Silver Bayonet Trunk

Favorite power in Silver Bayonet?

• Thought I'd document my attempt to make a "Silver Bayonet Trunk."  The idea is a "flavorful" trunk that will hold all necessary gaming accessories and possibly all the miniatures to play Silver Bayonet.  

Step 1:

Get a trunk.  I found a wide assortment at Hobby Lobby.  Wait until the "Table Decor" is 50% off before you buy.  

I decided this one best suited my Napoleonic horror needs:

• Step 2:

Determine layout.  

Pictured:  Rulebook, cards, and dice.

To be fitted:  Ruler, tokens, and clue markers.

Step 3:

Fit velvet to the bottom.  Why?  I don't know, it's posh?  It seems Napoleonicy?

A.

Cut thin card to the size of the bottom of the truck.  I used a manila folder as that's what I had about.  (In hindsight a bigger chunk of thin posterboard would have worked better as the center fold definitely shows through the velvet.)

B.  

Glue card to velvet with spray adhesive.  The can says wear gloves.  I threw on an old 'Rona mask for shits and giggles while I was at it.  

Cut the corners off of the velvet like so.

D. 

Glue the velvet back like so.

E. 

Not a perfect job, but looks OK.

• @JTam  Again our tastes seem to coincide. Great trunk and I bought a similar deck of cards quite awhile back for the Silver Bayonet. Great idea to have a complete set up in such a brilliantly thematic design.

• @Grumpy Gnome 

Thanks!

Step 4:

Dividers.

A. 

Determined I wanted the dividers to be 3/4 inch tall.  Just tall enough to serve as dividers/preserve the most room for tall miniatures on the tray to come.  Unfortunately there was no balsa wood strips the correct height.  Glued a 1/4" strip to a 1/2" strip with wood glue and clamped overnight.

B.

Used a miter box and saw to cut the balsa strip to appropriate lengths.

C.

Finished layout.

• D.

Drilled holes into the tops of the dividers and superglued in little magnets.  (These will theoretically hold the tray secure during transit.)

• E.

Well, discovered that a layer of velvet cut down the power of magnets embedded in the divider significantly.  Decided to double down and add twice as many magnets:

• Step 5.

Fitting dividers with velvet.

A. 

I found it best to glue the divider to the fabric.

B.

Then trim off the bottom edge of excess fabric with a sharp X-acto ablade.

C.

Then use a right angle and an X-acto knife to trim of the ends.

D.

Then apply glue to the top edge of the divider and fold the fabric across the top.

E.  

Finally I glued the last side and trimmed the fabric to the bottom edge using a sharp X-acto blade.

• Great stuff!

And yes to velvet. Varnished or stained wood is NOT a great surface to store books on.

Felt is another option.

• Step 6.  

Glue in dividers.

A.  

Carefully glue in the dividers and weight them down for 24 hours.

B.  

Enjoy the completed bottom portion of the trunk.

Not perfect.... but not too bad either.

Next step...... the miniatures tray.

• @JTam Nice job, tempted to try some thing along the same lines for "Nam". You`ve  given it such a class finish, with all the things together in a very fitting "Box".Brilliant.