The Northman - Great Looking Viking Movie

• Not going to lie, this looks pretty good from the trailer.

The Northman Trailer

Staring The Queen's Gambit:

Bjork!!!:

Nicole Kidman as Hamlet's Mom:

And even more starring Alex Skarsgård 

As Eric Northman:

• @JTam True Blood reference or same character? I'll admit i thought the same thing when i saw the trailer. 

• I think it's just a humorous more or less coincidence.  

For those that didn't watch Trueblood, Alex Skarsgàrd plays a old Vampire / former Viking who goes by the name Eric Northman.  Now we have a movie called "The Northman" where he plays a Viking.  So spoiler alert, he evidently gets turned into a Vampire shortly after the events of this movie ;)

• It looks good.  The director's done some of my favorite recent movies, so I'm looking forward to it. 

• @William Redford 

A Brujah my friend... if you ever played Vampire The Masquerade.

Let's hope that movie is going to as be good as the13th Warrior, the awesome Valhalla Rising or the Last King - Birkebeinerne .... 👍

..and now we should ask for some Norse ferocious warriors box set and sprues.. 

• @Steven StGeorges I have... Though I preferred the Ventrue... The example in dark ages where they would trap enemy swords by letting themselves be impaled with them... 

• I'm not sure if I brought this up before ;) but some 28mm plastic Viking Shield Maidens would hit the spot.

https://wargamesatlantic.com/community/xenforum/topic/57522/what-dark-ages-sets-would-you-like-to-see-next

• Seeing this tonight. Excited. 

• @William Redford 

Hype.  Post your impressions post movie if you will.

Read this review last night:

https://www.slashfilm.com/839762/the-northman-director-robert-eggers-talks-norse-myth-and-conan-influences-interview/

Real attempts at historical authenticity, and nods to the greatest fantasy film of all time?  I'm in.

• So... I guess I would give it a solid c-... If it had been an hour shorter i would have liked it more... there was not enough actual story or action. They focused more on kind of mundane non important aspects and fast forwarded over actual plot items. There was fighting but again they kind of fast forwarded through much of it, or it was done in shadow so you could not see the actual action. (though the first half of the movie was pretty good in that regard). 

The acting was good. Especially Alexander Skaarsgard and Anya Taylor-Joy. i think especially Anya, but she was not focused on as much as I would have liked. (and makes me want that Viking plastic shield maiden ser that @JTam mentioned all the more... even though Anya was Rus not viking....)

Overall, it was worth seeing, But I am glad it was at the old (non-recliner) theatre so i only paid $6.75 to see it. (Still $18 for popcorn and soda though...) 

• So, I got a different movie review sent to me from my coworker (who saw it with his wife):

(Translation:  It was extremely good.)

Another write up on how metal this movie is:

Metal as F

Sadly, it seems to be bombing:

Bombing

So kiss off seeing any worthwhile historical movies for a while.

• @JTam  

Totally forgot to say we have seen it a few days ago... I totally enjoyed every single minute of that movie. Using part of Saxo Grammaticus' Hamlet mixed with elements from Icelandic Sagas and the Poetic Edda -with a touch of Conan the Cimmerian- is an awesome idea. A pity there is no Old Norse -subtitled in whatever- available.. 

The Northman's bluray is going to rejoin Vahalla Rising, Aguirre the Wrath of God and the Head hunter' as soon as possible. 👌

• @Steven StGeorges 

Glad you enjoyed it.

I think I read the director did want to do it in old Norse.... but didn't have the budget / clout of Mel Gibson.

• @JTam  

A pity really... since all scenes shot in Old Norse are ... awesome -especially the Berserker ceremony.