Ooh Rah preparing to "Get Some"

• @Alex Core so no colonial marine knock offs... cadian knock offs?

@Jimil Louis we occasionally see@Hudson Adams hete. But not often.

@Jayme Shaker wouldn't the name have to start with an N? Nando's Knock-offs!

I do find the knock off talk a little strange when the death fields line in general is kind of the place for "not-GW" imperial guard. I mean sure they have other uses and inspirations but (again from comments) it seems the biggest use is for that. And Cadians already share that same colonial marine/mobile infantry design element, as mentioned earlier in this thread. The only real difference would be replacing their rifles with las guns. 

as I said though. I would only buy 1 box... so I am not super passionate on this... but... again looking at all the comments and the vote WA had on their poll, I think what has been shown is good and others seem to like it. 

• @William Redford They came, they rant, we kicked there ugly a**. "Oh Rahs". Even persuaded me to want some, and try Deathfields. Would still have been more happy with real models, as in the "Spec Opps", but as that won`t happen.

• @Grumpy Gnome I have about 20 Cadians and 2 Cadian weapon teams... from WAAAAAAAAY back in the day... I think I bought them in 2007 ish? I liked them then... but now they just look big headed and ham fisted... which says a lot since that was GW's look and these are even more so. 

Edit: 3 weapon teams

I just checked and have about 40 of the old metal Karskins too. 

• @Geoff Maybury The door is still open for "real marines" or other USA death field teams, as Hudson Adams said. Hopefully the set is a success so that they do the female set that Hudson stated.. Being able to make a Vasquez or Ferro would be great... or a Dizzy... Not sure if Cadia had female soldiers.

• I would hope the Knock Off's alternate heads will make them look like the Colonial Marines. They might not be showing them for a reason. 

The pants are awful. 

• @William Redford I want modernesque sci fi infantry I can use as Cadians, but I do not want models that look like Cadians, or Aliens Marines, or Staship Troopers guys. If I wanted those, I would just buy the actual models. 

I don't get this weird fetish like attachment you have for the Knock Offs. Just buy Colonial Marines and swap the heads if you like the look so much. Mad Robot has a ton of alternate heads that go with their CDF Marines.

• @Alex Core My counter to that is, this is what the set is. You can see the pictures. People like them. This is what is being made. If you dont like them, its cool, you know not for everyone. I dont get why people try to change stuff just to fit what they want. Maybe this is not the set for you. But hopefully a future set will be more to your liking. 

re-reaading what you wrote. :) "Wierd fetish like..." wow. OK. :). I like the set they have shown. I like it because it looks like something I liked when I was younger. I am not a death fields player, I am not in general a scifi player and while I still have my space marines and some scattered eldar, dark eldar and some imperial guard, I havent played 40K since 2008/9. I still occasionally buy some 40K minis I like... but I havent put together an army in a long time for it. My point about "knock offs" is that it is what OTHER people are buying these for. For use as another thing in a different game. You yourself have said you want it for that reason. I am certainly not obsessed with "Knock offs". But also saying "if I want the model that this is being made in inspiration to I will just buy that one", is pretty disingenuos. Considering that while both colonial marines and Mobile infantry are available in plastic, they are either oop (mobile infantry) or not really in the samel scale or usable in teh same manner. This kit is currently in "additional sculpting" status. The initial part has been done. While I expect somethings could change, its doubtful that they are going to revamp the whole kit. And really why would they. They had a poll... people liked them enough to push up production on them. So while I get that you and and a few others have said they dont like them, this is what they are. I have said all along that I will only buy 1 box of these, even if they stay exactly the same (which is what I personally like). 

• With this set, hopefully I can make a Leprechaun in space tribute game... The marines will have to battle a Halfling in leprechaun colors... 

Leprechaun in Space!

Or Jason X... and underated movie... 

Jason in space!!!!

• @William Redford Wow....Just wow. Yes, some people like them. Some people do not. I would hope the makers would be able to come to a compromise. 

I do not know if I said it or someone else, but why make Knock Off Colonial Marines when other companies make actual ones that are in the right scale and still in production. MI for SST are also still in production. It would make more sense to make generic sci fi infantry than models that people will look at and go....ah, Knock Offs! Like how the Go Bots were the second rate versions of the Transformers. 

Sure people like them. Other people do not. <shrugs> That is not a defense. "They remind me of something I liked when I was younger"/ Uh what were those? REAL Colonial Marines? 

And yes, you have a weird fetish for these figures and are getting in an uproar at anyone who seems to not like them or the features. What would happen if they did change the models? 

• @Alex Core lol. Yes. I like the figures that the company has shown and want to buy a box of what they are making absolutely translates to a weird fetish. :) you are absolutely right. :) you win the internet. Congrats. 

it's obvious that we are not going to see eye to eye on this. Especially as I am a deviant with a weird fetish for wanting to buy what a company I like has shown. So, in the spirit of compromise I say again. I hope the set stays as WA has shown as that is what I would like to purchase. If they change it to more suit what you want vs what they wanted to produce, then I am happy for you and hope you buy enough to make up for all those who wanted the set as is and won't get that. Either way, I will buy 1 box or I won't. So my purchase won't really change things for WA. Hopefully , my weird fetish aside, your purchase will. :)

• Hmmm the selfishness is amazing lol. The one guy said he hopes they could compromise, the other guy says I'm gonna take my ball and go home if I don't get what I want. 

