Museum/Historic Sites/ Displays Photo Thread

• Armory Museum, Château St-Ange/Castle Sant'Angelo, Roma

• Salle d'armes/Arsenal, Château St-Ange/Castel Sant'Angelo, Roma

• @Steven StGeorges 

Awesome Brother!  

Amazing pictures of an amazing collection.  Thanks for sharing them.

EDIT:  All kinds of great pieces.  But the great helm, pistols, and the dagger with pop out stabby cross guards really stick out to me.

• @JTam 

Thanks mate

I was expecting to find out a lot more digital pictures from various european military museums: like the Musée de l'Armée at the Invalides in Paris, the Musée de la Cavalerie/Musée des Blindés (both based at Saumur but not at the Castle cause of the Cadre Noir) or the Imperial War Museum for instance. But all are from the time of analog photography (I retired my 80s Leica cameras after a desastrous shoting run at Chambord during quite a downpour) and I am too busy to dig them out from storages boxes and scan some of the most interesting shots. 

• @Steven StGeorges 

I was privileged to visit the Musée de l'Armée at the Invalides in Paris in the long, long ago as well.  Indeed, back in the 35mm film days.  Marshall Fock's tomb and a Napoleonic breastplate with a cannon ball hole in it stick out most in my mind a couple decades later. The museum had a temporary exhibit on the Holocaust when I visited.    After my buddy and I quite the museum and went to scoop up our German girlfriends it made for a slightly awkward conversation.   

• Naval Museum, Varna, Bulgaria.

Ordnance Cat:

• Oshkosh B'Gosh!

The M-ATV.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oshkosh_M-ATV

The M-ATV is the smallest of the current MRAPs.  Although as you can see it's still huge.  It's also easily the coolest of the MRAPs.  I'm sure the Taliban is enjoying tooling around in these beauties.  

Up top is the CROWS. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/CROWS

It mounts a variety of crew served weapons and allows firing from inside the hull.  Optics and accuracy is good. You still have to reload out of cover and the system is surprisingly frail.

• @JTam Than you our kid, these shots have been coppied to my growing file, would love a1/56th scale kit. I also took the ordinance cat from the previous file, so like "Dinky" I couldn`t resist. Thanks "Bro" for all the pics. 

• @Geoff Maybury 

I recently dug out some old Afghanistan pics.  Good memories.  No.  Not really.

But I did have some good cat pics to share with you:

For those curious about the military stuff.  The truck is I believe a M1151 uparmored HMMWV with upgraded "Frag 5" doors. 

M1151 - Wikipedia

Fragmentary Armor (Frag) Kits (globalsecurity.org)

The turret is one of the theater modified jobs where they welded frames and mounted windshield armored glass panels around the top to provide the gunner more protection while still providing visibility to look for enemy, IEDs, etc.  That's a M240B machine gun mounted.   

In the last picture our cat friend is rubbing itself against the antenna of my MBITR.  (Handheld radio - thrown on the roof prior to loading freqs or maybe it was time to change batteries.)

AN/PRC-148 - Wikipedia

The tape on the antenna was to tape the antenna down on itself / break up the outline of the whip.  Radios being a key target indicator for a leader.

In the background are Hesco barriers.

Hesco bastion - Wikipedia

Modern day gambions, they pop them open and then fill them with dirt, gravel, or rocks.  Saves filling about 3 trillion sandbags.  

One more animal pic from Afghanistan:

• RG-31 in Afghanistan circa 2007.

RG-31 Nyala - Wikipedia

One of the earliest and smallest MRAPs the Army fielded.  

Still huge compared to HMMWV though.  This particular one is mounting a M2 "Ma Deuce" .50 Cal machine gun.

M2 Browning - Wikipedia

As part of an Engineer route clearing package

• @JTam   Have you ever been to Yakima in Washington? I always wonder how much Afghanistan was like Yakima... and I hated Yakima. 

Thanks for sharing the photos though, very interesting!

• @Grumpy Gnome 

Thanks!

I was never stationed / trained at Yakima.  I mostly hear good things about being stationed at Ft Lewis, but I suppose no training area is entertaining.  

Have you ever been to Arizona?   Most of Afghanistan looks just like Arizona... just with less roads and more camels.   

• @JTam 

Lucky you... found out some digital pictures of my latest sojourn in Paris circa 2015.. so The Invalides but only the Shrine since wife is not into any form of militaresque tourism.

• L'Hôtel des Invalides, le Mausolée/The Shrine

Le tombeau de Napoléon / the Tomb of Napoleon.

• @JTam 

And your favourite, le Tombeau du Maréchal Foch / Shrine of Marechal Foch

Please note, The Hôtel and the Museum were under Vigipirate level Red -the penultimate level of threats. So Museum was closed excepted for scheduled school visits and some tourist groups, while access to the Mausoleum was limited to 10 persons at the time. 

• @Steven StGeorges 

Great pics.  Thanks.  That is how a SOLDIER'S tomb should look.  

Why was the facility at Vagpirate Red?

• @JTam 

Always a pleasure my friend ... while I must confess I am still amazed when looking at Napoleon's funerary rotunda, quite an impressive architectural work of art.

