Wasteland Nomads & Shanty Dwellers

• To whom it may concern,

Make wastland nomad scavangers and shanty dwellers. Give them a combination of gasmasks, hoods, and survival gizmos. Give them a combination of crossbows, lasguns, muskets, blunderbuss and sniper rifles.  All of these would be awsome and maybe even some room left for AK47s and curved crystal knives. I think everyone wants to see a freemen,  ash-land, scavenger, suvivalist, nomads, that could be from any corner of the galaxy or just Neo-Vegas. Just give them rags and respirators. Drop any culturally specifice or contemporary clothing desighns for just ambiguious hoods, cloaks, rags, respirator, gasmasks, and some hint of a still suit/vac suit underneath it all.

If they can be Star Nomads as well, catcing a ride on the side of a hulk and then grav-chuting into the desert to gather spice, I wouldn't cry about it.  Of course re-entry might be a matter of generating a void shield cycle with an assending friction generator sail, but we won't get into the technical details of base jumping off orbital platforms here.   

The relibility of lasguns makes sence for sci-fi desert nomads, and a combination of primative poverty weapons like crossbows, muskes, and long jezails makes the line between profeshional nomads and shanty dwellers fittingly ambiguous. 

I imagine this type of mini would have its place in any wastland setting or pirate infested space port. I can think of a few out of print sci-fi armies that would benifit from this type of mini, as well as a legendary Hollywood blockbuster that is currently ongoing.

After this you could probably make wind sail skiffs as easily as any heavy weapon team, for all those Commie Goblin and wastland players out there. If the line between these guys and space elf scouts becomes unclear as well then I would consider it a credit to your design (This probably requires some cool visors and ovel shaped stone jewelery or pendants... very understated). This could open the door to Raptor Riders or other lance wielding beast riding desert raiders.

Embrace wasteland nomads and shanty dwellers. You can't go wrong with rags and gasmasks. 

• ... and Muties!!! You just forgot about one of the most funky factions one can come across while roaming the Wastelands.

Actually mixing Skitarii rangers with FG Cultists (one of the best bands around) with maybe some Genestealer Cult's Brood Brothers / Wastelands roamers and natürlich some Cannon Fooders crew and bits, is the best way to depict such colourful persons of interest. 

• wastland diversity is the key. Are they Nomads, Shanty Dwellers, Space Elf Scouts, or Star Fey?

• @Steven StGeorges 

What are "FG" cultists?

• @Eric Howanietz 

Well timed idea.  Lots of exciting things afoot for wastelands nomads types.

And if nothing else they are good for ambushing starship landing crews and sticking space leeches in their ears.

• @JTam  

FG stands for FrostGrave mon cher ami... the Cultist set is one of the most used for kitbashing over the community.

• @Steven StGeorges 

Ah, of course.  Thank You!

• The GW Ash Waste Nomads are about to go on preorder:

• GW has surprised me by making something I like. Too bad that I expect the price to be prohibitive. I have already started trying to convince Mrs. GG...

• @Grumpy Gnome @William Redford 

Second or even third hand my friends... A lot of buyers are going to quit -as usual- after a few weeks, so to sell their minis (primed or painted) asap. 

• @Steven StGeorges Indeed. Though I am still looking for the Red Harvest Barbarians. When they announced that set, EVERYONE complained about how bad (or not human) the barbarians looked... So I figured I should be able to pick up a bunch cheaply once people get their copies and start dumping the Barbarians as was stated... Well. I am still waiting. :(

• Two hundred ninety dollars is a CHUNK O Money.  

Maybe if it goes for $250 from the online stores I can kind of rationalize it.  The GW big boxes are the only time their prices approach semi reasonable.  That's a lot of minis and terrain and templates and a rules book in the box set.  I'm sure separately GW would charge you 400 bucks or some such.  

Additionally, I don't know if you noticed but $290 just ain't what it used to be.  In a year $290 went from I have to jigsaw my groceries to get them to fit in the trunk..... to the grocery cart isn't even full.  

Rationalizations as I said.

