My Ongoing Conquistadors (and related stuff)

• @William Redford 

Did Shieldwolf put out any type of timeline for the Desert Girls try 2?

• @JTam no... they said "soon"... but other than that?... no, not yet

• @William Redford 

No trouble, usually OOP like these will stay available for about a couple of months..  since they are old sculpts nowadays players are not fond of. 

• Yesterday was yardwork... Cutting the grass, mulching, etc... My arms feel like jello and motivation is low to work on stuff today. But... i still managed to get 4 guys done. 

So... Here is one of the 3 front "advancing ranks". You kind of have to be picky with the sword selections for the front guys as not all look great on this pose. The 2 guys with the swords going back, I am not super thrilled with. Still have 10 more advancing guys and 10 more standing guys (20 total) to finish this unit... I also ordered this armored bear, which will be my general's mount... 

And because not many pictures today, here are the bits I have laid aside to finish this unit and a shot of teh stack of conquistador sprues... 

• You're blazing a trail here I may end up going myself, so thanks for documenting it. The base sizes are concerning, especially as a good portion of my conquistadors will be skirmishers (DoW duelists as chaff and screeners in my dark elf army) and I can't guarantee a certain formation that can be carefully ranked up ahead of time. Getting the split between spanish mercs and german imperials to work is tempting though, as are premade halberds to be stuck onto the Perry "mercenary" box instead of those stupid pike-to-halberd converters.

• @William Redford 

Still BIG progress!

Is there only 4 one handed sword arms on the sprue?  That is fairly limiting.  

• do you happen to need more conquistadors?

• @Lord Marcus will probably need 2 more boxes, but not anytime soon. But when I do, it will likely be from you. 

• Its wednesday... decided to play with some GW greatsword bits on a conquistador body. Not a bad fit, though I dont really like the head... may replace it. 

• If chins could kill. Do the original GW parts have one puffy and one armored arm?

• @Blutze Yeah... I think that head was from the empire militia set. But I am likely gonna change it out... As far as the arms... looking at my Empire Greatswords, they have matching arms, so I think the arms had matched pairs... but when you are shopping for kit from the bits box, you have to manage your expectations... :) So Captain Diego De la Chin is no exception..., :)

• Well, Diego De la Chin is dead... murdered in his sleep by his Aztec translator girl... 

I replaced his head with a standard WA morion head... and made a second one... I tried to find a more matching left arm, but it still not an exact match... I have 36 more flamberge arms, but only like 11 left arms... but may do a small unit of these guys in the future. Anyway, here are some pics...and a pic next to a GW great sword... 

• @William Redford 

Ref:

Well this just took a dark turn.....

‐------

The conversion looks better with the WGA head.  All your Greatswords looking good!

• @JTam Dont mourn Diego... he lived a full life and should have known messing with that girl was trouble...

• @William Redford 

LOL.

• Another Sunday. My Bear hasnt arrived yet. But My Biddicca chariot did... I kind of wanted to do something else other than conquistadors this weekend, so what I did is related but different enough to not feel like the same old grind. 

First is Boddicca. I only really added a ECW morion and some weapon swaps. She is ok from a distance, but didnt turn out great. But... I really like the older gentleman that came with her on the chariot sprue.. He has a real Charleton Heston/ Moses kind of vibe to him. So with some Frostgrave wizard arms and a book, he is a fire and brimstone, repent sinners!, convert the heathen priest for my conquistadors...

I thought he needed a body guard and visualized something like the faith Militant from Game of Thrones... I saw @Araden Kwyll posted on the legion facebook page some cool conversions he did with conquistador parts and Darkage Irish. So I made up a small bodyguard of 4 guys. I used the greatsword bit and on 3 of them a Conquistador left arm... One just kept the DA integral left arm... also chose one of the heads I hadnt used yet... looked the part for low cost equipment... I especially like that they are barefooted... adds to fanatical religious look. 

Finally I made a female duelist from Frotgrave female soldier body, conquistaor arms, and a shieldmaiden head... she has a faithful wolfhound companion... Anyway, thats it for this week. 

• My Etsy bear arrived today. I was going to make this as my general, but I think I will have a 3 man unit of these. So this will be one of the troopers. I will order 2 more bears and have a standard and my General leading them. It is not glued to the 50mm base, as I think I am going to put them on 60mm rouds, which I just oredered from Ebay.

The Rider is Fireforge games. The hammer is GW as is the head. The Bear shield is a resin bit from Fireforge games. 

I added a Freefolk bear rider for comparison, as well as a WA conquistador. 

• In what system are you even gonna play these? Shouldn't that dictate the base size?

