Mermaids

Plastic 28mm Mermaids?

• GW just came out with this watery ghoul character:

I don't follow AOS very closely (vowed never to play/buy anything AOS after GW killed the Old World) but this guy looks pretty sweet.

• (vowed never to play/but anything AOS) after GW killed the Old World)

Similar approach here, though not quite as strong. I'm very unlikely to play it, certainly not as a wargame, and I wouldn't buy ANY manufacturer's minis for those prices. But second hand, at reasonable prices, as hodgepodgey standins for D&D, they do have their place.

Like, this guy makes a beautiful charon-like NPC ferrying souls across the styx, with those swimmers offering their obuli and all that. But is he worth the 40+ monies GW is gonna ask, when you can just get any ghost, stick him in a random boat and scrapbuild a paddle? Yeah, no. Probably not.

• @Blutze Hmmm, or it could also be that crabman just gets spawned out the dungeon core like that😉. Don't really see how that fellow could tie that cloth on otherwise (well unless its a werecrab) let alone using  range and reach weapons or music instruments "above animal level" or no, you don't need foci for spellcasting, and why would he bother with shields since he is already a walking tank with 2 claws that can double as shields and weapons🤣. 

Maybe if we where talking something like the Skwoids GG seem to want at the moment that has something that acts like "hands", then I could see gear being thing, but this guy seems pretty battle ready as is and maybe even a little over dressed. Do understand the not wanting look alikes thing though, perhaps diffrent types of claws🤔.

• Alternate take:

• @JTam I take your mermaids and raise some deep ones 😉:

• We're doing ugly, eh? How about the original aquatic accolyte, the Sea Monk?

• @Red Bee 

Well that lead into an interesting wiki safari.

Particularly found the Jenny Haniver interesting.

• @Blutze  

That guy is on preorder this weekend.  Ouch.  The answer is $50.00.

• Just had a look at the sprue. Actually looks a good bit more kitbashable than the "easy to build" large-sized generic paladins I'm sticking together right now... they don't even allow you to swap out some nearly-identical heads, and one of them has his sabatons moulded into the base instead of his leg piece. Like, holey intercourse, who does that?

Still though, not for that kinda price. Three half-sprues is what, around 10 monies when you look at normal priced boxes?

• @JTam Everywhere I go, I keep seeing his face

• Found this mini the other day:

I wonder if one could create a kit that could build mermaids and gorgons via different heads (or hair)  and tail tips (tail fins versus rattle)?

• More minis that make me think a Mermaid/Gorgon kit would be possible.

• Bits to swap out the tail tip would be easy. My Dungeons & Lasers dragon had a separate piece for the last ~4 cm of the tail, even though it is totally monopose. Poses that make sense for both swimming and snaking are gonna be a little more difficult I think, as are hairstyles that are more draped over the shoulders - the Victrix Bouadicca and her old buddy for instance have head, hair, cloak and body in a single piece because there is no clear line between those. And as headswaps are a core part of your idea, I think you'll have to accept less-nice hair bits that kinda stick off the back.

And now lets throw this for a complete loop: Mariliths. Snake tails, hair, three pairs of arms. Maybe take a page from Reaper's book with the armpit-mounted extra arms, and add plugs for those who want to build the other variants?

• @Blutze 

I don't see the hair as a problem at all.  Mermaids have floating hair that is off the shoulders.  Gorgons have non-napping snake hair.  

Likewise with the poses....  All of the above poses are swimming mermaids, but would work fine for a snake bodied Gorgon.

• @William Redford @Grumpy Gnome 

Finally saw "Cold Skin."  Interesting.  Well done.  High production values.  I enjoyed it enough.  Certainly didn't feel like I wasted my time.  Just won't be rushing to see it again.  

While strange enough to be a French film... I'm pretty sure it was filmed in the English language.  Gunter is Titus Pullo, and I'm reasonably certain his French isn't up to filming a movie.  

In a semi interesting degree of coincidence (I just don't watch that many movies these days) two of the actors in "Cold Skin" were in movies I recently saw.  

The female creature is in "Dead Valley":

https://wargamesatlantic.com/community/xenforum/topic/71330/spanish-civil-war

And Tutis Pullo was in "GI Joe: Retaliation":

https://wargamesatlantic.com/community/xenforum/topic/66516/dvelopment-blog-setting-for-those-80s-real-american-hero-action-men?page=2

• I don't see the hair as a problem at all.  Mermaids have floating hair that is off the shoulders.  Gorgons have non-napping snake hair.

Oh, you're thinking underwater. I must have been thinking above water, lounging on the reef at low tide or something. In the end both are relevant, but maybe you're right to focus on the creature's natural habitat when it is really more a gaming token than a component for a larger diorama. Eventually they'll be used in both scenarios, at least in most games.

Likewise with the poses....  All of the above poses are swimming mermaids, but would work fine for a snake bodied Gorgon.

Hmm. For a medusa, I'd actually expect a much longer snake body than the Disney Ariel fish bits. Really, I'm kinda pre-programmed by the Reaper mariliths (partly because I actually have the PVC one), and maybe also the Dota 2 Dusa.

And while it turns out that both of those have shorter tails than I remember, longer than Ariel they still are.

• 2 / 2