Panzerjager A call to arms.

• Whilst enjoying  the Panzerjager of Wargames Atlantic my thoughts turned to the real conflict in Ukrain and the galent troops who are attacking the Soviets wiith such success. Looking at the sprues of Wargame Atlantic l was thinking where are the RPG`s, the Milan, Swingfire, there`s no anti tank missile weaponry damn, gotta scratch build.

Later l started thinking Mark wouldn`t have done Panzerjager without tank killing weaponary. I dug out the old DREAMFORGE Instructions and low and behold the large weapon shown is an Anti Tank Rifle. Now it has a scope, it`s designed to kill Tanks and Leviathens, is the scope for precision rather than range? What does it fire, it appears to be a larger version of the squad support weapon, what is its ammo , how many rounds? Does it have an extended range?  Come on you guys out there lets "make" this weapon. Geoff.

• So I recently got the Panzerjager kit and really like it......  minus the fact none of their equipment looks adequate to actually kill a tank.  Maybe in an accessory or command sprue/kit to follow?

They really could use a Panzerschreck or Panzerfaust equivalent.  

But to think about/fleshout the Eisenkern Panzerjager Antitank Rifle:  

The Eisenkern Panzerjager Antitank Rifle may have capabilities and employment similar to the PTRS41 in WW2.

PTRS 41 in WW2

Cliff Notes:  Easily penetrated light vehicles to include APCs (halftracks) and many light tanks.  Could still penetrate the sides and rear of German medium tanks at least until they started hanging schurtzen (skirts).  Soviet forces would normally employ them in multi antitank rifle ambushes.  Successful attacks depended on multiple antitank rifles working together.  Even against heavier tanks, antitank rifles could target periscopes and aerials to degrade it.  

Like this, but different ;)

The weapon could also act as a makeshift sniper system and "antimaterial rifle."

The Panzejager antitank rifle is obviously more mobile than a PTRS41.... but don't tell this guy:

So.... a Eisenkern Panzerjager Antitank Rifle is capable of penetrating APCs and destroying light vehicles and equipment.  They are more successful used in multiple rifle ambushes.  They have to target Leviathan and the likes weakpoints and may only be able to degrade them.  

• A more modern source of inspiration might be the XM25.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/XM25_CDTE

Cliff notes:  The Army started by developing the XM29.  Which was a smart round launcher conjoined with a 5.56 rifle.

(This even looks a bit like the Panzerjager Antitank Rifle )

Later the Army realized strapping a giant smart round launcher to a crappy reskinned G36 just made the weapon too awkward.  

The Army then started on the stand alone XM25 smart round launcher.

The XM25 got as far as limited field testing in Afghanistan before petering out.  I wish we had kept working on it.  Might have equalized the firepower between a US Squad and an OPFOR Squad with RPGs....   Anyway, the main feature of the XM25 is that if the enemy is in cover (which they tend to do), you can lase the distance to the target, the weapon programs the round, and it bursts slightly behind/above the cover treating the enemy to free shrapnel.

Switching gears the High Explosive Dual Purpose (HEDP) round for the 40mm grenade launcher is surprisingly effective against light armor.  

https://www.army.mil/article/194405/next_generation_of_40_mm

Develop a HEDP round for the XM25 and you basically have the Eisenkern Panzerjager Antitank Rifle.  The capabilities and employment would remain the same as the above post.   

• Thank you my friend your scource of Knoledge never lets me down amazing insights, I too was thinking along the lines ofthe british Boyes, not having a total Kill, more a cripple wound. I love the Eisenkern sets, they are so motion on a battle field, APC, to get you in ,deploy then mules to do the heavy work, and deploy the squads support weapons. Since they can cross most combat terains your heavy weapons stay with the infantry, in gaming terms used in shadow run they were ace, Aliens so quick to deloy ,Dredd they were a supprise to the judges as rouge civil defence. Across the dead Earth the were a major asist in survial aid to non coms. Used them in nearly every game we have played over the years, and these new are the best. The helmet heads are great painted blue with a white U.N as in The Peace Keepers. Thank you Tam for your great info all the best have a cyber pint on me. Geoff.     

• The Panzerjagers are something of a missed opportunity since the don't have the assault rifle/gl shown in the art work. I'd have taken the opportunity to give more of a variant to the Stormtroopers with the smg (without gl) and the assault rifle/gl. I only picked up a box to use the anti tank rifle as a GPMG since I've already bought a load of the Stormtroopers.

I used the Stargrave missile launchers (easy to remove from the arm) as my anti tank weapon for the Stormtroopers.

• @John Wilson 

Not bad.....   Thank You for the tip....

• @Geoff Maybury 

The Boyes rifle is a good analogy/source of inspiration too. 

I just went with the Soviet equivalent as they were by far the biggest (And probably longest) users of the antitank rifle in WW2.  Consequently I think their employment doctrine got a bit more refined.

Is the technology behind any of the other Eisenkern weapons explained?  Are they projectile weapons?  Lasers?  Mini rail guns?

• Mark did Pdf`s, and other forms of weapon explenations, for all his work sadly, my brain can`t remember it all. Which is why I wish to rebuild the "Lore", one of the things that I "Half" remember, is "Iron Core" itself, I think, as some thing to do with a Leviathens power drive. There were rail guns and I think beam/,laser. weaponary used by the Sadowkesh. Those axe style weapons are both long and close combat ranged.      

This is Anti Tank. 

• Unbelievable how good they are painted... 😍

• I`m realy looking forward to that part, with these new ones The grey colour was one force, the green another, and I`ve seen some really amazing urban camo.