• @Blutze yes and no. I will use him in my Pathfinder game. 50mm is "large" or 4 squares on a grid. 60mm would be on the larger size of large and would not be out of place on those 4 sqaures (with just a bit of overlap, but not enough to look out of place). Age of Sigmar has suggested bases but nothing set in stone... or at least nothing that my friends or LGS enforces unless its completely out of place or meant to game the system. My vision for the bears is "not demi-gryph knights". And my actual Demi-Gryphs, as well as my Khorne Bloodcrushers, and Darke Elf Cold one knights, are also on 60mm rounds. I think they just look better and also make using them in RPGs easier. Now my Slaanesh devil ant eater riders are on the oval cavalry bases... but mostly because I didnt have any rounds on hand at the time and wasnt patient enough to wait to order some... But overall my only real criteria for bases is "no square bases, ever", as I just dont like the look of square bases.

• Once again, another weekend and a little more progress. Still havent finished my swordsmen unit... I am not sure why I keep putting them off... 

This weekend I completed a unit of handgunners. I had some Warlord ECW guys (been sitting for about 3 years in my basement) so figured with a head swap they would fit in here... I actually have a bout 60 more of these guys so may do something else in the future with them. 

This unit is 20 strong, arranged in 2 ranks of 10. Front rank has 10 soldiers in firing profile. Back rank has 7 "at shoulder" guys and a command of Drummer, Champion and Standard. I chose the woolen cap head as these guys are under a novice captain... the guy with the fluffy hat looks young to me, so in my backstory (not written down) he is a young lord who mustered a unit so that he could be included in this expedition. The 3 guys with Morions are the actual leaders of the unit. The guy with the arquebus and morion being the real unit leader. 

Anyway, here are some pics. 

• Oh, the second to last pic shows them next to a stock WA arquebusier. The heads on these guys are WA as is the sword on the "champion", but everything else is Warlord ECW. 

I am thinking of buying a set of the Warlord WSS artillery, to make some cannons for this army. 

• I've seen the argument that "rounds look better" before, and I don't think I agree.

For using the same mini on different sizes though, I have a big creature coming up that goes on a 50mm square for warhammer and a 3x3 grid in D&D (meaning, a 60mm or 75mm square). And the thing falls over on 50mm. What I'm gonna do is stick it on a .5mm plastic sheet in the correct size for D&D, mark out a 50mm square with counterweight stones, and tell my warhammer opponents to move all the way up to the rocks (that is, drive on top of the plastic sheet).

I am thinking of buying a set of the Warlord WSS artillery, to make some cannons for this army. 

You mean the one that was priced at 4.19€ per sprue, on sale by 50%, and sold out before I realized? And is now at 9€, exactly a third of the three-sprue box?

• @Blutze Yeah. That one. :) I did end uo buying on ebay for $33... $11/cannon I guess is not that bad... But I think the set went for $20 when originally released by WGF

• Well, I ordered the box of WSS artillery, 3x 100mm bases, and a sprue of horses, lizardmen and goblins.. and all are out for delivery. The Lizardmen, I am going to see if i can combine with the aztecs... The Goblins, I really only wanted to see if I can use the riding legs to convert a halfling general on Griffin. And the horses, I am really just curious on how they turned out.

• @JTam specifically replying to this image:

Gods but I miss that shield. I had a whole unit of lion shield swordsmen painted in altdorf colors at one point. I wish I could find a copy cat somewhere.

• My Cannons and the horse sprue I ordered arrived today. So put together a cannon, and crew. 

I converted a cavalry guy using the WA horse, the legs from the cavalry officer that came with the cannon and a WA Conq torso. I think it turned out ok, but I will probably wait for the official Conquisstador cavalry. 

• @William Redford Have "fun" with that artillery kit. The most poorly fitting field carriages I ever attempted to glue.

Fiddly as they are, they are the cheapest artillery on the market, so its a time vs money scale for using them.

• @William Redford can I get a picture of your mounted gent from the front, with flash. that one is just a tad dark.

• @Lord Marcus Yeah... I was ready to chuck the set assembling today. I left off some stuff as it was just too tiny, and I broke one of the wheel pins.. but yeah, they were cheap enough that I am still satisfied. Also thanks again for the quick service on the sprues I ordered. Will definitely order again. 

• The cannon looked a little small on 100mm so rebased It on a 75mm. Think it looks better. 

• @Lord Marcus  @William Redford can I get a picture of your mounted gent from the front, with flash. that one is just a tad dark.

Yeah... I dont know how to do quotes in this forum... anyway, here are some pics. Are you going to offer rider leg bits on your site?

• Fiddly as they are, they are the cheapest artillery on the market

There's a cannon without any crew in Black Scorpion's pirate line that sells for 5.5€. Missing all the crew and terrain bits though, as well as the mounted officer. But if you are willing and able to build crew from scratch, and can accept a naval cannon...

I dont know how to do quotes in this forum...

They don't link to the original post (bad) and they don't ping (good, you don't always want that), but you can at least copypaste some text and format it as quote. Button is right there in the toolbar.

I've never run a BB forum, so I can only assume that it is a major hassle compared to an external off the shell solution like this. The community is also, at least so far, small enough that I can live with rudimentary tools.

• Another weekend, so more work... I started on another unit of Arquebusiers. This will be another 20 man unit in 2 ranks of 10. 

