Monks

• Hello,

as with my last post, I didn't know that I really needed a few monks. But something about the characters drew me in and I couldn't resist printing and painting some of them. 

The Masterchief Oberboss Monk will be my entry for the painting competition. there's just something I don't like about it. I think the folds on the white robe are just too dark. Maybe I'll paint these over again. In addition, the contrast from the photograph is not yet good. I think I'll have to look for a darker background here so that the pictures are better and sharper. What do you think? Any other suggestions for improvement?

Best regards,

Andreas

PS: mhh, the barrel guy looks like a Zombie in the pictures, I think he will also get a facelift with colour.. 😁

• They look amazing! The shadows in the white cloth are coinflip for me. They look still great.  

• First rate work!  Great to see this printed and painted.  Thank You. 

• Lovely work!

• Beautiful paint job, don't worry for a zombie-like monk, surely there weren't so many pretty faces in Middle Ages!

About the white, it depends from the state of the cloth, logically in that ages there weren't any modern soaps, f.e. I normally use dark yellow/sand as base for ancients' whites so also some napoleonics' era jackets or pants would be more yellowish.

• @Andreas Penzkofer These were worth the wait to see, your paint finish is perfect, they look quite realistic. I think you should be proud of your work on them.

• Amazing work!

For the white cloth, I think the issue is the folds have too much contrast and are sort of pooled in the middle. White is tricky... try doing it purely with layering and drybrushing - don't use a wash.

@Alessio De Carolis soap is a medieval invention. Cleaning the cloth was not the issue, but more about who was bleaching their linen. Techniques usually involved lye and sunlight; an abbot with white cloth is fine. It could also be white wool. 

• @Mark Dewis Well, the soap was known at least from Gauls' conquest, I knew it, naturally I was speaking about modern soaps, and naturally nobles and high clergy would've had better cloths. White is very difficult colour to achieve, and you're right, only layering and drybrushing works with it, luckily there are these new contrast ranges, either from GW and Vallejio.

• @Alessio De Carolis sorry, I should have said "hard toilet soaps are a medieval invention (Arabs, 13thc)". The shift to using olive oil instead of fat as the basis of soaps seperates pre-medieval soaps from those and later as well.

Industrial soap production and liquid soap are modern things.

Possibly you're confusing soaps with detergents?

In any case, I'd dispute that white was very difficult to achieve - the process of bleaching linen is tedious and takes time, but it's not exactly hard or expensive. A lot of it simply involves leaving the thread or cloth out in bright sunlight. 

• Hello,

and thank you for the kind words about my figures. I finally managed to paint the last improvements and take new photos. Since I had absolutely no idea about photography, it was a real challenge to create well-lit and sharp images.

Now I don't like to see any more monks and I'm looking forward to painting some other figures! 😄

Best regards,

Andreas

• Those second round photos are great! The one you've submitted for the contest is really good!

• Came for the great-looking monk minis (great job!), stayed for the history lesson on the origins of soap! 😆

That's why I love this forum!