Female French Resistance - 'Allo 'Allo

How many bodies on the Female French Resistance sprue should be wearing Mary Janes, ankle socks, and trenchcoat?

• So "WW2 Partisans" is crushing it on the what female kits do you want to see poll.

https://wargamesatlantic.com/community/xenforum/topic/79673/wargames-atlantic-friday-poll

Now I personally hope that's Eastern Front female partisans.....

https://wargamesatlantic.com/community/xenforum/topic/49886/suggestions-for-new-soviet-kits

But if it is French than I would like to voice my support for at least one body wearing Mary Jane shoes, ankle socks, a beret, and a trench coat. 

Needs a luger hand:

And Sten gun and Mausers for serious work:

I've been binging 'Allo 'Allo on Amazon and I particularly enjoy the firefights between the identically dressed (aforementioned shoes, socks, trenchcoat, and berets) bands of French Resistance and Communist French Resistance.

Besides an homage to excellent show, a trenchcoat body is not historically inaccurate:

• As an idea:  

One female in German uniform would be welcome in the kit.  Build as an adversary or as a Resistance member in disguise (worked all the time in 'Allo 'Allo.)  I know some would pick up the kit just for that body (like me).

Extremely convincing disguise:

• While we are talking about Partisans.  

Philipino guerrillas:

https://wargamesatlantic.com/community/xenforum/topic/44399/suggestions-for-new-ww2-kits?page=2

Certainly a female body or two on that sprue wouldn't be amiss:

• I think some or most of them should be wearing pants and overalls, so I can use them as Spanish Republican Milícias. 😊

Re using parts of uniforms was standard for partisans, so I have no problem with partly german uniforms. 

• @Vitor Soares

Good point.

The AK helped themselves to entire warehouse worth of German kit right at the start of the Warsaw Uprising if I remember correctly....

• @JTam exactly. You can see it in a lot of Republican Spanish, French Resistance and Italian Resistance fighters.

• With captured germans' uniforms surely there was the danger of (not so) "friendly fire"!

• @Alessio De Carolis 

No doubt.  There's significant danger of fratricide among well trained troops under good conditions.  With partisans fighting in desperate conditions wearing captured kit....?

You will note the use of armbands, etc., by the AK above in an attempt to aid identification.  

Still there were advantages.  Camouflage is camouflage.  Rugged garments that allow unrestricted movement with lots of pockets was a rarity in civilian clothes.  70% of battlefield casualties are cause by shrapnel.. helmets were/are the single most life saving piece of protective equipment available.  MAYBE some thought wearing ANY uniform MIGHT offer some protection if captured.  That sounds fair fetched but some of AK that surrendered after the collapse of the Uprising were treated as POWs.  (Supposedly there was high level political intervention/threatening of retaliation against German POWs involved in that though.)

• One body in that get up is enough and what’s more I think they should do one generic pulp action girl heroin in pants (maybe with a flight jacket, though worker overalls isn't bad), a plucky farm girl body in a long skirt, and maybe a one pulpy “femme fatale” like body.  If more, maybe a german uniform body, but to be honest not a big call for that out of partsain set, maybe a "girls in uniform" set.

• Works every time...

• One thing that we will probablly all agree on is that as a natural set, it`s just what we want, and a second or third will give great conversions.

• Maria just got mailed to Switzerland.  This is some bullsh*t.

• Also Michelle seems to have traded in her Luger for a Webley or similar top-break revolver.

• This weeks sneak peek:

LOL, awesome!

• @JTam As soon as I saw that sneak peek post I knew that whoever had created this thread (you it turns out 😉) would be pleased that WGA had heard you. Hope it turns out to have all the 'Allo 'Allo you're looking for 😄

I'm certainly interested to see what sort of female heads they come up with for this, because there is a notable lack in female heads with long, naturally flowing hair and these may well fill that gap.

It looks as though, then, that they do take some of the suggestions on here into account when making their stuff, here's hoping they have noticed some of my fantasy suggestions as well...