EDIT: 

I have a friend who survived the fall of the CCCP.  Her Grandfather had some cash socked away and kept going back and forth on buying a dacha on the lake through the 80s.  He never bought it.  Then the CCCP collapsed and all that money that could have bought a cottage couldn't buy a weeks groceries.  

I'm not saying buying GW box sets is sound financial advice.....  I'm just saying if things keep trending like they are $290 dollars is going to be worth more as toilet paper soon.  

• Anyone have experience with these miniatures?

They look suitably Waste Nomady....

https://www.maelstromsedge.com/medge/store.jsp?p

• @JTam Thats true... back in the day that was a lot. Now, its like... half a tank of gas...

• @JTam  I have heard good things about the Maelstroms Edge minis, just have not managed to find any second hand yet here in Germany. I wish I had grabbed some before Brexit.

• @JTam The Broken? No, I have looked a couple times. They have some neat robots I am kind of interested in. 

So, speaking of which.. I was living in Indonesia when President Suharto was overthrown. He was onlt the second president (after replacing Soekarno) but he had been president since that time... so basically a president for life kind of deal. I actually taught his grandson (Didit) but that is a story for another time. 

Anyway, before he was thrown out, the Rupiah was 2,300 to the $. The day after it was 11,700 to the $. So as you can imagine everything just kind of fell apart. The school I was working at (ILP) was shut down for nearly a month, and they had my passport... So I could not have left the country even if I had had the money to do so... So yeah I dont really sweat stuff like the gas increasing and other (temporary problems) having lived through it on a more intense scale. 

• @William Redford Warcry's models are quite rare I may confess. Only seeing some for a few hours before they just disappear in smoke... to reappear on ebay or whatever-buy-me.com. Some folks are making a lot of money in the process as usual. 

I am waiting for Necromunda models -from all editions- and a brand new (but primed) Delaque gang just appeared a few days ago. With a lot of vintage models from 2ed -but still no Heavy Bolter Orlock... argh.

@Grumpy Gnome Some are very nice models while the rest are more mundane .. a pity the universe is so-so, so grimdarkish... a pity I told you. Even here, North of the Lines, I do have a lot of trouble to find some minis. 

@JTam 290$US is quite a lot of solid bucks one have to spend on the spot.. with all the troubles I am facing now (inflation, gas price, pandemia, lawnmoving, telecommuting, kids, ukrainian crisis, and the current size of my leadpile to name a few), such a box is not my top priority... unless 

• This is an excellent idea. It has potential to be a cross genre Sci-Fi/Fantasy set as well, like the Lizardmen. A few gun arms, a few improvised weapons. Some head options and mutated arms. Odd mutant body parts. 

Your basic mutant/scavenger probably gets about in a ragged tunic. Leg wraps.

• @Grumpy Gnome @William Redford @Steven StGeorges 

From Spikey Bits:

See!  You can save a $100.00 by spending $300.00!

You can find the box set on Ebay right now for $254 shipped.  Although Uncle Sam is going to fu*k you at the drive through for about $22.00 in taxes.  

• Even at $254 thats still more than I value my interest level at. Though, I may eventually pick up the Ash gang and bugs. May... I Think I may just look in to buying some Tusken Raiders on Etsy as that seems to be why i like them and where my real interest is, 

• I can not see me getting these at full retail unless it was as a gift for a special occasion.... but GW is admittedly charging less than I expected.

• @JTam Yes mate being of Scotiish origin, nice miniatures, very well priced over here, even selling seperaaaaaaaaaaaat spruuurs. Now ithink available over the pond with you, I like them the robots, drones, and Alien race are great.

• Any thoughts on whether the Ash Waste Nomads are actually Eldar?  In the limited available fluff there's those who think their not human.  And in the first trailer they move inhumanely fast.... they are almost Fleet.

-------

Found these pics on the net where someone converted an Ork buggy into a ganger vehicle.  

Boss!

• Guys can`t you get some of the gaint insects from Mars Attacks and make your own riders on beast and foot?

• @JTam  

Indeed, they could be descendants of a former Exodite colony.. but since we cannot look if they do wear a soulstone behind their attire and paraphernalia, it is pure speculation.

