Spanish Civil War

• I've been hoping for a Spanish Civil War set for a while. My hope is that WA, with it's unique tastes and skills to produce plastic set options that are often overlooked, would pick up the gauntlet to make some more specific Spanish options. I do believe that a combination of the partisan set, the WWII Italians, and some of the WWI French options allow you to make a lot of Spanish Civil War stuff; however, what I'm looking for is a plastic kit that provides options more like the pics below. 

What's key here are the beret options and the rolled up sleeves. I know a lot of beret options could come from the Partisan set (and would make great Carlists) but the heads with campaign covers (for Falangist variants) don't have facial hair. 

Pin on Guerra ¿Incivil? Española

Here are some of the colonial options that could already be made using Afghan heads with Italian bodies and also even the Tirailleurs heads. The trousers are obviously different here, though.

Spanish Civil War / Blue Division Volunteer Collection - Page 18

Here are some more pictures of the foreign legion uniforms

Spanish Civil War Armies & Uniforms | Civil war art, Civil war, War

Here are some examples of republican uniforms. I think they should be easy to replicate with the Partisan/WWI Russian kits and a generic Spanish Civil War kit:

Spanish Civil War, a Republican group of volunteer British ambulance drivers in Barcelona 1937 ...

Some volunteer uniforms.

The Beret Project: The Beret and the Spanish Civil War

A pic of an anarchist brigade members:
    Historic Anarchist Clothing/Uniform/Etc? : Anarchy101

In sum, I think a lot of this stuff can already be recreated through kit bashes but what would make a serious difference would be having models that represent the the Spanish Civil War specifically as well as the dryer climate in a lot of areas (rolled up sleeves and less thick campaign clothing).  Also I found this painting guide that might also be helpful for inspiration. My two cents.

• Nice post!  A lot of good information presented.

Certainly an interesting conflict.  

Great link.  That site with painting guide to various forces is really impressive.

Are you familiar with the Painting War series?

I'm not sure which side of the pond you're on, so here's two links:

UK

Merica!

I don't have that volume but I have several others.  They are well laid out and I always enjoy them.  Besides showing how the particular artist paints dozens of subject miniatures they will describe uniforms, ranks, etc.

• I would probably buy such a kit.

• I picked up this very nice volume recently:

It covers German forces in the early war. 

One of the chapters is on the the Spanish Civil War.  Here are some excerpts:

• There's another underappreciated but fascinating period of history! 

I agree - looks like the WGA French Resistance, WWI/WWII French Infantry, and Italians can probably supply a lot of useful bits between them.  Some dedicated kits would really be interesting and unique though, and could provide useful bits of their own for further kit-bashing and conversion projects.

• I would certainly buy a spanish civil war kit, the kitbash for the international brigades would be fairly straightforward. 

Great posts and great ideia. 

• @JTam Excellent! Thank you for the recommendation. I'll look into this. 

• @Daniel Broaddus 

The Milicianas are interesting.

Evidently the coverall was a common uniform.

Kit/webbing seems to range from none,

to belt and cartridge box,

to cross-straps and two cartridge boxes.

It might be possible to use the upcoming Female Cannon Fodder as a basis for conversion to Milicianas. 

Sand off extra detail. 

Add a belt and cartridge box.

Use the Mauser arms from the WGA Panzer Lehr.

Use these heads or similar:

Not sure where to find matching cartridge boxes.... Most any could be adapted or scratch built though...

Would be a fair bit of work, but could be really cool.

Of course the easy button is metals from Empress:

Nice homage on the right:

• There's a good article on Milicianas in Wargames Illustrated Number 348.

My issue is hiding, but I'll post some outtakes when I find it.

• The Milicianas (and the Milicianos) would be a very nice kit, you could almost use them, with head changes, of course, on any interwar cenario, and many WWII resistance cenarios across Europe.
    With some eye squinting, you could even get away with them in post war Palestinian conflict.

• The current partisans are pretty broadly usable. Some general 1919-1953 female Partisans would be neat. Of course, the main issue would be what guns to give them.

• @Nanashi Anon 

I would lean towards most of the weapons on the sprue being Mausers.  Mauser variants are easily the most wide spread rifles in use in the first half of the 20th Century.  It's hard to find a conflict between 1900 to 1950 where one side or the other (if not both) are using Mausers. 

Consequently wherever your Partizans hail from, Mausers will likely make sense as either native arms or captured enemy arms.  

(Sidenote: In 28mm the Mauser isn't a bad stand in for the Arisaka either.)

Throw in one Sten gun (air dropped, smuggled in, or fabricated all over Europe), one MP40, one PPSh, one generic revolver and one generic semiauto pistol and call it a day.  

• Watched "Valley of the Dead" last night.

https://www.netflix.com/us/title/80208806?s=a&trkid=13747225&t=cp&vlang=en&clip=81610982

It's about the lesser known employment of undead raising gas in the Spanish Civil War.  I enjoyed it.  