• From newsletter

"Here's an easy one!"

Female partisans

• These look great.  Well done to the sculptor.

The center figure is carrying a "grease gun" ...  I was reading about there use by partisans in Europe just yesterday:

(Looks aside, for combat I would pick the M3 over the Thompson everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.)

The right figure appears to have appropriated a German tunic.

• Hi, good Fellows,

I would like to react on the JTam's photo, showing a group of three "partigiane" (she-partisans), armed with rifles. See above...

The young woman on the right, the smallest one, is identifiable : her name was Assunta Masotti, she was 18 years old in 1945 and was a member of the Communist Resistance in Romagna (Ravenna), under Arrigo Boldrini, "Bülow" (then deputy and senator in the Italian Republic). I read a paper about her in the magazine Rolling Stone, 2020.

All the best !

• As the Second World War left so many nameless and faceless victims, on all sides... giving names on the anonymous actors of the time is important. Thank you, "adiskide" (friend).

• As we take a slight left hand turn into Italian Partisans:

Prosperina Vallet:

https://www.rainews.it/archivio-rainews/articoli/Il-giallo-della-partigiana-Proseprina-Vallet-un-mistero-risolto-nel-2011-e-ora-in-mostra-a-Padova-c4610d40-f8ce-4f4b-bbc2-2741bc8d10a4.html

The real mystery is how she laid hands on a Suomi SMG.  Finland was a big "importer" of arms, not so much the reverse....

• Hello, JTam... you have the eyes of an Apache scout !

The Suomi KP31 was considered as a very good, solid and reliable weapon. It was only discontinued at the end of the 60s. I see several possibilities for a KP31 to be present in Northern Italy :

1. Finland provided several thousand units to her Axis allies (Germany, Bulgaria, Croatia...). The area of Süd-Tirol, Slovenia and Croatia was an Axis anti-partisans combat zone, with regulars and irregulars (Heer, SS, Ustachis, "Republican" Black shirts and Nazis home milicians (Steiermark), from 43 to 45 ;

2. The Italian army had a (naval and air) contingent engaged with the Finnish and German armies around Leningrad and the Lake Ladoga operations. Way back home, I guess the Italians brought some KP31 back ;

3. German police and security forces, and the Ersatzheer were generally armed with foreign, old or captured materials. The best and new "made in Germany" weapons were reserved for the Feldheer (fighting units). One of the missions of these rear troops was to guard strategic points and lines of communication ;

4. Swiss (contraband) weapon (MP 43/44) ? Hispano-Suiza had a manufacturing license for the KP31...

We'll never know.

• Hey, my brother "Mescalero"... looking closely at the weapon, I have an idea on its origin.

Now, let's see if you come to the same conclusion. Tu relèves le gant ? Do you take up the gauntlet ?

• @Pierre Lerdou-Udoy 

So my initial thoughts favored your theory number 2.  That being said, until your post I had no idea Finland had ever exported any.

After your gauntlet throw I have a couple of new theories.... But nothing I'd bet $50 on.

Theory 1.

There's something strange going on with the magwell:

Could this be a Suomi modified to take MP40 magazines?  But that was only supposedly used by Finnish SS and German troops in Norway.  So how would it get to Italy?

Theory 2.

She was supposedly operating in the Aosta area...which is very close to Switzerland.  Possibly it's one of the Swiss licensed weapons. The Swiss weapons supposedly used the "coffin" magazines and it kind of looks like she has a coffin magazine in.

Although you are doing an awful job of staying neutral if your weapons are trickling into the hands of Partisans.

What are your conclusions?

• Brave warrior...

Facts first. The Hague Convention of 1907 allowed a neutral country to export arms and ammunition to any belligerent (art.7) and, if possible, to ensure equal treatment between the beligerents (art.9).

