Friday Sneak Peek

• 30/09/22 Sneak Peak?

Nice female? 
    Soe? 'Allo 'Allo?

Strange looking Thompson though? The 30 round magazine wasn't common, Uber rare in Europe, and it's in the gun backwards? The line of holes run up the back edge of the magazine, not the front. 

• @Sean Tighe I do have to admit "female" followed by "?" does seem to be a fitting discription that rather genric face (I have not watched 'Allo'Allo, so if it comes from that I give in).

I think they are adding the Thompson for pulp games (didn't know its magazine was backwards.😆),  I would perfer seeing some melee weapons for that instead (particularly left handed ones to pair with handguns).

• Sneak peak for reference:

I have to assume this is the long awaited female French Resistance set.  

@Sean Tighe 

Your observations on the Tommy gun seem seem dead on.  I'm not sure I would have bothered with the circle indents at all... they will be microscopic in 28mm.  

The proportions on the MP40 are a little wonky.

If the pictures female figure is wearing ankle socks and Mary Sues I'm going to be pumped:

https://wargamesatlantic.com/community/xenforum/topic/79852/female-french-resistance-allo-allo

• @JTamThe MP40 might be a field modified/junk gun with an MP40 base, also we are talking Third Reich tech they had the standardization of a kindergarten art class projects at times.😆

• @Brian Van De Walker 

Or the proportions of this incredibly common and standardized smg could be wonky.  Occam's razor and all that.

Now a we had to thicken up the barrel in relation to the body to make it table top survivable is a decent argument.

• You would think they'd have gotten that sorted with the male Partisan and German sentry kits...

• MAS 1873?  Appropriate if so.....

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAS_1873_revolver

• I'm wondering if the tommy gun is in there because of this 1944 photo:

X-post: Tommy gun for the win! Female Resistance Fighter, France, 1944 :  r/PUBATTLEGROUNDS

Note that it DOES have the longer magazine. After D-Day the resistance weren't so reliant on airdropped or captured weapons, so it makes sense they'd have started using standard issue Allied ones.

Edit: Further thought... the Thompson was in the process of being replaced by the M3 through 1944 and 1945, although the latter did not full replace the former during the war. It's not impossible that the Tommy Gun was becoming surplus for some units. As far as ammo goes... anyone operating anywhere near a US unit would likely have a near-infinite supply of .45 ACP rounds. Especially if they were a pretty French woman, quartermaster ;)

Nonetheless, the sprue mix should be more MP40s and Stens. One Thompson arm does not go astray for me, though.

• @Mark Dewis

The posted picture is a nice find. 

During/after the liberation I wonder how many French women and men came crawling out of the woodwork to cosplay as Resistance fighters?  

In terms of equipment there are similarities with the Philipino resistance.  In the little photographed years of occupation they had to be using a mishmash of M1903s, Arisakas, and anything else they could lay hands on.  Post American landing the photographs multiply and the guerilla fighters become well equiped with Garands and M1 Carbines.  The M1 Carbine in particular seems an excellent choice.  There had to be a systematic weapons transfer in both invasions.  A doubtless interesting story.

• May be worth noting that (civilian) Thompsons were a feature of the Irish wars; in the last few months of the war of independence, and then in the following civil war. 

Both French Partisan kits should be very useful for those, and other interwar conflicts. Chinese warlords used them a bit as well, I believe. The extended stick magazines were not produced until 1941, though, so these should all be drum or 20 round stick ones. Of course, converting a 30 round stick to a 20 round stick is a simple matter of one knife cut.

• [quote]Here's an easy one![/quote]

Female partisans

Look nice. Little heavy on SMGs though. Wonder if one of the bodies will have pants for vareity.

• These look nice. They should mix well with frostgrave to make some nice spell casters.

• @Nanashi Anon I hope so, and some overalls, for the Interwar, Spanish civil work period. 

• The one with the Zippo will make a very easy modern coversion, change gun, miliput shorts "Bingo".

• Keep in mind these are likely still test ones. As when they showed us early Ooh Rah pictures where they all had the same head.

On the pants matter, the French did have a thing about girls and wearing trousers. The 1799 law banning women from wearing men's clothing wasn't technically repealed until 2013, and Marlene Dietrich was arrested for it in 1933. 

On the other hand, France had a pre-existing manpower shortage from her WW1 casualties and did mobilise women into the workforce from 1939. So the law was pretty much unenforced; overalls are possible. And I don't know how the Vichy or Germans saw it. Trousers *might* have been suspicious, so the French Resistance might have stuck to skirts to keep as low a profile as they could.

• @Mark Dewis good to know. I had no idea. For my Spanish Militia idea pants or overalls would be nice, but not a essential. 

• It would almost be a thesis subject in contemporary History : "Women, Resistance and Pants : war and image of virility"...

In the western movements of Resistance (France, Belgium, Holland - Norway ? Danmark ?), very few women were authorised (by men) to fight openly with weapons. They were usually considered as good and useful dispatchers, messengers or spies, but absolutely not as direct fighters. Wearing pants - and weapons - was generally not admitted in the eyes of most men, and women too, at that time, especially in right-wing or conservative movements of Resistance. Women were generally - and legally in France, up to 1965 - considered as "minors" (like children), not equal, but under the responsability of a man.

It was very different in the left-wing movements of Resistance, mainly Communist ones, in Italy, Poland, Soviet Union or Yougoslavia. Men considered women as sisters of arms, real and competent she-warriors. They often had a free choice to wear what they wanted to fight and die. Equal rights - facing the enemy, facing the death - were a reality in Communist movements during the war.

For the Spanish "milicianas", overalls and pants were common in the Anarchist and Communist movements. Rape was part of Franco's terror tactics : it was better for women to cover the tracks (ie. not to be easily identified as preys).