• Before a few years I has found this german project called "The 1st Galactic Ironcore Expeditionary Force"...

but most of the pictures are gone... a great painter and so much ideas...

https://www.tabletopwelt.de/index.php?/topic/159982-the-1st-galactic-ironcore-expeditionary-force-wip-super-heavy-artillery/

• @Frank Reischmann 

You were not exaggerating, that's a great link/incredible project.   

Huge shame most of the pictures are gone.  What remains is truly impressive.

• @Geoff Maybury 

REF:

How about "The Eisenkern Panzerjager Antitank Rifle is a semiautomatic, shoulder fired, drum feed, chambered in 25mm.  It is feed from a 6 round drum and fires 25mm "APEX" (Armored Piercing Explosive Filler) rounds.  While the APEX maximizes armor piercing is has limited explosive filler to increase damage after armor penetration.  The weapon is fitted with an advanced 1 to 24 power optic with night vision and thermal capabilities.  The optic also has a built in laser rangefinder and windometer which allows effective hits out to 2,000 meters.   The weapon is normally deployed two per Panzerjager fire team and doctrine dictates an armored target is never engaged by less than two antitank rifles simultaneously.  Against extremely heavily armored targets the antitank rifles are used against optics, antennas, cabling, and other weak points in order to degrade the target."

EDIT:  Pulled out my sprues.... the antitank rifle feeds from a drum, not a saddle drum.   Also, to the best of my knowledge I just coined "APEX" rounds.

• Oh, WOW... 😍 😱

I'm depressed... a great modeller and painter... 

I throw myself into the dust...

• Guys I`ve found two pages print explaining Marks work with a guy called Robey Jenkins at something Precinctomega. On building up the rules so a Leviathen and (his words) squishy infantry work. Once again it won`t down load as Pdf, Ill get it promise. Geoff Tam love it just great chears one and all.

• @Geoff Maybury

If you give me he link to the PDF I will make JPEGS from them and post it here...

• @Frank Reischmann Cheers mate, there was no link as such its from our Iron Core files and my darling wifes done it. Heres the snippit .

• Second page.

• Now as i`ve posted else were, this is one of the last web posts, I never got on the third forum, and as the large group I mixed with at the time, did not do Iron Core, I was the only one chasing it, our first house move came, and before I knew I`d lost it all together. When our "New Computer" was set up, the third forum was unatanable to me, I`ve heard its there but?  

• Yes, great box... I've got 2 more...

• @Frank Reischmann Can`t yet decide what to do with my unmade originals, I sold all the painted,  along with my other collections. However I couldn`t bring myself to sell the unbuilt, in case the full range didn`t turn up. Converstions may be requirred to build once things become sorted out. I`ll probably go down the route of selling them  to some one who is staying old school, but could do with some more. I`m really keen on the Mules and the APC sufacing as new, I think they are the main  core for the movement of the Eisenkern Infantry and supplies.  

• @Geoff Maybury 

I never got the Command Set.  I wasn't really familar with the contents.  That's awesome!

• @JTam I loved the fact that the mules, intfantry were all conected by laser designators and mules could be programed to follow the brain mule, or a poor foot sloger.  

• This page features some of the games rules and infantry cards along with stats from Pdf`s of variuos races. Note the infantry card center. 

• @Geoff Maybury 

That makes sense for the Mules.

Really impressed with the Command Set.  Includes the other half of the Platoon Leadership, the Platoon Sergeant, that most games forget about.  (A trooper should have the colors though).  The Commo guy with mule for relay equipment makes sense.  The medic with stretcher mule makes sense.  And the FiSTER guys (forward observers) with target designator is awesome.  Artillery is still the King of Battle.

• @JTam I`m going to do a piece soon on the Valkir set. This set was so much in demand even we thought about stocking ( until we got the crazy purchase level ). Used as proxy GW , but as true Iron Core, Tam you`d have been brilliant with them. They had 3 problems, could`nt move fast, human walk less 1", went through Ammo like a dose of salt, easly flanked so became a can of meat on legs. Suport them with close weapon Valkir, along with infantry and they`d hold any hole, with mule ammo supplies. Can`t wait to bring that relism back to the battle field  and real Shadowkesh to boot.  

• @Geoff Maybury 

The way they functioned on the battlefield is really cool as you described.  I can picture their flanks screened by light Infantry while ammo resupply keeps getting pushed up from the rear.....  Good stuff.

I never got the Valkir kit.  I do have one of the double? triple? size Valkir display kits.  I plan to mount it on a plinth or put it in the center of a fountain for terrain.

• @JTam I really like the second idea. that would make such a set piece, perhaps you could cast various parts of it and make two identical models, one pure with resin water, the other destroyed statue, damaged water broken and running out. Twice the work, but so much fun to see on a board. All my Valkir are gone now, as the were all painted, and the old, I miss them as finished. Still the new will fit my buildings far better, and as Eileen said, they did scale with Aliens, and I got a good price. Never seen one of those collecter series over here ,treasure it and use it well  my friend "Copper Statue, I see it well, the flow is strong in this form".  Cheers Geoff. 

• My originals were all grey and green schemes now I`ve an idea for steel and white and red as like a modern Templer, by the way I got lucky I got a Avengers Quin Jet from E- bey so they`l have tranport like this guys made..

• @Geoff Maybury 

The Vakirs -whatever their options- were awesome, I am still waiting anxiously to know when WGA is going to release them anew. 😇

Avengers Quinjet was the best option but pricetag is a bit over the top... when compared to 3d printed models...