Wasteland Nomads & Shanty Dwellers

• @Mithril2098 I do like muskets and bolt action rifles sniper rifles on Sand Nomads. Bolt action sniper rifles fit some to the themes of the Necromunda Ash Waste Nomads. Where I'm getting laser rifle reliability from is 40K. This has become an accepted equipment archtype in most Sci-Fi, and increased reliability would explain laser weapon proliferation in most settings. In truth this is probably just a product of Hollywood Sci-Fi and Saturday morning cartoons. Action wasn't deemed violent if people were shooting lazers and much content could get child ratings this way. Even Aeon Flux had to lose its 9mm auto pistols in favor of needle pistols because of this silly firearms proibition in cartoons. 

• @Steven StGeorges oh I meant the markup is higher than the last time I looked into GW markup. I think 40% is their more typical markup. The new 30K Box Set is about 40%. (this includes taxes). The other big UK miniature makers have similar markup, and have since well before the pandemic. I imagine it may have to do with how as recently as 2008 it was 2 GBP to 1 USD, but it crashed about then and has not recovered.

@Brian Van De Walker I meant 40K, and genericized and variant versions of 40K. I thought it made sense to specify Dune was not 40K-esque, as a lot of 40K is very much like Dune, if not taken directly from it. i.e. Lasguns are very notable and important items in the Dune setting. Dune is very much more centered on Desert Nomads than 40K has been. So: Desert + Lasgun = Dune

I kind of feel that Grimdark is not really related to the individual meanings of those words, but rather an allusion to 40K as a whole, thinking more about how “In The Grim Darkness of the Far Future There is Only War” is so over the top and how so much of the early setting was focused on satire, not that it is an ultraviolent dystopia.

• @Ben Zed 

GW makes and will still make insanely huge profits thanks to her leading position on the miniature market. Other manufacturers have to raise their markup up in order to survive and to cover production costs. 2008 worldwide recession thanks to US subprimes business did affect GW less badly than her immediate competitors.. Mini market was still recovering till Pandemia stroke, but GW invested a lot of solid quids nevertheless in warhammer+ venture.

• Lasers do have a lot of advantages in a desert. Low moisture increases the effectiveness of the laser. Large open spaces make long range fire more important than in areas where dense vegetation or large urban areas provide huge amounts of cover and concealment (and lasers are easier to aim than bullets). Lasers don’t need moving parts firearms do, and can be designed in ways to environmentally seal them that normal firearms cannot.

Also Deathfields has laser rifles on its upgrade sprue and for the Raumjäger. And Dune makes Lasguns and the desert seem like a good combo (just don’t shoot anyone with shields).

• Games Workshop has surprised me by announcing another couple of Ash Wastes models I really like. A giant bug and Nomad bug handler. 

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/01/09/corral-some-creepy-crawlies-with-the-ash-wastes-nomad-herder-and-arthromite-duneskuttler/

• @Grumpy Gnome 

LOL.

• @Ben Zed In Dune's universe Emperor Leto prohibited personal shields, so allowing the return of modern warfare, also if on Arrakis you couldn't use them, bcz they attired the earthworms. Energy weapons in a desert /post apocaliptic environment could be justified by , as in SW universe, omnipresent power cells, more reliable than projectile weapons, or some problems with provisions, in a novel I read, there wasn't a lot of apt materials on a planet's surface for make black powder, so the colonists had to survive with primitive weapons such as crossbows and pikes. About GW's high prices, it's ironic that were their lower prices in late '80 that attired a lot of modelers in this branch of the hobby, now my younger self couldn't have afforded such prices.

• 2 / 2