Vigipirate had been active most of 2015 thanks to some terrorist threats, mostly radical Muslim factions. All of museums and monuments in France were garrisoned a military detachment in order to secure such sensitive locations. It was quite an experiment to come across heavily armed French soldiers -mostly Légionnaires, Paratroopers and/or Navy Riflemen (depending of where you were at the moment) patrolling gardens, corridors and rooms of highly touristic places. For instance, Mont St-Michel was under Navy Riflemen command, the Invalides under Paratroopers', Versailles and Chambord under Légionnaires' and so forth. The main exception was Saumur, under Cavalry command like Fontevraud Abbey under the 2nd Dragoon Regiment. 

• A beautifully restored Harley at the Route 66 Roadhouse Bar and Grill:

Harley Davidson WLA

• I've got some good shots of the Musée de l'Armée and the Imperial War Museum from 2019. Also from the battlefield tour in Flanders.  I'll try to upload trhem on the weekend.

Torpedo Boat "Druzhki":

Truly a beautiful ship.  Dat hull!

WW2 Veteran Minesweeper:

• Torpedo boat:

• What a stunning way to do a museum in a gallery of trees like a park and navel you`ed expect tanks but not boats so dramaticaly shown. Nice one Tam.

• @JTam Sorry for slow repley, nice pics, taping rhis with Dinky, inon the key board,   how apt, sorry the memories not so good but thanks for sharing, the cats alittle treasure,,  mines alittle shhit right no0w.

• @Geoff Maybury 

Most all the public spaces in Varna were shaded by giant trees.  Made strolling about pleasant even during the height of summer.

All cats are little shits.  It's part of their charm ;)

• Recently visited the National Military Museum I'm Bucharest, Romania.  Incredible museum.  Really enjoyed it.  

Had a suit of Reiter armor.

More pictures here:

https://wargamesatlantic.com/community/xenforum/topic/65470/reiter-aka-schwarzreiter

• National Military Museum, Bucharest, Romania.  Romanians in the Napoleonic Wars:

More pictures here:

https://wargamesatlantic.com/community/xenforum/topic/79848/genuine-gap-hungarian-austrian-infantry

• @Sean Tighe 

You don't see a Somua everyday!  Thanks for sharing the pictures.

The detail shots of the additional armor on the Sherman are interesting. Did it have the additional rectangle ammo storage plates on the side of the hull?

• National Military Museum, Bucharest, Romania.

The Renaissance in Romania:

More pictures here:

https://wargamesatlantic.com/community/xenforum/topic/80062/the-renaissance-in-romania

• More dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures  - Phoenix Zoo, Phoenix, AZ:

• @JTam Thank you for sharing these lovelly DInos and other animals, don`t Know why but I could not acksess it till today, and had been really looking forward to seeing them. Well worth the wait coppied and filed with ours great Tam.  

Nice display of WW1 combatants:

Russian:

French:

British:

German:

Austro-Hungarian:

• Some highlights from the local Veteran's Day Parade:

Beautiful Jeep.

"Loach."

28mm-ish Battleship.

Tricked out HMMWV.

Ambo.

Gama Goat.

Display of Romanian uniforms and equipment from the mid 1800s:

• @JTam You made my night, oh boy shes a gem , you can make out the handles on the wipers and the gravity bar that conects them great photo. If I`m not mistaken he`s a Thompson in the Garands rifle older, that and a M1 Carbine fitted just as well mine had all the clutter as well. No M60 though bad enough in the 70`s with the carbine, if i`d put it in on road use (evenif we were advertizing a show) Side sceens would be under the back seat hood folded round hoop set "Micky Mouse" doors under passenger seat. Crank handle fastened to bottom of back seat so when you folded seat. The side screenbage was held to the bottom. Plenty of room to hang your gear from the Hoops set There are two cubords very deap in the rear wheel arches the right had a false lifting bottom ( where we hid cameras and valubles) next to the tailer socket. On top went all the spares Light bulbs (Blackout) and set 4 plugs 2 fan belts. If you had them 4 snow chains went across the floor under the back seat (sometimes cased) The left cubord was Food. The dash cubord had the brass plates with all the main bits that was your maps and personal items a pistol Colt 45. no cubord locked on original jeeps.  

• @Geoff Maybury 

Great details.  So cool to have a piece of history and learn all its ins and outs.  

The Jeep owner was a great guy.  Let my daughter get behind the wheel :)

• @JTam @JTam Earlly days still for you"Brother" one day I hope you to could have your dream vehicle  I started young some of the group did not but till in their mid 50/60`s Time is on your side and the country to buy and use them. Good Night my friend, I`ll take a sip and think of you. Cheers a Cyber drink from me. 

• @Geoff Maybury 

Cheers Brother!

• Arizona Military Museum, Phoenix, AZ.

Vietnam section:

• US Army Infantryman in Vietnam:

USMC Infantryman Hue, Vietnam:

ARVN:

NVA:

VC:

Other US forces:

• Small Arms - Vietnam.

They were actually inventoring the weapons so I got to take some pictures minus the glass.

Holy Sh*t, that's a Stoner:

•  

• Arizona Military Museum, Phoenix, AZ.

Conquistador display. 

More pics here:

https://wargamesatlantic.com/community/xenforum/topic/76284/conquistador-inspiration?page=2

• 2 / 3