What would you like to see for other races beyond humans?

• @Carsten Ohlsson Ich Will

• I really like the idea of Spider people. We already have spiders with laser guns though so that might not be doable. Kinda hard to come up with something that is truly alien and isn't just "Animal on earth but sentient and anthro".

Then again Sentient spiders sounds pretty cool too.

• @Tor Dunderkuk Try slimes with guns and mechs, since slime molds are the most likely life we would encounter according to science😆.

• @Brian Van De Walker So Dralasites!

Actually plastics for the old Star Frontiers races (Yazirian, Dralasite, Vrusk, Sathar) would be great. Pretty niche though, just for olds like me (and probably impossible due to IP concerns...).

Also for those wanting Catfolk, the Damned from WGA's recent Kickstarter do seem to have some cat-folk among their Beastmen, though they look a bit rough around the edges...

• @Erstwhile Well, the one on the right could be a decent expy for a Kzinti, just add some body armour with GS, and close the holes in its dress with putty.

• How about a race of Yuan-ti/Sslyth (Snakes with 1 or 2 pairs of arms, lots of weapons and big, bad teeth ... oh wait, the teeth guy is someone else ...) in space?

• @Erstwhile (looks up Dralasites) Actually I was thinking more like this little fellow with guns and maybe little "gundam fairy wing" style jets sticking out of his body as is, since that would be how an intelligent civilized SciFi slime critter would hold its tech realistically I would think (not really sure why so many people assume it needs to have hands and human shape, its like some sort of blindspot you humans have😆):

Not really all that much of an IP issue once you ditch the freindly eyelines.

Maybe with the more elite ones riding around in some sort of walking alien turret mecha thats around  human to ogre sized.

• I really like the not-Kzin idea, and the "Damned" cat-mutants are close enough for me, though I'd love to see a dedicated cat-alien set with space armor and energy weapons.  I also like the "War of the Worlds Martians" someone mentioned (I've suggested it before, too, but it never caught on), grey aliens, and robot dogs.

All of the WGA sets I'm most excited about at the moment are digital - I really need to throw in the towel and buy a decent 3D printer.  But, two sets I'd buy in a heartbeat in plastic are the Runner Hunters set with a subset of the Alien Heads Conversion Bits added, and the Cthulhu Cultists set with sci-fi weapons and bits added- perhaps both sets combined into a sort of eccentric Lovecraftian Gothic Diesel-Punk Noir kinda thing, I'm thinking maybe even something loosely themed off of the 90's sci-fi movie Dark City: and perhaps handwave the set as "Men in Black":

I think maybe focus on the male long-coat bodies and maybe the standing robed cultist body, aim for the spookier alien heads (I especially love the insect and Deep One heads, and the cybernetic heads look great too!) and of course the fedora and hooded heads, add acouple spooky masks too, throw in a mix of historical revolvers and automatics alongside the sci-fi blasters to give the set the sort of multi-genre flexibility that the Lizard Men enjoy, and toss in those great cult tomes and include some maybe-magic-maybe-alien-superscience artifacts and weird fantasy daggers to round out the Lovecraftian cult weirdness.

Use the "Runner Hunter" flavor text as-is, a token nod to explaining the Lovecraftian elements is entirely optional:  "These professional bounty hunters are relentless in their pursuit of Runners [runaway Death Fields players]. Hailing from species and worlds all over the civilized galaxy (and sometimes from the less civilized parts - humans are some of the best Runner Hunters!) - these Hunters know how to track their prey."

Most UFOs are just passing through, and aren't of much interest to the Runner Hunters; others are just scouting out the local talent for the Death Fields games (why else would UFOs be hanging out around technologically advanced military bases???)  But some UFOs are flown by runaway Death Fields players, and those UFOs are of special interest for the Runner Hunters, the Men in Black!

Sure, it's a bit too weird and niche for most gamers, but I could daydream!

I'd scoop up multiple boxes of them in an instant, and invent excuses to use them in any gaming genre I can think of....

• The Flatwoods Monster:

"Lemon said he aimed a flashlight in that direction and momentarily saw a tall man-like figure with a round, red face surrounded by a pointed, hood-like shape...."

Some variation on H.P. Lovecraft's radiate alien Elder things:

