OOH- RAH! R16 Shotgun looks off

• Shouldn't the forestock be forward more? Is it too late to correct? Seems weird to have it racked back

• Maybe it's a semi and that's just the grip? 

• I assume when assembled the miniature is racking the slide back/working the action.  (Similar to miniatures working the bolt or loading a magazine or single round into other weapons.) 

I think modeling the weapon and miniature in mid action is cool.  And I think the inclusion of a shotgun in this set is very cool.

• It's uncommon but pump action guns where the cocking action is to push the slide forward then back do exist. The Krieghoff Semprio is one I found, though that's a rifle not a shotgun.

I wonder if this is intended to have a box magazine as opposed to a tubular one? One of the reasons for pulling back to cock on a tubular magazine slide action is to pull the shell back into the feed. If the shells are being fed vertically from a box magazine, pushing the slide forward to open the breech and eject the case makes sense (in practice it could likely be engineered either way around).

Edit: also see the Russian RMB-93 and the South African Truvelo Armoury Neostead 2000, which appear to be the only mass produced reverse pump action shotguns. The Ooh-Rah weapon is most similar to the RMB-93 of the two. In both cases it is indeed the magazine feed arrangement that calls for the reverse pump.

• It's PROBABLY a standard pump action shotgun.  The slide is being pulled to the rear.  This is accomplishing:

1. If the weapon is empty pulling the slide to the rear allows one to inspect the chamber.

2.  If the tube magazine has ammunition but no round is in the chamber of the shotgun, racking the slide back and forward will introduce a round into the chamber.  The weapon is now ready for close encounters as per the GIF above.

3.  If a round is already chambered and/or expended, racking the slide ejects the chambered round, and the slide forward introduces the next round from the tube magazine (if there is any ammo left.)

• Now this new GW miniature has some problems:

He has evidently racked (slide back, slide forward) his boarding shotgun.  However, the ejected shells from a shotgun don't dribble out....  The ejected shell shouldn't be near the ejection port, but rather falling by his knees somewhere.  In this case, if they wanted to model the ejected round by the ejection port like they did -  they should have captured the miniature mid stroke, slide to the rear, like it looks like WGA did with the Hoorah shotgun.

As it is, it's still a cool miniature which I preordered.

• @Mark Dewis 

I'm a little confused on what you are saying here:

Are you saying that racking the slide back on a conventional pump action shotgun inserts the chambered round back into the magazine?  That's not what happens.  Any chambered round is ejected.  The only way to top off/reload a tube magazine (ir a box magazine for that matter) is manually, by hand.  Maybe I'm just misunderstanding what you are conveying.

EDIT:  Maybe your saying that racking the slide back moves the round in the tube backwards towards the chamber?  Not really.  The rounds in the tube magazine are under constant spring pressure.  Racking the slide back ejects the round, moving the slide forward chambers the next round, finally the rounds in the tube magazine move back as they are under spring pressure.  

• Just to clarify, as you can see from the GIF above the rounds are still being introduced vertically, whether feed from a tube or box magazine.  

I've seen many conventional pump shotguns feed by tube of course, and some by box magazine.  They even make conversion kits to convert some shotguns from tube to box magazine.  

I don't really see why it matters if it's a conventional pump or a "reverse pump" as Mark Dewis describes.  Both can be feed from tube or box magazine.  The miniature will look exactly the same as it racks the slide.... whatever cycle of action it is accomplishing.

• @JTam No, I probably worded it poorly. Your GIF shows it clearly - normally it's the full pull-back (move shell from the tube magazine into the feed and eject the spent cartridge) and push forward (move shell into the breech and close it) sequence to cycle the action.

But, if a tube magazine is not being used and the shells are being fed by some other means, it can work out that a reverse pump action is practical (shell is already ready in the feed - push forward to move it into the breech, then pull back to close the breech). Or at least that's my understanding of the described reverse pump models that exist.

Edit: one slight possibilty is that it is a conventional action but one which allows slamfire when the trigger is held down continuously. In that situation you aim with slide to the rear and push it forward to fire, effectively using the slide as the trigger. This is, however, more of a WW1 era trench broom thing than a modern tactic AFAIK.

Onle last idea - which I think has merit - it's a semiauto shotgun but uses the slide as an initial cocking  mechanism. 

