Man can't live on bricks and mortar alone, desperately need conversation.

• @Steven StGeorges my friend, in Portugal we pay for beer. However, we do offer free wine , some of the best. Red, of course, on every occasion. Green wine (vinho verde) chilled with sea food.

White wine, it is just for cooking.

Rosé wine is something we produce for foreigners. We don't actually drink it. Or understand why you drink it. 

So gaming afternoons here are red wine and barbecue if the weather is good, red wine and grilled meats or homemade pizzas and pastas if it is raining.

This past August, gaming day, six guys, wives and children by the pool, 5 kilos of pork ribs with pimentão, salad, 7 bottles of red and 4 straight loses for my Oathmark army.

You all are more than welcome, any time you pass here. And I say this in all honesty. 

• @Vitor Soares 

Wine is cruelly overpriced over here... I mean good and edible wine not cheap stuff from Oz, South America or even Europe -Italy, Spain, Portugal and France. Same for most of my favourite delicacies -Foie Gras, Saucisson- by the way.

Imagine my life as a:

1) a Frenchman

2) from Bordeaux

..Unable to relish on a good -and not really expensive- Black wine of Cahors for example or any other bottle from St Émilion. Fact is most of my fellow Canadian friends do enjoy their good old 12 packs of blonde ale over a single glass of Bordeaux. I can understand them .. so I am the sole player to drink wine while all the rest is emptying canadian beer.. so my nickname of Sir d'Outermer cause of my bad european habits and my 3rd editon Bretonnian Ost -and no I do not play an Ultramarine army... 

I did taste Green portugese wine but since I am more used to White -even if I cannot eat fish or sea stuff- that, like Rosé, could be served as some appetizer drink (.. but some people do enjoy it, over White, while eating fish and sea stuff) .. but I am mostly loyal to Red wine.

When I moved here, I've been introduced to District's bbq party, instead of my grilled food on wine shoots. But I am a fast learner and became famous for my Jack Daniel's steaks and tomahawks when hosting games. But unlike you, wifes and some of the kids are playing also. Only (very) late games are every single time getting lost in the foggy lands of after drinks.. with its procession of blurred pictures. 

Thanks for the offer my good Vitor. But Wife want to visit all of Portugal mainland before thinking about the islands and Madeira should be her first choice over the Azores.

• @Steven StGeorges I understand your pain, I have lived in Britain and Croatia (as well as Spain, but they have good wine), so I know how the suffering of not getting whatnyou are used to. We were talking of the wine, now imagine being portuguese and having to explain to people that their bread is not really good, or sometimes even bread. 😂

I have been to Madeira many times, for the Portuguese it is too touristy, not really fun or interesting, but if haven't been there, you should definitely go. If you want recommendations for the mainland, especially in the south, feel free to ask.

In Canada, I only know the waiting room in the airport at Montreal, but I jave been to Baltimore, Princeton and Miami on work, and I liked the people, not really the food. 

• @Vitor Soares 

Bread .. that is another point. Even so-called French bakeries over here are serving a barely edible French stick: too salty, way too much overcooked or not cooked enough.. and I am not talking about sliced bread and Pullman loaf. 

Wife is more into you know... tropical island. And she like Madeira thanks to youtube travel videos... at least Madeira is less expensive a trip than Bora Bora or any other island from French Polynesia.

South of Portugal is almost done -excepted some places like Evora. We still have everything left from Lisbon to Porto -with part of Galicia like Santiago de Compostella. 

At last you survived the food... 😁.. Next time head to Maryland to meet with our Master Converter William Redford and enjoy tons of sea food. 

• @Steven StGeorges I can't believe you went to the south and not to Évora, my hometown, one of the most historical cities in Portugal, and one with 5 different wine regions around it, some of the best restaurants in the world. 😉

I would love to go to Maryland, but only to visit, I live in the Azores, I have all the seafood I can eat, and mostly free (at least for me). Google lapas no forno. 😃

You should go to Madeira, don't get me wrong. Yoy have a tropical island vibe, but in Europe, and some of the best alcoholic drinks in the world (poncha). But for the Portuguese, it is not really that attractive. We have beaches everywhere, and great weather in half the country, so Madeira is not that appealing for us. But I have been there, and you should go, really. 

• @Vitor Soares 

Fair and simple reply: too many stuff to do in Lisbon to even think exploring the surroundings my friend. We did spend hours visiting museums and palaces.. one week was not enough at all. Another time my friend be sure about it 😀

Madeira is a fine place as far as I do remember... as long as wife is forgetting about Cape Verde. 

• @Steven StGeorges Cape Verde is really nice... Just really, really expensive.

In Madeira you should check out the Levadas Trails. But only with a guide, they can be dangerous on your own. 

• @Vitor Soares Maryland has some really nice places... but we also have some real cess pits too. Baltimore keeps increasing the number of murders each year... and that's pronounced Ballmore... here in "Murlan". I live in Harford County, which is more rural...  but my wife works in the city. I work from home so dont leave my house often. Baltimore is called "Charm City" but the Charm is long gone. Well you can still find some good stuff but I wouldnt try to find it after dark.

As far as wine goes... I live fairly close to Boordy boordy wine website

But I am not much of a wine drinker. 

If you do come to Maryland, the Inner Harbor is a must see. You can see the Constellation. Visit Edgar Allen Poe's grave. Visit Fort McHenry (where the Star Spangled Banner song was written), or see Historic Havre De Grace (which was once a possible site for the US Capital. And speaking of Capital, we are about an hour away from Washington DC... which has the monuments and goverment buildings as well as the Smithsonian Museum (which is actually like 11 museums). The Aerospace and the Natural History are of course my favorite. 

• Here is a pic of the Inner Harbor

• @William Redford if you read one of my previous posts, one of the few places were I went in the US was, in fact, Baltimore. I went on work, but of course visited Edgar Allen Poe's grave, unfortunately didn't have time to visit anything else. I was on UB time, and they kept me pretty busy. But I liked it. It is a very different idea of what a city is from the European concept, but with some European feeling. 

• @Steven StGeorges Oh yes I`m analog and centigrade and Imperial, I hated metric and never saw the point.  All my best games were feet and inches, why would I change.

• @William Redford You have it all bill food, wine senery and modeling you Sir are living the Dream  followed in hot pursiut by Victor and Stephen or Stephen or Victor . Eileen and myself want food parcels guys this is overload on a poor english palet.😢

• @Geoff Maybury I guess it's always a "grass is greener" thing. Other than crabs nothing really stands out food wise. But I guess that's all relative. We are like 1.5 hours from Philly, thst has a ton of good food. Including a small section of town known as "little Indonesia ". There is like 3 small bodegas and maybe 4 restaurants. We usually go every 6 months or so... 

• @Geoff Maybury I would gladly send them but, in my recent experience, sending anything to Albion is nigh impossible.

I tried to send some wine to my compadre and a book to my god daughter, for her birthday. Three freaking months.

And I sent it through fast delivery.

It actually kills me, I don't want to go into politics here, but it kills me.

Visit and I will gladly take you and your wife to eat some of the best fish and seafood in the world. 

• @Geoff Maybury 

Metric over Imperial, good old question still alive and kicking over here -with the addition of the former French Royal System close fo UK Imperial. I was born in a country where Metric is ruling supreme and still had problems trying to convert stuff from Imperial to Metric and Metric to Imperial... all my tools are both in Metric and Imperial 😅

• 2 / 2