Yeah, not feeling the vibe on these. I might them for the heads and torsos, but not the rest of the figure. 

I hope they do a space M60 for that Rambo vibe!!!! I second pilots ( sitting down!) and I wish they could do different body types. But I guess these guys are already done??? 

Maybe the back to the sculpting phase = a chance to change the things some people do not like or some things they want?

• Oh and I like the name Nando's Knock Offs!

• @Grumpy Gnome There are no hard plastic Mobile Infantry available, someone still sells the metal light infantry I believe, but the name of the company escapes me. There are no official figures anymore since nobody has the rights to the IP.

Colonial Marines wise, the boardgame (another glorious day in the corps) is oop. I'd have to check on the Aliens vs Predator boardgame but I believe that is also oop.

Quick check reveals nobody selling official Colonial Marines figures, never mind in hard plastic. You might be able to find some of the boardgame figures, but they aren't readily available right now.

People are very interested in them, some will use them as Colonial Marines, some as Mobile Infantry, some as generic infantry, some as Cyberpunk police etc.

• @Alex Core I don't want Colonial Marine knockoffs. I want modern not Cadians sci fi infantry.

Ok, but I think that's mutually exclusive with the harder sci-fi/nearer future look that WGA are going for with these. I think it's pretty clear that this is a fairly generic future US infantry set, which pays some degree of homage to similar ideas presented in the SST movie and Aliens franchise. What you're suggesting isn't so much a compromise as it is an almost entirely different kit; as such the suggestion isn't really constructive at this point in the design and sculpting process. 

Take the Bulldogs as an example, the initial renders were pretty close to the final product, and it was mostly small changes like whether they had shoulder pads, or what weapons went onto the sprue which were up for discussion, rather than the main aesthetic of the models. I think we're past that point with this set already, and given how enthusiastic people seem to be I can't see any major changes happening at this stage. 

You make a fair-enough point about the trousers; although I'm not sure I see exactly the same thing when I look at them. Given the scale and the medium, the garters (is that what they're called?) running around the upper thighs compressing the material there will need some degree of exaggeration to convey that effect, and I think that's why you think the trouser legs look too large. Personally I think the seam on the front of that part of the trousers, which doesn't continue up the front or down the legs, does look rather odd and reads as a separate thing on top of the trousers. I would support flattening that area somewhat, and either removing the seam or continuing it down the legs to make them look more like a single contiguous garment. 

• I'd love some hard ultramodern/sci-fi, but Death Fields might not be the setting to do it in. The modern range is incoming with the teased Modern Operators might in time with upgrade sprues provide this.

Iron Core may also provide something useful in time given it had (before they went oop) American and Russian factions lore wise at least with some teasers for the Russians.

• @William Redford I've never seen the Leprechaun in space movie, I'm going to watch that and maybe buy a halfling sprue.

• @John Wilson I will say... it's not super high quality but is a fun movie. 

@Grumpy Gnome Jason X has a few really good scenes... not super great in the execution but conceptionaly good. Both involving holo deck type technology. 

I am pleased that several people with dessenting opinions signed up just to make the one comment voicing their disapproval almost in the exact same style and language as the original person. That speaks well of this forum and in no way implies a single person making multiple accounts to try and emphasize their position. :)

• @William Redford Honestly, I wouldn't expect it to be high quality. Still looks like its worth a viewing.

• What's a "Nando"?

• @Hudson Adams No idea!

• @Hudson Adams Its a highly trained special team of Chicken dishes. 

Nando's restaraunt link

• LOL if someone did create a couple sock puppets JUST for this they have bigger worries in their life. 

• I've been curious about the people saying the rifle is too big. For shits and giggles I measured one of the 3D prints and multiplied by 56 (i.e. 1/56 scale) and it's the same length as a G-36. Cannon Fodder rifles are 7mm longer not including the fixed bayonet. 

• @Hudson Adams I know its a different topic. But on the cannon fodder guys I have assembled I have cut off the bayonets and most of the barrel. just leaving a little nub. 

• @William Redford I also do this, makes for a more 'realistic' weapon.

• @Hudson Adams Maybe because of the perspective, seeing them from different angles (like the carbine) might change that opinion.

• @William Redford yes that's the "shotgun" look for them. I had the fronts done that way for just this reason.

• @Hudson Adams Sometimes in a render online things look bigger. I was wary about ordering Mad Robot heads, and they were ok. 

That being said, the Cannon Fodder guns look huge in the pics I have seen. 

• @Grumpy Gnome Seems like a lot of the bulk is the grenade launcher.

• So the original artwork for the Knock Offs was posted on the Facebook page. There, the leg things look like straps connected to the holster on the right and a pouch on the left. 

The renders though....I still do not think it is being executed right. Something that should be resculpted maybe?

• @Keith Gatchalian the pants look...thicker...under the straps, like they were wearing boots or socks. I guess just the way they digitally sculpted it. 