• @JTam  Far from perfect but quite an enjoyable zombie film in my opinion. Except for the ending that is. And the main villain, he was forgettable. So many tv shows/movies really have trouble coming up with a good ending and memorable villains. But overall the film is certainly more than a couple of notches above what folks might think. Not as good as say Dog Soldiers, but close. If you liked Dog Soldiers you will probably like Valley of the Dead. 

• @Grumpy Gnome 

I was fine with the ending.  I can't really go into it without spoilers.  

I assume you are referring to the tall German as the main villain?  

Ah, but he's not.  He's just a tool.  The even more main villian is the Spanish General willing to experiment on his own population.  But the even more villains are the Zombies.  But the mostest main villian is the douchebag Political Officer.  

• There are as you have said many villains... but to me the least interesting was the German Nazi Officer. I have seen plenty of interesting German Nazi Officer villains and was not one of them. He was goofily cartoonish (and thereby not very effective in my opinion) compared to the Spanish General and Political Officer. The exaggerated character went into the realms of camp and turned him almost comedic, which differed from the tone of the other characters in the movie. I found it jarring. Even the quality of his costuming was not on par with many of the other German soldiers. I wonder if it was a conscious choice by the director for some reason that I have yet to fathom.

• @Grumpy Gnome 

It's hard to pull off a cape.

• They needed Udo Kier from Iron Sky.

• Ala Jainkoa ! Oh Lord !

The proud and "boiling" country of the Inquisition, of "el garrote vil", of the Gernika bombing (bloody death, just for civilians : men, women and children together), the fantastic country of mass graves in each rural village (est. 150.000 extra-legal executions of civilians by soldiers and voluntaries, Red or Blue ones) doesn't need any Nazi villain...

Just because Spanish villains knew perfectly their job !

In the real History, the Spanish (nationalist) villains died in their beds, in peace, with their family and friends all around them, with the benediction of the Catholic church of Spain. Just remember that the Franco family is part of the Royal spanish family, and "Grandes de España", today in 2022...

Two excellent books to read : For Whom the Bell Tolls (Ernest Hemingway) and Spanish Testament (Arthur Koestler). Two excellent movies to see : Land and Freedom (Ken Loach, Republican/anarchist point of view) and Fiesta (Pierre Boutron, 1995, Nationalist/military point of view)...

This last movie is very good (uniforms, context, landscapes) and very cynical : "Nous vaincrons parce que nous sommes les plus cons..." or "Les Rouges fusillent les prêtres, les bourgeois et le peuple... Ah oui, nous aussi, mais dans un ordre différent !"

The action is for me "etxean" (at home), in the Basque Country (Euskal Herria). We all (old and young) keep the memory of this time. 1936-39 : Civil War and exile for 400.000 Spanish citizens ; 1940-48/52 : purges and camps for the suspects ; up to 1975 : dictature, softer but real (cf. Putin) ; 1968 to 2010 : years of terrorism and hard repression in Euskal Herria : bombs, executions, extra-legal arrests, torture...

Now we are in peace... but be sure that the ghosts of war are all around ! 

• @Pierre Lerdou-Udoy You make some fair points. 

• Thank you for agreeing, Citizen (and good fellow)... Civil War is not yet History for us, in Spain and southern part of France, because of the Law of Amnesty of 1977, still valid.

In Spain, the Villain is you, (former) soldier, honest man, obeying to your orders an convinced that you are fighting for the Good of our common country. Bang ! The Villain is me, Basque, honest man, refusing the arbitrariness of a military power and taking up arms to save what I call democracy. Bang !

Who is to blame ? Bang ! Bang !

The only difference is that you, former leader of a military punitive squad, couldn't be (and can't be) judged for your crimes... no Bang ? I, former leader of a Republican punitive squad, have been arrested and executed by a military court before 1977. Bang ! Objection overruled...

Justice is over, even if I can understand that "la ley de amnistia" possibly prevented a second bloodbath.

• I have had friends try to explain the injustices happening in Spain right now. It saddens me to hear of it still continuing and with the EU would do something to resolve the situation.

• Honestly, things are changing, but very, very slowly...

The Spanish forces of police are now regionally organized and "la Guardia Civil" is very close to our French "Gendarmerie". Soldiers are now in their caserns and judges are civilians ones, independant. The Constitution of Spain is a democratic one.

But there was a period, until the 2000's, when everyone of them had to learn the basic rules of Democracy : old arbitrary reflexes and "blunders" (bavures) were common. Especially in Catalunya and Euskal Herria.

Apart from that, life is good in Spain and people are great ! Sol y sombra (light and shadow)...

Während ich dich halte, Grumpy Gnome... Ich kenne dein Blog und deine Arbeit ist wirklich Klasse. Hut ab !

• @Pierre Lerdou-Udoy Danke! 