• @Geoff Maybury I have a couple of the Mars Attacks mutant insects. Cool sculpts but not the same quality of production as GW nor the same aesthetic. The Mantic material is soft, resulting in details that Are not very crisp. And they are surprisingly expensive when you can find the as the are no longer made. I did notice a seller in China on eBay having some but even they are not exactly cheap... just cheaper than the usual second hand Mantic Mars Attacks on eBay.

We bought a Mars Attacks flying saucer from them as a bit of a test. But of a delay in shipping but not unreasonable. Seemed decent enough except the canopy plastic has yellowed.

• Grumpy my friend we never got into bed with the beast whoes name you don`t speek. A lot of other trader friends of ours did, and were well FUBAR`ed by them. Lovely tricks like, have these out of date figures,slightly reduced, then opening a shop of there own, 3x the size, with gamming tables,just round the corner from you. With all the latest stock just as your putting yours on the shelf and an opening discount. Result within 6th months your`e closing down with no customers theyr`e flying high.

• The business world is full of risks.

• This might be an unpopular opinion, but the new Ash Wastes nomad guys to me seem a bit too... busy? I don't know how to explain it, considering far more detailed miniatures can really pop, but they just seem to kinda merge into this confused mess.

That said, I usually love all the Necromunda stuff.

• They are busy... more busy than my preference but still more inline with my tastes than most of what GW is putting out. And I do think that the studio paint work for the marketing photos make them look more busy than necessary.

For me part of the appeal is the package. The figures alone are only OK. Less oversized weapons, no skulls. The back banners can be skipped perhaps. But it is them in conjunction with the buildings and the giant insects that sell it to me.

• @Grumpy Gnome They do without a doubt make "Some" real talented, very good miniatures , but oh my god the "PRICES" way, way back, when they first arrived, and SI/Fi was dearer than real or fantasy. I couldn`t  for the life of me understand why this happened. A conversation about the first plastic set of space marines  and why the armor did not fit the body and the gun so huge was meet by total bull. By the time they dropped all other ranges to only sell there own we were long  gone. Just wish some one else had there vision  to build such amazing things like the Ash Wastes and  their under sea world Tam showed, so like the new Avatar Film. You Know whats that French  saying, means Style, well although it pains me they have it,  sadly you can always tell GW.  Cheers Mate.

• Lets be clear. I love Mad Max as much as the next guy. But there is a big difference between Wastland Brezerkers and Sand Nomads. Even if Shanty Dwellers, Survivalists and Sand Scavangers blur the line in the direction of our typical Road Warriors, I do believe there is a big difference between Fremin, Star Fey, Ash Nomads, various Bedowine, - versus Wastland Buzzsaw Berzerkers, and Gutter Punks. 

I think these two distinct archytpes should be seperate boxes, but I of course support kitbashing them into a myriade hybrid forms. 

In my oppinion both the Sand Nomads and Wastland Brezerkers would greatly benifit from the additional archytypes of Scum Mutants and Rogue Industrial Cyborgs.

The kitbashing of this spectrum of archetypes could lead to very broad based narratives. Just a few examples would be Rad Nomads, Tox Brezerkers, Sand-Cyborg Exiles, Juice Junkies, Spice Harvesters, and even the legendary Techno-Barbarians!  

Straight Survivalists, Scavengers, and Shanty dwellers may fall on the fringes of this spectrum because their identy can be entwined with a fall from contemporary civilization. This can somethimes leave then with unfortinate wardrobe choices which make them look out of place in deep Sci-Fi settings. This is why I always advocate for rags, robes, and cowls to help reinforce their ambiguity. A wastlander with Reeboks and a baseball-cap can silo wastlanders into contemporary Earth bound settings (Still much respect for the New Vegas crowd).    

So even if I think a Sand Nomad kit could cross the line into Shanty Dwellers and Scavengers. I do think Wastland Berzerkers, Scum Mutants, and Rogue Industrial Cyborgs should be seperate sets that don't convolude a Sand Nomad kit. 

I know its not glamorous but a stand alone Scavenger/Survivalist kit would have the potential to be a base to kitbash onto for almost anything. And could even begin fill that most illusive of all holes in Sci-fi gaming of the Prol/civilian/Human Militia. 