Switzerland, under direct menace of Axis, delivered nearly 80% of her arms and ammunition to Germany and Italy (vs 10% to the Allies). From 1943, British pressure began to reverse the trend, very, very slowly. Throughout the War, the vast majority of weapons made in Switzerland ended up in the hands of German and Italian soldiers. One of the faces of the sad - but true - reality of the Swiss neutrality !

Now, let's look at the element that really differentiates the Finnish KP31 from its Swiss counterpart, called MP 43/44 : the rear sight (la hausse, in French). The Finnish one is mobile, notched and adjustable from 100 to 500m. The Swiss one is a simplified and very characteristic triangular model of rear sight, electable for 100 or 200m : that is the version we can see clearly in the hands of Mrs Prosperina Vallet.

That said : purchase, smuggling or war booty... nothing can tell us.

Ciao.

• @Pierre Lerdou-Udoy 

Nicely caught on the rear sight.  

The simplified sight on the Swiss version is eminently practical... But slightly surprising from a Nation of famed marksmen.

Your comment on Swiss neutrality reminded me of this classic meme:

• My Suomi:

Semi-auto only, sadly.  

The Suomi is crazy heavy.  Like made out of depleted Uranium heavy.  Ms. Valley has my respect for trecking through the Alps carrying one of these if for nothing else.  

The quick barrel change feature works well and is a unique feature for submachinegun.

I have a bunch of the stick mags and one drum.  I don't have a "coffin" mag as those are really rare and pretty expensive these days.

The helmet at the right is a Hungarian one I'm rather proud of.  It has the characteristics loop welded on the back.  Also, I believe the original WW2 paint.  

Hungarian helmets were widely (perhaps the predominant helmet) used by the Finnish.  

• Wonderful little collection.

I really regret that in France, it is almost impossible to have such weapons, except to have them neutralized. We clearly see the "Suomi" adjustable rear-sight on this KP31 : a very beautiful and "virile" weapon.

Concerning the helmet, I agree with you : the position of the rivets excludes a German model, and that's not a Spanish z-42 or a Finnish M40. Hungarian M38 ? I saw the original color more "olive-shaded" (brown-grey, gris-brun olivâtre), matching the brown of the Magyar uniforms.

If it's the original color, we have indeed a Hungarian model used by someone with a (field-)grey uniform : maybe a Finnish soldier, or a Russian auxiliary of the Heer. Is there an internal marking ? In any case, very interesting piece...

What is the rifle ?

• @Pierre Lerdou-Udoy 

The rifle is a Sako built Finnish M39.

This is a good read on the type:

https://www.guns.com/news/review/the-most-deadly-mosin-in-the-world-the-m39

The stupid "I am 18" button you have to click shows it isn't all roses with our gun laws either.

• Pics of M38 Hungarian helmet:

I believe this is nice example of a Finnish service, WW2 used helmet.  I believe that's the Hungarian factory paint on the inside, and Finnish WW2 paint on the outside.  I believe the liner is original from WW2.  A lot of the ex-Finnish Hungarian M38 helmets being sold these days were drilled and fitted with a different Finnish liner post war.

• Thank you very much for the identification of the rifle, as for the very good and clear article.

The marking "DR" is a very good new. It says that the helmet shell is authentic : manufactured during the war in Hungary, for the Finnish army, in Györ (factory : Magyar Vagon és Gépyàr). The helmets in use among the Magyar army are marked GY (for this factory). The rear braket/loop is original (rivets are different, smaller, on the Màvag's helmets).

The liner is Ok for me. Old natural leather : I suggest you to rehydrate it a few (with natural neatsfoot oil - huile de pied de boeuf - or seal oil - huile de phoque). Natural leather remains something alive. It's great for it to last, soldier !

On the other hand, I note a reparation on the rear riveting. That's not an original Axis type flat rivet, but a button head screw (une vis à tête ronde) with an hexagonal washer (une rondelle hexagonale).

I only know of two kinds of helmets that have them : British Brodies/Tin hats (MKI, sommital rivet) and British helmets for paratroopers. German paratrooper helmets also have them, of another shape (to avoid tearing). Maybe it's a war repair, with a nut taken from a Norwegian Brodie helmet. The Britts also equipped the White Russians around Murmansk during the RCW (there were MK1 in Finnish and Soviet depots).