• One of my grandfathers (born in Friesland, 1912) had as best friend Pablo, who was a veteran of the Basque anti-fascist troops, Eusko Gudarostea (the Basque army).

Their war song is magnificent, especially the old version, with flutes (txirulak) and drums (ttun-ttunak). Listen EUSKO GUDARIAK (the Basque warriors), in the oldest native language of Europe, "euskara"...

We, Euskaldunak of France and Spain, are very proud of this resistance against fascism, even if other Basques, the Requetés, were part of Franco's shock troops.

Civil war...

• SCW was (rightly) reputed as a sort of trial for WWII tacticts, with widespread use of tanks, expecially by the Legion Condor, radioes on them, another idea from the germans, and massive use of bombers against not only military objectives but also civilian ones. It saw one of the first air lift in history, when German and italian aircrafts carried a lot of colonial troops from N. Africa in Spain to support Franco's efforts. Probabilly, Without them, the revolt would've ended very swiftly, naturally, when they tried to repeat the trick against the allies in Tunisia, it didn't end well for them!

Civil wars are always bad, but this was one of the worst, at least until Yugoslavia's one, in Europe, the country was literally bloodied white, economically and morally.

Italians had also an anticipation of what would've happened few yrs later, given that they wer on either sides of the fight.

• Information on the Trubia Naval:

https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/spain/Trubia_naval.php?amp

@Grumpy Gnome 

Looks like a great fit for Quar too.

• @Grumpy Gnome 

but to me the least interesting was the German Nazi Officer. I have seen plenty of interesting German Nazi Officer villains and was not one of them. He was goofily cartoonish (and thereby not very effective in my opinion) compared to the Spanish General and Political Officer. The exaggerated character went into the realms of camp and turned him almost comedic,

sounds likethe writer was of the same attitude as Mel Brooks:

"I said: Listen, get on a soapbox with Hitler, you're gonna lose — he was a great orator. But if you can make fun of him, if you can have people laugh at him, you win."

-----

"The only way to get even with anybody is to ridicule them," he said. "So, the only real way I could get even with Hitler and company was to bring them down with laughter."

• @Mithril2098  A very fair point. I would prefer we lived in a time when we could have believably competent, scary Nazi villains in films without them becoming role models for contemporary Neo-Nazis but sadly we do not.

So yes, objects of ridicule makes some sense.

Very interesting when you consider how Imperials are treated in Star Wars in Andor and the original Star Wars trilogy compared to the New Order in the last Star Wars trilogy.

• @Grumpy Gnome Right, having baddies as scary as Deera Meero is bonus point for any good story, on the contrary villains as  weeny as Kilo Ren or moronic as general Hux are a litteral recipe for a disaster. After all, if an enemy arrived to became a menace, he/she has to be at least a bit competent (f.e., think how well designed is cpt. Vidal on Pan's Labirinth, a real monster in human form).

• @Alessio De Carolis I see your point, it is infact the same point I have previously made. I have enjoyed the portrayal of Imperial characters in Andor just as I enjoyed the competent and scary Nazis in the Indiana Jones movies. But I also understand how some folks prefer ridiculous villains... in order to ridicule those like them. Not my preferred tactic but I understand how it may work for some folks.

• @Grumpy Gnome the key thing with nazi's and their ilk is to get across how wrong their ideas are and  to make them look bad. Brooks's method works well for comedy and less serious works. i personally refer to it as the "Col klink and Sgt Schultz" method, where you play up the absurdity. 

in more serious works you have to be more subtle, which is why it often fails i think. you have to show that their ideas and beliefs caused lots of harm to others and allowed them to do terrible things. Original trilogy star wars, and most of the original trilogy era disney+ shows do that pretty well, since the trilogy opened with an attack on what appeared to be a civilian diplomatic vessel, then we got stuff like Owen and Beru Lars being incinerated, the destruction of peaceful alderaan, vader betraying Lando, the implied imperial attacks on the Ewoks, etc. the disney shows have done pretty well too, with rebels, kenobi, bad batch, and Andor showing us how the empire's oppressive regime and lack of ethics and morality harm entire planet and individuals. (even the more kid friendly show rebels showed stuff like imperials beating up and stealing from farmers, imperials casually killing their own troops, plus stuff like the genocide of geonosis. plus the way that they poison lothal with all their mining.) the sequel trilogy i think wanted to emulate that, through the lense of modern neo-nazi/"Alt-right" movements with a new generation idealizing the original empire, while showing how bad the first order was (attacking a village, destroying hosnian prime, the whole steal kids to brain wash them into troops' stuff) but the writing and style just weren't up to getting that across well.

sadly, zombie films, especially lower budget ones, tend to be consider to fall more on the 'silly/absurd' side so you get clownish nazis, even if the role would have been served by a more serious character. i suspect that had they not had to use a nazi for the plot (if it had been set in some other war for example) the outcome would have been different.

but we're getting rather off topic. 🤷‍♂️