• I think this is a great idea and would be a fun kitbashing experiment. The hooded/cultist gas mask heads from Anvil Industries I think could make a convincing looking Ash Wastes-type space nomad, when mashed with maybe WW1 infantry bodies, the Afghan warriors that you have tagged, maybe even Death Fields Raumjäger or Cannon Fodder. Death Fields is also a good source of gas masks/respirators, of course. Grab some Death Fields upgrade sprues to give some of them robotic arms (because why not?) and setting-appropriate weapons, and you have a good Ash Wastes proxy team, or even better - your own kitbashed, custom Death Fields team!

Now the only thing that's missing are the beetle mounts...I absolutely love those! Though they're not as dynamic as the Ash Wastes beetles, Reaper has some nice looking giant beetles and scorpions that you could kitbash into a mounted unit (I have plans to make a scorpion rider some day). Or perhaps -- this looks like a job for Giant Spiders?

• @lauregami I'ed rather have Three Wheeled Sail Skiffs or Dragon Knight Raptors then, Beetle Mounts.

• @lauregami If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them... maybe you can hire the A-te... err Mustafarian flea riders. 

These were the pre-painted starwars figures... They used to be dirt cheap. I have 6 and use them in Pathfinder. I would but more but they are kind of hard to find now and more expensive.

Hmmm, cant get images to load... so here is a link to the google search for images. 

Mustafarian flea riders

• Wastelanders are great, be they inspired by Mad Max, Wasteland, Fallout, Stalker, Metro 2033, Deathlands, The Walking Dead… Lasgun weidling people wandering the wastes makes me think of Dune, more so than some sort of Grim Dark setting. Certainly there is a lot of room for far future sci-fi worlds and more near future post apocalyptic settings, the esthetic of scavenged, improvised, and homemade version of equipment does help the lack of clearly identifiable modern or future weapons make a lot of sense.

Also I am used to high markups on GW stuff, but the US price nealry 70% above the UK price seems a but much.

• @Ben Zed Bro, Dune is a Grim Dark setting, its admittedly more realisticly dark than Wh40k, but 40k is satrie like Judge Dredd.

• @Brian Van De Walker I would have to respectfully disagree with you. Dune is definitely not Grimdark in my opinion. It has too much hope in it to be for Grimdark. Most of the House Atreides characters are too morally heroic for Grimdark. And there is presented a sense of justice ultimately triumphant. 

• @Ben Zed 

There are a lot more "customers" over NorthAmerica than United Kingdom, it could explain difference between price as displayed in the UK and the US/CAN for the very same product. 

Nowadays Wastelanders are soooooo light-years away from their 90s counterparts: more alien than human (more or less mutated) colonists roaming the Industrial Wastelands inbetween Hives, so a ... blatant plagiary of Judge Dreed's Cursed Earth, as intented in RT era. Best example of such a proof of concept is Logan's World and Helsreach township, as depicted here: http://forum.oldhammer.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=6756

An awesome -back to the Day- mix of Tatooine, Madmax Ozland and Arrakeen under Harkonnen's yoke... 

To my mind, with that very set, we are witnessing the return of Gorkamorka, somehow adapted to Necromunda nevertheless. 

• Death Fields is tagged in this topic, so I've been thinking of this idea a lot in terms of that game set, and I've developed further on the idea I mentioned in my last post of how "scavengers/nomads" could work within the setting, enough to plan a longer term kitbashing/development project. I talked about this a little bit in my own building/progress topic, but I want to expound on it further here.

My thought is of communities of scavengers that live hidden within the confines of the Death Fields arenas themselves - in the empty spaces behind walls and under floors, within giant pieces of game terrain, in long-forgotten storage rooms and air ducts. After the games end and the bodies are gathered for revival, these scavengers enter the empty arenas, scrounging together whatever scraps they can to brave a hard life; whether it be scraps of material to help build out their living, or weapons and armor to defend themselves against the giant pests that also take roost in what they have made home (or to perform covert operations against the Game Guilds to procure other supplies like food).

