Afghan Cavalry information and conversion ideas

• What information do we have so far about the set's weapon/head options and release priority (obviously ETA is impossible to ask about at this stage)? I have been anticipating this set since it was announced!

Does anyone have ideas on how appropriate these would be to convert to something like 16th century Safavid or Mughal cavalry? Did cavalry wield jezzails back then, or were these a later innovation?

How would you use this set?

• @B Scobe

Well beyond what’s on the release schedule, no idea when they are coming out.

As to firearm use, they are both Gunpowder Empires so I can see why you ask. At the timeframe your looking at they would likely be using Matchlock guns though it depends on what battles we are talking about (flintlocks show up with Europeans).

Not really sure on the Safavid Empire.

However the favored Mughal gun was not a Flint or Percussion lock Jezzeil but a toradar matchlock of which several variants existed, and to my limited knowledge the Mughal cavalry either never used firearms or did so in limited numbers and remaining more medieval in nature with regards to equipment when actually on horseback (bows and arrows carried the day for cavalry in much of the world till up to colonial conquests made by Europeans). 

It seemed like official Mughal military infantry where often as up to date as they could be (particularly towered the end of the empire where some Raja forces were almost no different from their European opponents as far as arsenal quality and training goes), but the toradar was still pretty common weapon in the hands of peasents up to the mid-19th century.

• In this month's issue of Wargames Illustrated, the first image of the Afghan Cavalry box can be seen in the WA advert on the back inside cover, on the right of the circle of product box images, below Persian Infantry and above Skeleton Warriors.

I'm sure this is the second time WA have teased the arrival of a product in one of their advertisements in Wargames Illustrated. Curious they decided to show the Afghan Cavalry of all things, which are still in Sculpting according to the Release Schedule, and not the WWI British Infantry which are believed to be arriving first and are the only planned new set to have got as far as Tooling, or even any of the sets that have got as far as Layout.

• @Caratacus I saw a photo of the sprue at one point from 2021. I really hope that whatever the problem is can be resolved as I was hoping to buy the Conquistador Cavalry too.

• @Jason Kennedy I just wish they'd get on with making plastic boxed kits again after obsessing over Atlantic Digital for the past few months, it's taking up too much time that should have been spent on finishing more proper boxed products.

• @Caratacus yay, I get that the digital is the new flashy thing, but for those of us with little desire to get a 3D printer, if feels like it is a drag on the kits that were previewed years ago.