@JTam had me looking through my bits box... and I found WGF Numidians, Amazons and sshock troopers. So, inspired by @Araden Kwyll 's facebook conversions I decided to see what mischief I could do with conquestador parts. 

The shock trooper and his 2 female acolytes are great swords. I think iit worked better on the shocktrooper, but I always found the amazons pretty awful weapon wise, so any excuse to monkey around with them... The amazons are pretty stock except their arms. The Shock troop got a morion head, great sword arms, a couple pouches from fireforge and frostgrave. And 2 daggers that might be Warlord or could be Dark age Irish. I dont remember where they came from.

The Numidians, I actually like alot. They got pikes, Warlord landsknect sheathed swords and fireforge pouches. I chose this head for them as I have a bunch. 

I am actualy debating getting another 5 box conquistador deal just for the wealth of bits that can be used... 

• @William Redford

At last I managed to pay a visit to the forum.
    I thought my army was big, but your units are great!

I see we've been following a similar path, with conversions.
    I tested how Conqueror bits worked with female soldiers from Frostgrave, too!
    Gave her a beardless helmet head from Perry, though, because I wanted to mix her with the other guys without drawing too much attention to the fact she's a woman.

I'm also throwing in the mix some old and very old GW imperials; I'm testing those guys with the lion shields - and even left one with the shield on.
    Maybe I'll throw a couple in the bunch, for variety.

Since I'm building with the idea of a fantasy mercenary army, I don't mind testing Conqueror bits with other bodies.
    If I really wanted, I could later divide them into smaller units, by body - and thus by provenance.
    Really digging your conversion ideas.

Great work, in particular, with splicing the female peasant torso with the Conqueror legs!

^_^

• Today is my friend's birthday bbq... but I still managed to get some work done. Finally finished my swordsmen. These guys are my elites. All in the heavier armor. Their training was extensive (my justification for taking so long to finish assembling.) They are in the standard 6 ranks of 5 guys for a unit of 30. They have a champion, a musician, and a standard bearer. 

• As a reward to myself for finally finishing my swordman, I played around with some stuff just for fun. 

I built the last 2 horses from the WA sprue I bought form @Lord Marcus  

* The female uses an old WGF persian rider leg and a Frostgrave torso and head. She got some WA weapon and shield arm bits. 

* The male uses tha same persian rider leg bit (my last one) and a GW Greatsword torso. His arms are from Oathmark Human soldiers and his head is WA. He also has a loose greatsword. 

I made a Ghost archipelago crewman with arquebus and a frostgrave barbarian with a conq helmet.

Also the child piper is from some greek set... I forgot... might have been spartans? But I replaced his head with a beardless WA head (as it is round and could be a young teen) and added some bits and bobs.

Anyway, most likely not using any of this is my Conq army, but they were fun to play with and build. 

• It's a Tuesday. I'm off from work as my family and I went to Bar Harbor, Maine for the holiday. It was lovely, I recommend it if any of you aren't terribly far (it was a 10 hour drive here from maryland).

anyway, had some time to finish my 2nd arquebusiers. The champion is from Dark Maenad's Kickstarter, the knight commander. The unit has a champion, standard and musician. The guns are actually from Warlord's ECW. 

bonus pictures from Bar Harbor. Oh and Kenobi was pretty great, and Stranger things 4, was... alright...

• @JTam 

Intriguing but conceivable.. just look at the world of Armaggedon and her equatorial jungle.. surrounded with industrial wastelands.

Just need to recover old Jungle Fever articles from White Dwarf.. and to start lurking around for cheap plastic flowers from Dollarstore and amazon.ca

• Looks like the ogres will be before the cavalry.

• Did you build any swordsmen with empty left hands (DoW duelists without any additional wargear, or variety for some free company) from the conquistador bodies? It looks like they are all leading with the left foot and left shoulder, as appropriate for a pikeman or shieldbearer, and the raised sword arms seem to put the sword in front of his face instead of about to come down for a good cut. I'd like to build a pose more along the lines of a hotblooded fencer defending his honor in the streets of Tilea or Estalia - well more than just one pose, thinking more like up to 20 dudes.

• @Blutze No, The resting pike or greatsword right arms have a shared empty hand left that could be used. 

I did make a duelist with a dagger left arm (frostgrave). 

• Hmm. Guess it makes sense for such a large unit to have them all with shields, pikes or shouldered ranged weapons, especially in a nominally historical kit. What I'm looking for is one of the faux-historical aspects of Warhammer, kinda like post-medieval knights with shields, so its gonna be a bit difficult to find. Well, that plus the fact that they were kind of intended to be given *some* additional gear (and the official minis all had parrying daggers), but as a dark elf I see their potential in being the cheapest points:bodies ratio available to me and the cheapest unit I can place.

• Late to comment, but nice to see the old WGF Numidians getting some love. Very handy torsos those.

Never much liked the Amazons, though. I've struggled to find much use at all for that box.

• 2 / 2