Where would they come from? The first logical answer is from the games themselves. Perhaps some Cannon Fodder squaddie decides they want to avoid their final death for just a little longer, see an open bit of wall near a game barrier, and disappear. Perhaps a soldier has a dispute with their owner/managing team which leaves them out of a spot in the army - left high and dry, abandoned at the stadium, they turn within, bringing only what they have left. Perhaps some soldiers teleported to the Death Fields find no glory in fighting for the entertainment of some sick aliens, and refuse to participate, slinking into the first escape opportunity across which they come. Perhaps still some of these scavenger communities have existed for generations, and their offspring know no other life than that of the arena's cold walls.

This is interesting to me because it means that potentially any army with compatible pieces could be given the scavenger treatment - lizardmen with large, flowing  cloaks (made from Milliput) and the gas mask heads, a washed-out Grognard wearing the remains of their shako as they huddle into their robes for warmth, a family of Cannon Fodder scavengers who tame pest giant spiders, give them robotic limbs and train them as steeds and even to use weapons. Many possibilities with this kind of army, storytelling-wise.

The other possibility, of course, is that the scavengers come from outside the games. I imagine some worlds have arenas in huge, bustling sci-fi cities, where it is easy to come and go from the innards of the arenas unnoticed, blending in with spectators and staff. Scavengers in these regions could have the chance to trade whatever wares they don't use for their own survival. Imagine how many fans would jump at the opportunity to buy necklaces made from actual spent bullet casings from the night's game, or a real Grognard bayonet!

Other arenas would probably be in regions that are very hard or otherwise uninhabitable. These would be the smaller-scale or remotely-streamed games, perhaps played by the small earning teams. In these cases scavengers living in the arena building is much more practical; it'd be the only remotely warm place in a desert hitting negative degrees at night, or perhaps the only place with oxygen on a planet with an atmosphere of carbon dioxide. Perhaps there's trade with aliens on the outside, presumably who can breath CO2, but the thought is definitely more survival in these kinds of settings.

How does the wastelander/scavenger aesthetic make sense? Well, you have to make use of whatever you can get, even for clothes, which explains the cloaks, stitched together from the uniforms of the fallen. In those harsher environments, you'd probably need the gas masks to survive, and the goggles to save your vision, whether going out to hunt for game or whatever else is needed indoors or out, so that explains those. Weapons would be cobbled together from whatever people can get. And I threw out the idea of riding giant spiders or beetles above and in a previous post because it fits with the idea that what we normally envision as living within the walls of our house as being bugs, spiders, and other pests. I just like bug riders, and I think it fits here.

How would they make sense as a Death Fields army in and of themselves? Well, just as we tend to see the spiders, roaches and silverfish crawling around in our walls as pests, the Game Guilds see these scavengers the same way. Refusal to participate in the games, or otherwise "disrupting" the games, might be tantamount to a death sentence. Whenever the game guild catches these "pests", they are forced to participate in the Death Fields, without the benefit of organization, quality arms and armor, miraculous medical treatments, nor the sponsors who bankroll all of this. All deaths are final, and battles with the "pests" may be treated as light entertainment between standard rounds of play. It doesn't help them that many teams who have accepted the games are either willing or glad to gun down their former teammates, possibly even seeing them as "traitors" for not staying with their team or wanting to escape the games.

This whole situation might also give the scavengers the incentive to interrupt the games while they're still going, to save their captured friends and family before they are mowed down. This could manifest itself in the form of a "reserves deployment" mechanic unique to the scavengers. Perhaps the game guilds were going to try to put a stop to the interruptions once and for all, rather than just forcing captive scavengers to fight, but they found out the interruptions by the scavengers were popping huge ratings, so they have decided to let things to as is...for now.

Aesthetic inspirations are, of course, the 40K Ash Waste Nomads, as well as general post-apocalyptic fiction like Fallout and such. A big inspiration Fallout-wise is Veronica Santangelo from Fallout: New Vegas, who fits the whole "scavenger/nomad" sort of thing to a T, down to the dusty cloak. She's even a skilled tinkerer who can build great technologies from scraps. She's one of my favorite characters in the game, and I just finished a playthrough of F:NV, so that's why she's on my mind.

