all the quality bits left from the Goths and Late Romn sets? Priceless. 

• The body looks suitably generic that it could even accomodate sci-fi kitbashing!

• To confirm, is it Bodies and heads only? Or will there be parts for entire figures, just with limited options? 

• @Miyuso I would be okay with just bodies personally.😉

• @Hudson Adams Looking good so far, I'm a fan of the included moustache heads there - if the set is to be a truly generic 'Dark Age Warrior' set then moustache heads are a must for making the 'run-of-the-mill' troops from non-Germanic cultures like Romano-British/Welsh.

I presume then that there won't be any extra weapons at all in this set, for which the player must rely upon the spare ones from the Goths box?

• @Caratacus or when they are out the Franks box.

• @Brian Van De Walker I assume many would, but it would also cut down on people who aren't at a point yet of getting multiple boxes/don't have a bits box/are new and discouraged by not having everything in the one box

• @Miyuso maybe, but think of it as a 2 box starter army setup or the second kit you get.    You buy this along with the Goth or Franks set and then just use the extra arms from Goth or Franks set (I know the goth set would likely have more than enough arm bits leftover to equip another whole box of 60 figures).

This isn't unreasonable or that dishearting even for newbies as long as its stated on the box with a big warning label that it isn't a complet model kit but an extension kit (it works for model kit companies, it should work in this case). Most folks will buy this after trying out the first set to see if they like it.

• @Brian Van De Walker as long as it's got that label, I'm good with it. Plus would make for an interesting mix with some Death Fields bits ;) 

• @Brian Van De Walker as long as it's got that label, I'm good with it. Plus would make for an interesting mix with some Death Fields bits ;) 

• Warlord games has a new hail Ceaser book coming out soon called "Ceaser's Gallic Wars". These will be great for that.

• Of course they'd have arms and shields! LOL. 

• @Andrew Fernandez For Gauls or Germans you'll want either Warlord or Victrix's Celts or Ancient Germans respectively - these warriors are, by contrast, for Dark Ages warfare, from about 500 to 1000 years later.

• I'm so glad that this set is doing well in vox populi voting. It seems like fans of the decline and fall range haven't had much to cheer about for a minute (except that we can make a full sassanid army now) I have so many projects that will include these boys

• @Big Boi Would be good for WA to produce this set since the D&F range has had zero for 18 months or so since the Goth set came out. To be honest, though, I'm wondering how this set would compare with Victrix's new Unarmoured Early Saxons to be followed by Armoured Early Saxons in a few weeks. Add to that their 7 (!) Late Roman sets, and they now have 9 sets available. All released in 18 months or so. Be good to see more pictures of the WA competitor.

• I think that a box, with a set of heads and arms to to basic weapon/pose assortments (like the Napoleonic Prussian army builder) but then could be enhanced by options from the Goth box, would be perfect.  I'm really excited by the prospect of this box, I have several different army/uses in mind for a couple of boxes of these.

• This discussion started a year ago, and in a hobby company time, that is almost nothing.

I have written this many times on your group and on the legion group, your work and community engagement is commendable.

That being said, the more bodies per frame, the better, in my opinion. The bodies on the Goth frame are already really good. Spears and shields, of course.

I have already ordered some boxes, keep up the good work.

• @Vitor Soares As someone who bought the Goth set, I still think it should have no weapons, just be torsos with about half to 75% of them having left arms for sheilds already attached. I say this because if you buy the standard Goth kit you well already have quite a few weapons, frankly there is probably enough to equip 60 addtional guys in just one box.

• @Brian Van De Walker that would be a pretty awful product. Sorry.

• I think some STL files to go along with this box are necessary. Files like teardrop and concave shields so that these can include people in the 800s-1000s. My desire to do the Holy Roman Empire justice is strong and I am glad to have a start for a good army to recreate the battle of the Lechfeld with

• @Hudson Adams If 60 torso set seems bad, than maybe make it an 80 so they have to buy a second Goth kit😆.

From what I can tell given your other AB,  your planning on doing a 60 near soild pose figure AB for a subject that currently has several 40-60 multipart figure boxes out on the market at roughly the same price as your current sets,  thats  seems more like an awful product idea to me than just torsos and maybe heads, particularly given the fact that most of the people exicted for this seemed to be thinking about kitbashing with it given the FB group but hey its your call.

• @Brian Van De Walker @Hudson Adams  on this, I think you are both right, up to a point.

I already have the goth and the late roman boxes and I bought the AB to soak up bits and for kitbashing. So for me, less and and more bodies would be ideal. About 60 would be great, just spears for weapons and no shields.

However, from a business point of view, I completely understand that you have to cast as wide a net as possible with your product. I just think that an AB box with 40 bodies seems light, but I will buy (have bought it) anyway.

Again, congratulations for community engagement \ putting up with us.

• This box will be 48 figures. And again, we don't really care what other companies are making. Our focus is always on expanding the breadth and depth of our own catalog. 

• @Hudson Adams Personally and I could be wrong on this but I just don't really see a 48 figure set of identically dressed genric European guys as being much of an AB to add to that 30 figure Goth set or the whole range so much as competition to it and any other Northern European subjects you plan on doing for the "Fall of Rome to Norman Conquest" era unless the weapon  parts are really diffrent (Which seems unlikely to me given the  Europeans from that timeframe seemed pretty static IRL appearance and weapon wise if we are just talking grey plastic). Honestly based on your other posts it sounds more like what most people would have started with for the Goths and then moving on to doing archers with command.

As to adding depth, after this  you could focus on the Palmyrene Empire and Huns or the Dark Age Africian and Muslim states since those would actually add depth to those two lines (not Vikings since all you need to cover those old slavers is nasel guard helmets in the ABs, same deal with Saxons really), your essenatly done with the genric looking unarmored Dark Age Europeans on foot thanks to the Goth set and this unless you really want to do the Franks of charlemagne's era.

• Must admit I'm a bit confused what the Dark Age Army Builder really offers that is new over the Goth set. The Goth set is just a single sprue replicated 6x to give you 30 figures. It's offers no command frame with different armoured body types, special standards, command heads etc. So the AB just seems now to be a 48 figure version of that set (perhaps 8 sprues of 6 figures), with extra heads replacing the bows/quivers.

It's main angle is that it offers better value at £25 (since the Goth set is £25 for just 30 figs). That is clearly a potential winner. I would like to actually see a sprue mockup before considering ordering.