Very nice helmet.

• @Pierre Lerdou-Udoy 

You're absolutely right about the rear rivet.  

It's possible that's not the original liner....   But at least there's no new drill holes.  

I need to do more research on the chinstrap as well.

• @JTam Nice collection Tam , with our gun laws all my weapons Colt 45 and an MI had to be decomisioned, gone now,but I`ll get round to sorting out the photos to internet.  It seemed such a crime to have a M1911 colt re-bored.

• @Geoff Maybury 

Some local museums have welded/bored the weapons on display.  Shame to see deliberate destruction of history.  

• Some more thoughts on what would be awesome to see in the female French Resistance box:

https://wargamesatlantic.com/community/xenforum/topic/81618/500-point-bolt-action-armies-from-a-single-wga-box

• To JTam : A small question, a little personal perhaps... Where does your interest in Finnish militaria come from ?

• @Pierre Lerdou-Udoy 

No problem Brother.  

I have a deep interest in all of WW2.  But the two areas I focus on most is the Eastern Front and the Pacific theater.  

And one can't have interest in the Eastern Front, without developing an interest in the Finnish participation.  

Additionally, to some extent my collection of WW2 arms has been driven by availability and budget.  A few years back a large number of Suomi parts kits (weapons with their receivers cut) were imported into the U.S. and a U.S. gun manufacturer decided to produce a semi-auto version for sale. This resulted in an affordable, available option.  (Normally with a weapons part kit you need to find a receiver or have the old one rewelded, usually you have to find a barrel, and then you have to find a smith to build it.  This represents a decent outlay of money.)  This was too good a thing to pass up.  In the U.S. firearms market you buy when something is available or you probably cry later (or least pay three times as much.)

• Thank you, "adiskidea", you answered my question. Very interesting.

As a former reenactor (Roman Republic and Aquitanian-Basque Proto-History), I like to know what motivates each of the History enthusiasts. And as one of the sons of a small and courageous people, I have a special affection for the exemplary pride of the Finns.

We can go back to the women in the French Resistance now !

• STLs released:

Satisfying:

(Nitpick: I wish one body had the trench coat closed).

Hopefully this still makes it over to the plastic side one-day.

• @JTam You and me both brother, "WE" need these , and that delightfull female with the lighter, she begs for conversions. This is a real prize of a set for WW2, wierd war, and "Survivalist Conversions", what a dream set.

• FEB 2023 issue of Wargames Illustrated:

• Female combatants' bodies could be also useful for other conversions, consider that from early '30s till late '50s female dresses didn't changed much, at least for lower/working class. So these could be used for SCW or alternate wars, such as an hypothetical eastern European revolt against the reds (think Hungary '56 on steroids).

• @Alessio De Carolis 

They certainly would work for the Hungarian Uprising.  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Corvin_Passage

https://hungarytoday.hu/young-hungarian-woman-already-dead-photo-became-symbol-revolution-79727/

She's famous of course. 

I didn't realize how young she was.  Dragged along by a boyfriend.  Got herself killed.  Sad.  

The Hungarian Uprising was the first (public at least) operational use of the AK by Soviet troops if I remember correctly.

https://www.wearethemighty.com/mighty-history/sixty-years-ago-the-world-got-its-first-look-at-an-ak-47/#:~:text=The%20AK%2D47%2C%20arguably%20the,during%20the%201956%20Hungarian%20Revolution.

• Sad story indeed, about the AKs this one was probabilly a captured one, surely the hungarian army didn't had yet them.

The russians could destroy the insurgents because the world was distracted by the Suez expedition, and the USA didn't supported them, afraid of an atomic response from the reds. Luckily seems that now the western powers are more united against the Bear (well, except some guys in Berlin).

• The bike reminds me how annoying it is BA doesn't let partisans take bikes.