As far as the characterization, there are a lot of contributors, but the biggest one is my friend's D&D campaign. There was one point where we encounted a vampire antagonist who ran a lavish casino in a bustling town out in the wastes. To try and get rid of us, he threw us down a trash chute, and we were transported to the Elemental Plane of Garbage.

There we ran into all kinds of people (ranging from tinkerers to trash nomads) who were living off the refuse of the high society who opened these portals to keep their fancy lives clean. Eventually, we made it back, but this idea of "living off of what is left behind" is something that's fascinated me for a long time, and my friend's interpretation grealty resonated with me.

For other narrative inspirations I'm planning on turning to stories about killing game shows. I'm going to watch The Running Man again and explore things within the genre, seeing what I can find. I'd be surprised if this sort of idea hasn't somehow manifested itself in the genre before.

Real-life inspirations include tunnel-dwellers (like in New York and Las Vegas - I want to do more research on this so I can be a little more respectful in my reinterpretation of this idea, though), as well as Agnes Varda's documentary "The Gleaners and I", which explores this concept of people who subsist and create things out of what the world leaves behind. It's a beautiful movie, and I've been looking for an excuse to watch it again.

As a much, much more general source of inspiration, I'd also like to do some research and reading about Kowloon Walled City, a very small, very densely-populated area with lots of hustle and bustle. A similar lifestyle and aesthetic would probably be a necessity in the cramped areas between the stadium's scoreboards and loading bays.

Since there's no Death Fields game yet, I plan on using the setting to proxy for other wargames, like Bolt Action or 40K. For the latter, my Grognards are going to be Imperial Guard stand-ins, Cannon Fodder might be Orks, and I plan on making a team of Iron-Core folks as Space Marine proxies. But what I will cherish most of all will be the team which has no strict analogue: "The Pests." I can't wait.

• @Grumpy Gnome 1st book sure the Atredies are the good guys (after all the Duke's propaganda teams tells us so), 2nd book the Atredies are the biggest mass murderers in human history (61 Billion dead during the Fremen's rampage across the known universe), 3rd book the great tyrant in human history (Leto II Atredies) takes power, book 4 the seemingly immortal God Emperor Leto II has dominated human society for over three thousand years.....its pretty dark for a long time once the Atredies gain dominion.

• @John Wilson I must admit I have only read the first book. The writing of the first book did not strike me as spoken with the voice of the Duke’s propaganda team. Perhaps the series evolves into hopeless Grimdark but the first book, and the films, do not strike me as Grimdark as there is hope. 

But perhaps my understanding of Grimdark is flawed. I do not consider Game of Thrones to be Grimdark but others apparently do.

To me Grimdark is more than violence and gritty realism. It a genre where the ends justifies the means. It is nihilistic. 

Hmm... wait a moment... epiphany! That is one reason I disliked the final season of Game of Thrones. Unlike the unfinished books the final episode of GoT definitely has some Grimdark vibes. Perhaps Dune goes down the same path...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grimdark

• @Grumpy Gnome The first book mentions the Duke's propaganda teams helping to establish that the Duke is a fair and competent ruler to the governed population. To be fair he is shown to be and compared to other rulers (the Baron and Emperor) he is practically a saint. The first book does establish however that Paul knows his use of the Fremen will be devastating to the Imperium, but revenge trumps everything so he exploits implanted religious beliefs (by the Bene Gesserits) to gain control of the Fremen. Book two deals with the aftermath of the Jihad that follows https://dune.fandom.com/wiki/Muad%27Dib%27s_Jihad 

The Dune series is dark once you get past the first book, whether its Grimdark is another question. There are the obvious parallels with the 40K Imperium with the religious zealotry, Imperium, Emperor (God Emperor by the fourth book), Imperial military raised from religious zealots population of death worlds (both Sardaukar and Fremen) etc. Ultimately Leto II's tyranny is designed to prepare and then bring on the scattering of humanity beyond the known universe, its just a bloody and despotic route to the goal of human survival.