However... look at automatic models such as the Benelli M4. That's not a slide, just a handgrip, with the forward tube magazine exposed:

Review: Benelli M4 Cerakote Shotgun | An Official Journal Of The NRA

• @JTam 

Do you preorder Into the Dark -so the complete box- or only the Navy Boarders?

• @Steven StGeorges 

The whole box Brother.  GW got me on this one.  Cool concept (super close quarters combat/ship boarding), cool terrain, two very cool factions.  Couldn't say no. 

Plus this years whole "season" of Kill Team will continue with the spaceship/space hulk terrain.  One can have a full table of ship terrain to fight over in the end.

While I was losing my mind/taking advantage of a Labor Day sale I got the Rogue Trader team as well.  

• @JTam 

I was wondering about doing the same actually thanks to polygon review of the upcoming KT boxes. The SHesque terrain is quite appealing to me ... Already preordered the Elucidian Starstriders and ordered some previous teams like the Corsair Voidscarred.

👍

• @JTam 

Oh and do you take a look at Necromunda Palanite Enforcer Patrol

With one mere 47$US box you can build up to 10 Enforcers with quite a vast array of options:

- 6 Enforcer shotguns
    - 6 Enforcer boltguns
    - 12 autopistols
    - 6 stub guns
    - 2 stub guns with flashlights
    - 2 sniper rifles
    - 2 shock batons
    - 2 concussion carbines
    - 2 magnacles
    - 12 heads – 10 helmeted and 2 unhelmeted

• @Steven StGeorges 

The Enforcers just don't float my boat.

I'm well aware that the Enforcers are different than Adeptus Arbites, but did you ever read this?:

Permanently turned me off to the Arbites (and friends).  The "Heroine" is a straight biotch.  I've read books about genocidal Chaos Space Marines that had more sympathetic protagonists.  

And after just saying I wasn't interested, if I WAS...... I'd probably get these sweet minis:

• @JTam 

Maybe one day, GW will release new minis of the long lost Adeputs Arbites based on the very first models (second row) out of Jes Goodwin' sketch not the second set (first row) nor the third one.

First version of Arbites was clearly an tribute to 2000AD comics universe (mainly Judge Dreed and Strontium Dog), one of the main sources of inspiration for Rogue Trader back then. Remember GW -under Mad King Brian- was owning a licence and released a line of 2000AD minis and games (Block Mania and Mega-Mania were a must.. both games including the previously unpublished Happy Hour expansion are available again thanks to https://rebellionunplugged.com/block-mania/)

Second and Thrid sets are more closer to the Judge Shock Units -as depicted in comics and Stallone's Judge Dreed back to the 90s. 

In 2015, Wargames Foundry released the Empirical Absolution and Liquidation Squad, with well-known models amongst Citadel collectors like 8ball (first seen in RT book).

https://www.wargamesfoundry.com/collections/ex-citadel-games-workshop-fantasy-sci-fi/products/ba001-empirical-absolution-and-liquidation-squad

From left to right...

1. Captain Repentance: a Rogue Trader miniature that appeared in a photograph on page 11 of the Warhammer 40,000 Rogue Trader book, a prototype Imperial Inquisitor, the base miniature for this was the 2000AD Strontium Dog Johnny Alpha from the Citadel Judge Dredd miniature range.
    2. Sergeant Shame: a prototype Adeptus Custodes, another Citadel Judge Dredd miniature was used as the base miniature for this one, the SJS Judge holding Rifle
    3. Private Penitence: another prototype Adeptus Custodes miniature sculpt based on a Citadel Judge Dredd miniature and in this case it's Judge Giant
    4. Corporal Contrition: another miniature that appears in a photograph on page 189 of the Warhammer 40,000 Rogue Trader book sporting an 8 Ball helmet and is based on the RT7 Mercenary 'Old World Jack
    5. Lord Revelation: he is clearly depicted on page 140 of the Warhammer 40,000 Rogue Trader book as a typical Administratum Scribe.

Original JG Concept Sketch from late 80s/early 90.

Last minis released for Necromunda circa 2003

I listened to the audiobook in fact... but you are right: Enforcers are clearly bloody psychopaths closer to Dune Sardaukars than faithfull Adeptus Arbites according to their background as described there:

https://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Palanite_Enforcers

Not a fan of Heresylab models.. too chunky to my mind. I am pretty sure I saw more intersting minis on Etsy ... 

Like these ones