Conquistador unit planning

• Planning a warhammer style empire army.

Sprue A has:
    2 x armored bodies (8 per box)
    4 x padded bodies (16 per box)
    4 x sword arms (16 per box)
    3 x crossbows (12 per box)
    2 x round shields (8 per box)
    2 x heart shield (8 per box)
    4 x arquebus (16 per box)
    1 x banner (4 per box)
    1 x drum (4 per box)
    3 x halberd (12 per box)
    4 x shield arm (16 per box)
    Sprue B has:
    6 x pike (24 per box)
    2 x great sword (8 per box)
    4 x buckler (16 per box)

So in a 5 box deal, thats:
    40 armored 
    80 padded

80 one handed swords
    80 shield arms
    80 arquebus
    60 halbreds
    120 pikes
    40 great swords

If I do 
    2 units of padded arquebus x 20 each (40 men)
    1 unit of 30 padded pike (30 men)
    1 unit of 30 padded halbred (30 men) Maybe change this to another unit of Pike...
    1 unit of 30 armored greatsword (30 men) maybe have this be halbreds instead....
    1 command unit... with sword and shield (30 men)
    160 men... so I am short 40...

that means I need at least 7 boxes...

Which would give me 
    56 armored 
    112 padded

112 one handed swords
    112 shield arms
    112 arquebus
    84 halbreds
    168 pikes
    56 great swords

To this, I would add the conquistador cavalry when available, and the landsknecht ogres...

Anyone else planning units? I am hoping these will be out in february so I can justify them as a birthday purchase/ project.

• @William Redford this is a great idea to get the main bulk of a Empire army started.

• Just ordered the 5 box deal. Will see how far i can go with 120 conquistadors to start. 

• I am going to add some Fireforge Northmen to use as unit leaders and heroes. I have 2 Imperial giants that I purchased from @Lord Marcus excellent web shop. Just have to wait for the Conquistador Cavalry and the Landsknecht ogres... and then convert some artillery. Looks like it will be a fun project. 

• Cleared a shelf for the new army. The Giants are already waiting. 

• @William Redford 

Looks like it will be an awesome project.  Please post progress pics once you have the WGA miniatures in hand.

Nice hobby shelves!

Have you decided which Empire province you are doing?  Or will they be Estalians?

• Is that an army of knights with female head on the right shelf, four shelves up?

• @JTam will do. I havent decided. I have been buiding human empire armies for the last couple years. This will be my 4th. I have one made from Warlord games ECW, one from Fireforge Northmen, and one from mostly just GW minis. (30 GW greatswords costs around the same as 120 conquistadors). 

• @William Redford 

"30 GW Greatswords cost around the same as 120 Conquistadors"

Oh, I know.

• Are those Statuesque Mini's heads?  They truly make just about every mini better.

• @JTam Yeah. I deleted the pics so it doesnt derail the thread, but I used the pulp heads on the landsknechts and Perry cavalry, and the heroic heads on the Demi Gryphs and GW horses

• @William Redford 

Thanks.  The size of heads used versus the kits they were used on is very useful information.

• Got a notice that my Conquistadors and Aztecs have shipped!!!! Soon!!!

• @William Redford 

Got my shipment notice too.  Must have been a big mail day at WGA.

I was wondering which box was holding up the shipment.

• @JTam  
    Its hard to hand over sword, bow or axe over the internet, but you have my envy...

😎

• they have arrived! 

• @William Redford 

Jeli.

Happy Late Birthday!

Also, I think you may have the historic force ratios backward ;)

(JK, I know you have two different projects going.)

• The Aztecs were my prize from a WA drawing. :) I had planned on getting some but later down the line.

• @JTam  and thanks for the birthday wishes. :)

• Got my treasure too.

• Added my completed halberds to their shelf. The giants are no longer lonely. 

• My Pikeman join the shelf. 

• Starting to really look like an army.  Nice!

• So, the Conquistador cavalry and Landsknecht ogres will be part of this army. I am hoping i can make some pistoliers and/or outriders out of the cavalry. 

I am also debating getting some of these guys to make some "count as" Demigryph riders. 

• @William Redford 

Ah, that reminds me.  It would be awesome if WGA did a Reiters kit.

• Added the arquebusiers to the shelf. Hmm, the shelf may not be big enough for everything I want to add. 

• Reorganized the shelf to better fit more stuff, though thinking the army may be a 2 shelf army... The Halberds have chsnged formation, and are now in 6 ranks of 5 instead of 3 ranks of 10. The first arquebusiers are in front of them, my next unit of arquebusiers will be arranged similarly on the other side in front of the pike. That middle open section, will have my swordsman in the middle, and maybe 2 (or maybe 1) cannon and crew, and my general...

That will leave one more unit of Arquebussiers, and then eventually the Cavalry and Landsknecht ogres still to fit on this shelf...

• So overall, I will have

* 90 melee infantry (30 pike, 30 halberd, and 30 sword and shield)

* 60 ranged infantry (20 arquebusiers in 3 units)

* Artillery (1-3 cannons, not sure how many I can fit on the shelf)

* 2 Imperial Giants (2 giants... they are big... they eat vast quantities)

* 12 Landsknecht ogres (6 ogres in 2 units is the plan, but the shelf is looking smaller and smaller)

* 12 cavalry (6 sword and shield (or lance) and 6 pistoliers if I can mimic that cool pistol conversion that was shown earlier this week.)

* Heroes... I want my priest and his body guard, my General (who may now be part of the sword and shield cavalry unit) and my 2 wizards. The Bear rider may be scrapped, and the Duelist with his 2 Greatsword buddies may be scrapped as well.

• Added the first (and maybe only) cannon to the shelf. The Cavalry guy is here but probably wont stay on this shelf. 

• Sorry Brother, you only get one shelf per army.  Those are the rules.  Better get something compact and high point in there to finish it off.  Maybe a Steam Tank?  ;)

The army is looking great.  Are you going to have a mounted or dismounted army banner bearer?

• @JTam  mounted most likely. I am kind of visualizing a decked out command squad. 

• @William Redford 

Can you mount an Empire Army Standard Bearer on a demigryph/bear these days?

I always used to run mine mounted.  I considered an Army Battle Standard mission essential for an Empire army, and heavy armor on a barded horse made him a hard target.

• @JTam Demigryphs can have full command. I am probably not going to do my bear unit after all though, as I dont think I will have shelf space... and you reminded me that I am only allowed one shelf per army.. though their upsatirs shelf neighbors (the Wrath fo King Nasier) have volunteered to live in the basement, so maybe... But now I am thinking about expanded my halflings to have a full army of their own... Or maybe do a WA/Oathmark Goblin and GW Hobgrotz army. Or Perhaps a Fireforge Samurai army... so not sure where my lack of an attention span will go next. :)

• Swordsmen added to the shelf.