Game of Thrones wise, I can see why some regard it as Grimdark since its mainly a story of the conflict between noble houses under the looming threat that they will all be exterminated anyway by an unstoppable horde of undead any day now....so really there is no hope. I hope the eventual book ending resolves that better than the TV series.

• @lauregami  

I like the way you are actually considering the setting of Death Fields ... same approach as I.

Arenas are currently recreated biomes from various worlds from all over the Galaxy -past, present and future; each biome do possess specific ecosystem, fauna and flora (including megafauna/flora.. so yes Dinosaurs) and inhabitants (let's call them Natives), that can provide support (or not) to one or another warring team.

Like in any good Risk game, DF Teams are fighting each other to control more territories -so more ressources-  to achieve Series and win the yearly Cup like any other sportive event but more closer to Rollerball -the original movie not the stupid reboot- since Rules can be changed to please the audience and bookies all over the Known Galaxy.

I am planning to use Battleworld to depict DF main arena (sorry unable to add a picture of that world)

I was thinking about a threat dedicated to DF homebrew setting, a perpetual brainstorm session where everybody will be welcomed to add his views and points about game setting. 🖖

• @Grumpy Gnome

you may need a deliverance from WH40k if you don't think Dune is grim dark🤣. Its about the rise of tyrant in a decaying slave using empire that retrograded its tech for “fear the machine” reasons that may still get them while also suffering internal intrigues over worm poop, intrigues that are killing billions, and like GOT it explores “power corrupts” idea,  it’s pretty dark and grim and a lot of people think GW stole from it.  

• @Brian Van De Walker Again, I can only judge the first book but while grim and dark at times I do not believe it is Grimdark, as defined by 40K. The Dune Universe is not endless, constant, ever present and ultimately pointless war. There are thousands of year of relative peace. There is violence and injustice but it is not as omnipresent as in Grimdark fiction. GW has defined Grimdark with 40k and has stated that there are no goodies in 40k. None. Zero. Not Gaunt. None of the Space Marine Chapters. Notne of the Rogue Traders. Not the Tau and their Greater Good. 

That seems fundamentally different t from Dune, which while grim (as is real life) not everything is flavored by the Harkonnens. 

To me Grimdark does not just mean gritty, dark, violent and somewhat realistic. And that is part of the problem I have with 40k. I can get into the deeply rich (shades of grey) Dune Universe much easier than the comparatively shallow and hopeless 40k Universe. 

What do you mean by “a deliverance from 40k"?

• @Brian Van De Walker 

As a matter of facts, the RT-era Emperor of Man was mostly based on Gilgamesh (the first book ever written down), King Huon (from Hawkmoon), God-Emperor Leto II (from Dune).. and some guy named J. O.N. (from the bestselling sequel of the Book). But back then W40K was a satire.. 

He was not the nowadays Master Scientist (creator of the Thunder Legions, Adeptus Custodes, the Primarchs and the Grey Knights to name a few) and a Perpetual ("here we are... born to be kings, we're the princes of the universeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...."), just some uber mutant able to foresee all possible futures -like Paul and his son- and gifted with other mental powers like Prof. X or Jean Grey for instance (remember the StarChild myth?) and Chaos wasn't part of the equation... yet. 

@Grumpy Gnome 

Do not read Brian Herbert so-called sequel Dune books cause they are full of nonsense and stuff taken from Matrix and Terminator... he does not inherit his father' style, subtility and knowledges, so just stick to those his father did write down -so the 6 first novels. All the rest is irrelevant like Ambassdor Kosh used to say.

• @Eric Howanietz 

The relibility of lasguns makes sence for sci-fi desert nomads

why? laser weapons would be the least relaible of weapon types, since you have lots of high precision lenses and electronics you have to keep clean, aligned, etc. the only setting where they're treated as reliable is warhamemr 40K, and that's purely because that setting's 'relic technology' where the imperium is using designs from ridiculously more advanced predecessors. and it still makes little sense there.

slug throwers, especially muzzle loaders, bolt actions, or break actions, would be the most reliable weapons for a low tech society. especially since they could be made from scrap items.

• Perhaps the best of both worlds....a Fallout 4 style laser musket.... a laser weapon made from scrap... 

.... another settlement needs your help!

• 1 / 2