Landsknecht Ogres

• closeup of the heads

• Could be tempted by these they do look good.@William Redford 

• @Geoff Maybury I will get a box either way, but I want to see how mantic's look. If I don't like mantic's then I will get the 3 boxes of WA

• Clever. The WW2 looking Ogre heads (GI helmets and berets) will become useful trade items for people who might be doing projects of that era that involve fantasy or mad science elements. Or who want their 40K Ogryns to have that look. 

As far as the weapons looking more "modern" than science fiction... far too often science fiction weapons just look dumb. These look to be something like a BAR - which makes perfect sense for an Ogre type that can handle the recoil of large calibre slugs fired in bursts.

• @Steven StGeorges Berets were worn in WW2. Those heads would be fine for that era (and later).

• I'm a bit surprised about some of the part placement. It's possible this isn't the final layout. 

In particular we have four BFGs to three bodies. It would seem to make more sense to me that the fourth BFG be dropped for another pistol arm (at the moment there's only one), or some pistol HANDS to attach to the two handed weapon left arms.

Edit: I just realised one of the BFGs is a loose weapon, so that makes sense; three sets of gun arms plus one for slinging on the back with the hands doing something else. Would still like some pistol hands.

• @William Redford there are photos out of mantics new plastics. Are you thinking of a direct comparison? Because I will get that for you as soon as both of them are available.

• @Lord Marcus Yeah, I want to see how they look together. I have some of Mantic's Restic ogres, and they are one of the few mantic minis I like. (the others being the demon guys and girls) So if the new Ogres dont look too out of place next to WA ogres then I will likely mix the two.

• @Mark Dewis 

Problem is ... historical accuracy here. The Vain -so the DF team- is supposed to be former Lansquenets -so of German, mostly Bavarian, or Swiss stock- transformed into Brutes. So US GI helmet and Anglo-saxon beret are irrelevant; to my mind, futuristic version of their Renaissance equipment should have been a better option. So I think I am going to use GW Crusaders and/or Adeptus Mechanicus bits to convert them accordingly to the original concept.

Ogre heads wearing for instance Grognards, Bulldogs or Oh-Raas  headgears could have been another good option too... 🧐

• Gotta go against the group here. As with the spiders and the lizardmen, I am bothered by sprue space being wasted on non-fantasy bits. Be it modern or sci-fi, I like to enjoy them (if I do in the first place) separately from actual proper fantasy. Hell, even renaissance black powder stuff is a stretch for me.

but am now worried about how many figues will be in a box. If its 12 figues. That is 4 body frames so how many weapon frames? and if its 3 body frames (9 figures) then more weapon frames but less bodies... 

It'll be half and half. There are three of each major weapon (gw, halb, leadbelcher) per folio pair, but the body sprue doesn't even have enough melee weapons to go around. There's some neat balance to it that looks rather intentional.

• @Blutze I agree on the space used for SCIFI. On a predominately fantasy release that was supposed to include some bits for Death Fields it seems like the main sprue caters more to Deathfields. 4 laser rifles (3 with hands) compared to 2 black powder on that sprue.. If they reduced the total to 9 to a box I will be pretty disappointed as you reduced the number in the box by 25%. I had planned on doing units of 6... which means in boxes of 9 I would have to get 4 boxes to have the 36 I wanted... 1st world problems, I know... but still annoying. 

At 3 Sprues of each that IS enough weapons to outfit all of the box the same... which pretty much confirms your guess (and my fear) that its 9 to a box. Oh well. 

• Could still be four folios deep, with the chesticles being separate (to flatten the sprue). But at four bodies per body sprue, that'd be a bonkers strong <2.5€ per large-sized dude, and still leave room for more onehanded weapons if you just drop all of those magazinefed, bipodless machineguns.

Kinda reminds me of the space elves I got floating around. Some of their arms are good for nothing but hands (actually just hands) and those little skull emblems you're pretty likely to ruin when trying to slice them off the gun anyway.

• Hmmm. Of the heads we have seven modern/SF options (3xGI helmet, 3xBeret and the techy chinguard one), eight premodern/Fantasy ones (3xMorion, 3x skullcap, the bald one with a match in his teeth and the execution hood one) and six general heads (bald or hair), plus four sets of BFG guns. I really cannot see that as anything more than minimal Deathfields options. Only seven out of 21 heads (for THREE FIGURES!!!) are unsuitable for fantasy use. Floppy hats to make the bald heads definitely pre-modern.

Plus three sets of tech gun arms, one loose gun and a couple of grenades. One gun above bare minimum.

This IS "some bits for Death Fields use" and not "caters more for Death Fields use".

@Steven StGeorges 

Are you suggesting they should have Stalhelme instead? It's a valid opinion, but at the end of the day WGA is flogging these to Americans.

Puzzled by your refernce to "Anglo-Saxon Beret" though. The military beret - even in that style - was a French innovation, and it's worn by pretty much by every military in the world these days - including Germany and Switzerland.

• @Mark Dewis 

Stahhelme mmm... 🤔 or a Morion with Stahhelme elements... 👌

Anglo-saxon style beret since it is side by side with the GI headgear so seems more logical to me... the classic French military beret is a direct evolution from the French Alpine Rangers own model -still used nowadays- itself adapted from the more mundane Basque/Béarn beret... So Ogre Lansquenets should wear a modernish Vatican Swiss Guard typical alpine beret... more in the mood of their Renaissance equipment and fashion. I hope than the Roman DF team will not come with GI helmets and berets.. 🧐

• @Steven StGeorges 

The tight beret was also designed by the French, for their tank crews towards the end of WW1. 