"Orrendorf and Watkins, working underground at 9:45 with light, found monstrous barrel-shaped fossil of wholly unknown nature; probably vegetable unless overgrown specimen of unknown marine radiata. Tissue evidently preserved by mineral salts. Tough as leather, but astonishing flexibility retained in places.  Objects are eight feet long all over, six feet end to end, 3.5 feet central diameter, tapering to 1 foot at each end, like a barrel with five bulging ridges in place of staves. Around equator, one at central apex of each of the five vertical, stave-like ridges, are five systems of light grey flexible arms or tentacles found tightly folded to torso but expansible to maximum length of over 3 feet. Like arms of primitive crinoid. Single stalks 3 inches diameter branch after 6 inches into five sub-stalks, each of which branches after 8 inches into five small, tapering tentacles or tendrils, giving each stalk a total of 25 tentacles.  In furrows between ridges are curious growths, combs or wings that fold up and spread out like fans, which give almost seven-foot wing spread, these wings seem to be membraneous, stretched on framework of glandular tubing, apparent minute orifices in frame tubing at wing tips.  Arrangement reminds one of certain monsters of primal myth, especially fabled Elder Things in Necronomicon.  At top of torso blunt bulbous neck of lighter grey with gill-like suggestions holds yellowish five-pointed starfish-shaped apparent head, thick and puffy, about 2 feet point to point, with three-inch flexible yellowish tubes projecting from each point. Slit in exact centre of top probably breathing aperture. At end of each tube is spherical expansion where yellowish membrane rolls back on handling to reveal glassy, red-irised globe, evidently an eye. Five slightly longer reddish tubes start from inner angles of starfish-shaped head and end in sac-like swellings of same colour which upon pressure open to bell-shaped orifices 2 inches maximum diameter and lined with sharp white tooth-like projections, probably mouths.  At bottom of torso rough but dissimilarly functioning counterparts of head arrangements exist, bulbous light-grey pseudo-neck, without gill suggestions, holds greenish five-pointed starfish-arrangement, tough, muscular paddles, fins, or pseudo-feet 4 feet long and tapering from 7 inches diameter at base to about 2.5 at point.  Complete specimens have such uncanny resemblance to certain creatures of primal myth that suggestion of ancient existence outside antarctic becomes inevitable. Dyer and Pabodie have read Necronomicon and seen Clark Ashton Smith’s nightmare paintings based on text, and will understand when I speak of Elder Things supposed to have created all earth-life as jest or mistake...."

I might imagine a frame of those barrel-shaped, furrowed, ridged torsos, an assortment of star-shaped heads, radiate star-shaped arrangements of "feet", and an assortment of tentacles, arms, wings, fins, sails, mouths, and sensory organs, not necessarily all matching Lovecraft's original descripiton, with some of the appendages holding bits of alien weaponry, gadgets, and other artifacts....

• The ancients from At The Mountain Of Madness could be a good inspiration for REALLY menacing aliens, no humanoid form, really different from other known beings, different mindsets, pratically an enemy without any empathy vs. humans/humanoid creatures.

• Yes!  And if we ever meet actual aliens, I have to think they'd look, think, feel, and see the world much closer to something like that (from our perspective), than they ever could to us. 

Even the most empathetic of such beings would surely have a sense of empathy that could never fully be compatible with ours, such that the best we could do to understand each other would be to make sweeping generalizations through metaphors for what we think we sense in each other.

A lot of extremely intelligent, curious, and sensitive people in my day-to-day life struggle to understand each other on an empathetic level, even when the differences between them are as simple as economics, politics, religion, or philosophy... most of us struggle with empathy even with something as similar to us as other mammals, without anthropomorphizing the animals in ways that would misinterpret important differences - with that in mind, imagine the difficulties we'd have with a completely alien empathy, compounded by an alien psychology, alien physiology, alien method of communication, alien senses, and utterly alien "faces"!

I think we'd find the experience of interacting with actual aliens uncanny and disturbing, proably to the point of terror, revulsion, and confusion.  And the aliens would probably have some sort of corresponding reaction to interacting with us:  we'd be just as alien!

And where else could two so thoroughly alien species safely work out their mutual differences in one of the most natural ways on Earth and probably everywhere (the method of "Fight or Flight") - without starting an interstellar war - than in The Death Fields?

• @Yronimos Whateley As someone also without a 3D printer (and who far prefers hard plastic to resin minis to boot) I totally agree on the Hunters and the Cultists. I'd love to see them in plastic.

I'd like to see the Death Fields Valkyries in plastic too, along with maybe a similarly-themed infantry or heavy infantry set. (I suppose the female Cannon Fodder or Panzerjager would work well enough for that, but I like the armour style on the Valkyries.)

@von der Tann Snake-people would be great. Also given the XCOM connection (the Thin Men became snakes in XCOM 2...). Add in some Greys and Muton-types and get ready to defend the Earth!

@Brian Van De Walker I love the idea of the mechs, kind of a smaller-scale War of the Worlds vibe.

• We got some very TMNT-y races with the Alien Cannon Fodder

My dream set would be a classic Fantasy/Deathfields combo set ala the Lizard folk and the Vain for Siren or Merfolk. I don't know how popular it would be (since I don't know of any aquatic races in popular wargames), but I'd love it.

Maybe a humanoid crinoid race could be made, so they could be used for Hrud proxies? Not quite as fun as merfolk, but it might have a niche as a digital set.

• @Red Bee Yeah, they are a little too TMNT (personally feel they are more mutant than alien).

As to aquatic races, I would look at Kings of War for fantasy, not real sure of any big Sci-Fi games with them though.

• 2 / 2