The Trojan War / Iliad / Odyssey

The Iliad's Greatest Hero?

• @JTam Snap one of my favorite rules buying Viterex sprues from sprue shop to convert.

• @JTam Those Sea Peoples are exceptional, but they sure could use some Sherden allies... (wink wink, nudge nudge WGA ;)

• @H M 

Lucid Eye really hit it out of the park with the Sea People.

• @Geoff Maybury 

Which one is one of your favorite rules?

• Yes, the Historicans moves away from the Fall of the Roman Empire more to a transition period.

The true Dark Age of Human History is the Bronze Age Colapse - we actual know NOTHING about which knowledge was lost...

• @Steffen Seitter 

What was lost?

Mastery of small machinery and computers similar to this:

That allowed them to create self aware automated helpers like this:

Unfortunately these machines rose up causing the collapse of civilization.

This was known in the Ancient World as:

Follow me for other archeological breakthroughs.

• @JTam Bronze Age Terminator... that would be a fun game idea in itself. 

You thought it was difficult enough to beat him in 1984 with motorised vehicles, firearms and automated factory equipment... try fighting him in the Bronze Age where you have none of those 😉

Regarding gaming the Trojan War, it's an interesting dilemma you have there. Given the first edition of WAB was written probably around the same time as 4th Edition Fantasy, I would probably suggest just porting the features of 4th Edition Fantasy you like, such as unit champions, e.t.c over to WAB and go from there. If you're not fond of the way the rules work specifically for Amazons, there's nothing to stop you writing your own Amazon list for WAB where the Leadership for their units is higher, for example, so long as you increase their points accordingly to make sure they don't become too strong.

• @Caratacus 

They just don't have anything that could hurt a Terminator.  Pit traps?  Siege Engines?  Good Luck.

Now a Bronze Age Greeks versus Predator or Aliens movie would be really something.  

All good suggestions for the rules.  

I don't like the leadership for the base Greek spearman in WAB for that matter.  Leadership 5?  That's rabble.  And even if they started as rabble they aren't 5 or 10 years later.  Besides does it fit this description?

Easy enough as you said to make a custom list by taking entries from other lists that you think fit better.  I already did that for the Amazon horse archers.  

But I'm starting to lean towards the WFB 4th Edition route.  Start with an Empire list and work from there.  You can really tailor the heros by adding appropriate (already pointed) magic items to reflect their abilities as described in the Iiad.  

Anyway, a fun but not pressing problem.  

• Managed to lay hands on issue 9 MAY 1988 of Wargames Illustrated.  A very enjoyable blast from the past.

Ian Russell Lowell's excellent article " The Trojan War 1250 BC (Campaign of the Chariot Era) follows:

This is a 24 year old article that can still illuminate and bring enjoyment and inspiration to the hobbyist. 

A big Thanks to Mr. Lowell. 

I only wish there was some photos from the massive game. 

Wargames Illustrated is an amazing magazine with a great mix of hobby and gaming.  Always recommended.

• @JTam my favorite magazine too. That article is just amazing. Thank you for sharing. Really. 

• @JTam A Predator in late Bronze Age? Well, if a young Comanche girl from early 18th century could defeat one of them (effectively a more primitive one), why some seasoned warrior couldn't defeat it? Imagine finding a Predator's skull in some old Mycenean tomb (the action flick could start in this way).😁

• @Vitor Soares 

You are sincerely welcome.  Glad you enjoyed it.

• @Alessio De Carolis 

Me and my popcorn are ready.

• Imagine a show, without a fixed protagonist, with various stories about the reasons Predators started and keep coming on earth trough the ages, someone won, others...lost.We are reputed by them as worthy opponents, defeating humans ( or die trying) it's a sort of trial by blood.

• @Alessio De Carolis that is very good idea for a show. Or a campaign 😊

• @Alessio De Carolis 

I'd like to see a bronze clad phalanx against a few Aliens.  I think they might do OK in open field combat.  The REAL challenge will be when the Aliens disperse.

• Will be picking this up when it is available:

On pre-order now at Pen and Sword.

While Googling about the author and his work I found this article he authored:

https://theshieldofachilles.net/2017/06/06/guest-post-analyzing-military-tactics-in-the-iliad-by-manousos-kambouris-for-koryvantes/

An excellent read.  Some excerpts:

The article is hosted / on the "The Shield of Achilles" site.  

https://theshieldofachilles.net/

Just a treasure trove if you are interested in the Trojan War.

• Those "four horse teams" sounds like Chariots in Hethite fashion / influence.

Those Arzawa states were mostly long hethite Vassals, very possible that they adapted hethite warfare over time.

• @Steffen Seitter The Hittites were a real "super power" btw the 15th and 13th century B.C., it's very probable that Troy, if not an outright vassal of them, was an ally, so their weapons and tacticts surely would've been very similar. Some historicians hypothesized that the Hittites couldn't help Troy against the greeks for a micidial smallpox epidemy that devasted the reign, more or less in the time of the war.

• It took a bit of work but I managed to lay hands on issue 149 and 150 of Wargames Illustrated that had an amazing two part article entitled "Days of Sorrow, Days of Death - Recreating The Illiad using Warhammer Ancient Battles" by Doug Powell and Nigel Higgens.  It's an amazing article representing what had to have been a tremendous amount of work.

More to follow....

• Wargames Illustrated Number 149:

•  

• At the times when the "Trojan War" happened it is possible that the Hethite Empire was already in its Decline Phase and had no longer the capacities to help its Vassals or Allies, maybe also treated by Rebellions of other Arzawa States or another invation of the Kaskians from the Propontos Region.

I renew my call that the Trojans should be Part of an Arzawa State Range.

• Found online:

• @Alessio De Carolis @Vitor Soares 

• @JTam It could be a great Anime/Movie (or both!)

• @JTam I am sorry for my late reply, but I am rarely on the forum nowadays, have been made to feel... well... unwelcome.

But that is unrelated to the subject, a great ideia for a game or a movie really, and a comic book I would certainly buy. 

• @Vitor Soares 

That's really unfortunate.  You're one of the best ones on here.  

• @JTam thank you for your kind words. It is what it is.

I am glad to see you are going through with your project, it has really inspired me with my own projects. I will keep up with this amazing thread. 

• 2 / 2