Cannon Fodder

• Converting Cannon Fodder to Space Marines from Aliens 

• Looks like the pic didn't attach 

• For a really close match, the Cannon Fodder lack combat armor, but I don't mind - I think they make fine Space Marines as-is!

It's pricey, but it looks to me like the Warhammer 40K "Valkyrie" makes a fair dropship analogue. 

I just wish there were some better APC options out there!  (The APC from the original Iron-Core line seems like a great match, but it's currently out of print, with no public annoucement that I know of of any plans for Wargames Atlantic to reprint it.  One could hope, though!)

I think a modern Boxer IFV scale model would make a great Sci-fi APC, if only I could find one in a close enough scale!

Some sentry guns and the like would be nice as well - perhaps some of the items from Grognard Command and Accessory set might be improvised into something appropriate?  (Archon Studio's "Dungeons and Lasers" scatter terrain sets do include some close-enough setnrygun models, at least, in addition to a few other great sci-fi bits such as some robots that look a bit like some great little not-Daleks.)

Reaper has some great plastic alien models (Reaper Bones Kulathi and Bathalians) which would make nice, inexpensive "not-xenomorphs", while Wargames Atlantic's giant spiders make fine not-StarshipTroopersBugs! (or not-Zergs?)

Sounds like a fun project - hopefully you'll post pictures :)

• @Yronimos Whateley Dunno how "futuristic-y" you want to go, or how you feel about MDF, but there are some really groovy MDF APCs (and vehicles in general) out there that look really good.

Just one example:

https://www.zenterrain.com/en_US/c/Military/79

• You know, I've never actually considered MDF as an option before.  I don't think I've ever handled MDF before (unless it's called something else in the 'States), but those models look pretty good to me, and seem pretty affordable if I'm estimating the pounds-to-dollar rate fairly. 

That's a great idea, I'm going to try checking one of those out and see how well it works for me! 

That Badger and Harpy look like as good a match for what I've had in mind as anything I've seen in plastic, and I'm pretty sure the prices are a lot better than what GW is offering for their equivalents!

• @Yronimos Whateley There are a few companies out there who have really figured MDF out.  As far as the material's name, I'm in America, and that's all I e ever seen it as.  It's not *as* widely used as resin/plastic, but it usually beats the other materials in the price category.  Just be ready to build!

https://miniaturescenery.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2

Back to the OP, though...using them as Colonial Marines is a great idea, especially as buck-privates.  The Cannon Fodder sets are some of the most insanely versatile sets I've ever seen!

• I think the jumpsuits also make for great uniforms for Colonial Marine pilots and drivers, maintenance and support personnel, and colonist militia and so on.  Definitely a versatile set - the sci-fi uses alone seem pretty open-ended!

I've probably handled MDF before, without realizing it, but all I know about it is that it's a wood product, which always conjured up images of plywood and particle board for me, which I could never quite subconsciously reconcile with miniaturecraft, so I always glanced over references to it and never gave it a second thought before.