Hex Map Tiles for Campaign/Boardgame - ala Mighty Empires

• This got mentioned on the Wargames Atlantic Legion Facebook Page, so I felt it was worth to raise here. Original idea by Chris Rowel.

The ‘1st Edition’ of Mighty Empires came with a sprue that featured a fortress, a city, three villages, three ‘army’ stands, a warship, and a dragon, plus flag stands. There were fifteen of these sprues in a set. Metal options were available for a temple, a mine, a wizard’s tower, and a stone circle - along with various siege weaponry and equipment, bridges, and undead versions of some of the above.

The ‘2nd Edition' provided a bigger sprue that featured 8 plastic hexes, 7 of which were double-sided with the 8th being a mountain range. The double sided hexes had various designs, it appearing that one side always featured a river. On this sprue were four castles, two mines, two villages and twelve plastic flags. There were six of these sprues in a set. An issue of White Dwarf came with a sprue of two hexes, a wizard’s tower, a orcish totem, a dwarf brewery, and two more flags. WD331 would presumably have the information on what those new buildings do in game, but I don't have a copy of that issue.

What would be of relevance is the fortress, cities, villages, temple/stone circle, mine, and wizard’s tower, plus hexes with various designs in them. Flag stands could be made out of pins, and secured with very small neodymium magnets. Hexes will need a central hole to ‘plug in’ the relevant fortress, city, etc.

While some hexes would have elevated mountain ranges, most could be double sided - featuring plains, rivers, farmland, woods, marshes/swamps, and coastlines. Given the need for ‘versimilitude’ with rivers, they would need to start next to a mountain hex, and then continue as unbroken rivers until they meet either a swamp/marsh or coastline, which would lend credence to having a river tile one half of every plastic hex. The question would be of how the hexes would connect to each other - holes in the side of the hex with removable pegs would allow the greatest flexability.

Hobbyists would be able to make their own ‘army stands’ out of Grand Scale Battle and other 10mm miniatures. It could be used as a game board in itself or as a campaign map. There may be options for futuristic buildings in another pack, such as power stations, factories, fortifed forward points, command bunkers, and the like.