However, yes... the most common military beret design does derive from a British copy of the French tanker ones. My point was really that it has been a common international military fashion for more than half a century. "Anglo Saxon" isn't really a term I'd have thought useful here. Unless we're talking headwear from the 9th century.

• @Mark Dewis Yeah, I mean I know people wanted them for SCIFI too, and I am not gonna claim I have a biiger right to fantasy than people have to scifi... but... I look at the sprue and think they probably could have put an extra torso on it or put all the fantasy bits on the main sprue and been able to inclue 12 in a box. Which means that the Deathfields (which was a srcondary use, as they said it would be a fantasy set and would "try" to include some scifi bits) being added reduced the overall box numbers. I know it makes the box more appealing for some, but all it did for me (and probably other purely fantasy buyers) was reduce the value in the box by 25%.

But again, 1st world problems. I will still buy the box and still enjoy it. Here is a photoshop with all the non-fantasy bits removed. 

• And just for fun... here is an all fantasy set with some female torsos... :)

• @Mark Dewis 

Okay complete misunderstanding over here... 

The Ogres were human Lansquenets, let's say mercenaries from Switzerland fighting François Ier at the Bataille de Marignan... but friendly alien DF agents (during a photo safari on Earth... looking for new specimens) abducted some of them while passing by (in fact they were looking after one knight called Bayard but made a mistake, catching instead an unit of Lansquenets whom commanding officer name was Von Wattenwyl of Bern.. anyway a catch is a catch) and introduce them to the joys of Death Fields League...

Slowly thanks to  their famed Swiss efficiency, they made themselves known and enjoyed a life of endless battles to the cheers of the crowd until new teams came from Earth with better weaponry and a more modern way to fight... After a series of stinging defeats, one of their managers offered them to undergo some enhancements during boot camps from one obscure sponsor, and gradually the once proud warriors turned into vain Brutes... sacrificing their humanity so they will not rejoin the endless ranks of Cannon Fooder teams.

They came back as the Vains.. using a very more aggressive way of fighting, enjoying every single bit of battle fury, looking for pretty close and very personal situations as fast as possible... but still wearing a more and more flamboyant neo Renaissance outfit while struting around... discarding any piece of a too modern equipment but some of them are using pretty noisy BF autoguns instead of their traditional arquebus.... Enemy headgears are worthless to them, excepted as trophies. 

• @Steven StGeorges and the kit will let you achieve that concept.

But there are other people with different ideas, and WGA is in the business of flogging as many kits as possible. Aside from anything else, those modern Ogre heads will probably work well with the Spacenam bodies. Useful Spares are as much a part of WGA's kit design as anything.

@William Redford Four bodies means you would need four matchlock, four halberd and four two handed weapon options too. OR that you do not provide each of those to each body as the current design does. As it is, one of the halberds is a swap option for the spear.

It's a fair argument to say scrap the modern parts for more hand weapons and pistols. But I think this pretty much has to be a three figure sprue layout.

• I mean... we all KNOW the modern bits are really there to tempt 40K players to buy the box. But the reason for the American flavour of those heads could well be the Spacenam kit. Catachan Jungle Fighters have Ogryns too, eh?

I MIGHT get the box for Blood Bowl. Landsknecht style is Empire style, and that look works better with a Human team. OTOH, I do already have perfectly good Ogres, so it's really only if I want to start an Ogre team that I'd be able to use them.

• @Mark Dewis I wouldn't go that far. I know the scifi bits will be really popular and sell more boxes, which means WA makes more money and are more inclined to make more stuff I like. So... ;) I'm just being salty. 

The photo shop fantasy sprue I mocked up, I am sure instead of ghe 3 extra torsos and 3 extra pistols I could have put 1 extra halberd. I already have the extra hand cannon and great sword in it to make 4 of each of those. The pistols, I would have liked to have 2 total but opposite hands. So you could have a leader type with 2 pistols. 

The female bits were just for fun, but would make the kit more competitive mantic's since they will have females. 

overall, I still like the set. I kind of wish I had the money to fund a half sprue with other ogre torsos and heads (including the females), And pistol hands. I wonder how much a half sprue costs to tool. 

• Personally, I would have been okay if they just had extra bits that made guns and melee weapons look SciFi once attached them, but this looks like it well work .out okay

• @Blutze They introduced Ogre kingdoms for WFB in either late 6th or early 7th edition IIRC, though a lot of the names for units in Age of Sigmar were changed from their original WFB names.

As for using the firearm hands from this new Ogre Kit in WFB 4th edition retro armies, the core rulebook had full points costs for all of the main basic races and every main weapon baring the Pike, so you could easily knock up an unoffical unit entry for Empire Ogre's with handguns, if you needed to.

• I'm definitely in few a few packs of these. I'm already planning conversions that I would have had great difficulty doing with other firms metal Ogres.

• They introduced Ogre kingdoms for WFB in either late 6th or early 7th edition IIRC

6th. One of those factions that didn't get an update in 7th at all. That earlier discussion was specifically about mournfangs though, a new unit introduced in 8th.

Maybe I should look into hoovering up some oldhammer pdfs. Don't think I'll play it however, I hate learning new rulesets when the one I'm already using works just as well.

• Placed my order.. Getting the 5 box deal. This will be my Christmas Present from the wife. 

• @Mark Dewis I`ve the original D-20 system Wierd War 2 they are perfect for me, and for Weird War Nam.

• @William Redford Nice one Bill thats a snap mate, Ooh-Rahs and Harvesters for me from Eileen.

• @Mark Dewis I think its the WWW2 and Nam our kid.

• @Mark Dewis Nam Green Beret`s conversions,

• 2 / 2