Heaven forbid you dislike something about them though and state your opinion. 

• Rifle with grenade launcher muzzle area is apparently a rectangle because...

WGA on facebook (answer to my question about this): "can't tool a hole in the front without creating an undercut. Can either paint a black dot or drill a small indent to represent the barrel."

So we can stop asking now. 😁

• @Grumpy Gnome because that's not the design.

• I really don't get the fuss over the end of the weapon.  

You have to drill the barrels on every other mini ever made.  

The rectangle shape looks futuristic.  Barrels have been octagon shaped,

round, and why not rectangle in the future?

• I can not speak for others but the “fuss” I am causing is because I am not keen on the aesthetic of the barrel and I would like to know why that design was chosen. If it was because the artist wanted to create something new and there have been octagonal barrels... then fine, just let me know that. If it is inspired by some contemporary weapon design I am unaware of, cool... let me know what it is so that I can become better informed. Then I would know, and knowing is half the battle. Go Joe!

• It's a sci-fi gun. Pew pew. Some of you take this stuff way too seriously. LOL. 

• @Hudson Adams Yes and no. I am lazy, I'd like to have someone make me the perfect science fiction figures and not have to fix things on them to like them. I like 90% of these models. I'm hoping I can clip off the guns and put in a 3rd party. I'm hoping the leg issues are just the way the renders look. On some of them they look fine, on others, there is a bagginess beneath the strap. 

Gamers love to b****. Just type in Games Workshop and prices to a Google search! 

• @William Redford

Reference:

Since at least 2011 when Cadian LT Mira shows up in the Space Marine video game:

There's a book series about a Cadian NCO:

(The Minka Lesk novels spun off of the book "Cadia Stands" by Justin Hill, which I found to be very good.  I eagerly picked up "Cadian Honour" but found it pretty garbage.  Giant plot holes, inconsistent logic, just dragged.  Shame really.  I didn't pick up the next book.)

EDIT:

I forgot about the to be released:

• Another odd barrel shape:

And this is a conventional barrel, but it presents a rectangle front appearance:

• Hasselfree Miniatures has some nice models ready to go to supplement this kit:

Or maybe you're ready to fly the friendly skies?

• @JTam Now that actually looks like a pulse rifle, which leaves me wondering if those keep repeating that the Ooh Rah rifle/GL is just like the pulse rifle have actually seen the original lately.

• Found this prop, which has a similar rectangle muzzle area as the Ooh Rah's Rifle/GL.....

• @John Wilson I think that is why they are calling it a knock off. It looks like a pulse rifle. If they had just made it look more generic no one would be bitching. 

The money I send to Anvil or Mad Robot for replacement guns could have gone to WGA. Just sayin.

Now that rifle prop you posted does NOT look like a pulse rifle.

• @Grumpy Gnome So... :) I appreciate the the level of detail you look at minis. And personally I hate when people tell me "relax, they are just toys..." So, please keep up with the way you look at them and post and ask questions. Everyone has a different take and that is what makes forums great, being able to see other points of view, whether you personally agree or not. 

I see Cannon Fodder girls status has changed to "in production". Wonder when pre-order will start for them. 

@John Wilson That prop looks cool. I like the look of the current guns for this set, but I would have been happy with something like that too. Honestly, I couldnt really get a read on the guns at first, as like @Grumpy Gnome said, the lack of a barrel was throwing me off. I just figured they were still WIP and I liked the progress... but with your picture I can actually picture it now...  Makes me like them all the more. I know Weird fetish... :)

• This weapon looks good:

It has some design cues from Starship Troopers:

Ilysian pattern lasguns:

And Aliens:

It's a nice stand in for any of those settings.  

Frankly WGA hit it out of the park with this set.

• @Grumpy Gnome Glad to see you back. You hadnt posted in a while and your abscence was felt. :)

• @William Redford @Grumpy Gnome @John Wilson  @JTam Well we all need the  pa   of a saint now, we all want em, right now, and Damit we gotta wait. Still guys the saying is, "Good things come to those who wait, OH-RAH" Sorry couldn`t resist, my minds on pluse rifle mode. Cheers all.

• @Geoff Maybury A day in the Space Marine Corps is like a day on the farm. Every meal's a banquet! Every paycheck a fortune! Every formation a parade! I love the Corps!

• https://wargamesatlantic.com/blogs/news/ooh-rah-paint-test

Painted test model posted.

Looks good.

• I definitely like the look of this more than I did the render; to my eye the cloth below the hip-straps looks much more like part of a single contiguous garment that it did in super-high resolution monochrome. Not to harp on or anything, but the barrel still intrigues me; I had "read" it as a part of the chassis (is that the right term?) which overhangs the end of the muzzle, but here it's painted as a pair of conjoined barrels, which I hadn't considered. On reflection it looks like it's a powerful weapon that needs a very heavy barrel, or a secondary barrel beneath to stabilise it while firing. One advantage of this design, that I can see, is that painting a smaller aperture will sell the gun as being more over-engineered and therefore more powerful-looking, or allow for odd numbers of barrels to make it seem more exotic. 

• 2 / 3