game systems?

• What game systems do people like for this time period? I'm aware of SAGA and the age of invasions module for that game. There's also the more genericly broad historical systems like hail caesar. I would love to learn about a new game system that really dives into late rome. I am also using my late romans as a human army for Kings of War because most of my friends wouldn't play a historical game if you put a gun to their heads.

• @Big Boi I play Dux Britanniarium too, and also Dux Bellorum, from Osprey.

You refered Saga Age of Invasions, and that must be my third choice, and tge one I play the most with friends. 

• Have you considered Kings of War Historical?

While it's not exactly chock full of late Roman flavor it would obviously represent an easy transition.

• @JTam also a good recommendation, I haven't played it in a while, but it is a good system for someone coming from Kings of War. 

• Definitely take a look at Lion Rampant from Osprey games. There's a fantasy version (Dragon Rampant) and sci-fi version (Xenos Rampant) as well.

• @Big Boi If you want a Late Ancients/Early Dark Ages ruleset that doesn't need any tweaking straight out of the box, the main three have already been covered - Saga: Age of Invasions, Dux Britanniarum and Dux Bellorum. 

Personally though, I'm not so much of a fan of any of those and am modding SPQR to include army lists for early and late Dark Ages factions. I'll stick a copy of my Dark Ages expansion here when it's completed if you're interested.

Hail Caesar and Warhammer: Ancient Battles also have army lists from this period, but as you've already said these are more generic historical games with less of the flavour of the period.

• An interesting development has appeared on the horizon - Brethren, a skirmish wargame for both Ancients and Dark Ages (which will doubtlessly include the Decline and Fall period):

https://www.brethrentabletopwargame.com/

Had a look at the Quick Start Guide and it certainly has potential, with some mechanics pinched from both Middle Earth Strategy Battle Game and SPQR along with its own unique developments, and thematic faction army lists. A full rulebook will be published soon, and the author has said that he plans to expand it to include warband-level games at some point as well, so there are exciting times ahead for it. 

It has its own forum here:

https://www.brethrentabletopwargame.com/forum

Which I have already started to post on 😉