Fantasy Species and Themes

• Spent some time looking at the current options that we have for plastics with Fantasy sets, and wondering what else we could potentially see? 

Right now, we have:

Greekish Skeletons

Landsknecht Ogres,

Goblins without "theme"

Lizardmen without "theme"

Halflings with a Medieval Western Europe feel. 

Options we could see:

Dwarves - options could include the traditional Norse or Scottish style Dwarf, or perhaps more an Ottoman style Dwarf. I'd also be interested in a French Naval Dwarf design

Elves: Given there are multiple strains of elves in many universes, we can look at "lawful", "evil" or "Forest" elves. Evil Elves would be interesting with a compilation with an animal, such as perhaps a Scorpion (I know spiders are traditional), or something more indigenous American (North Central or South). For Forest, I'd go with SE Asian Jungle Elves. 

Orcs: I do love the recent lawful looking Orcs, but I'd also be very interested in a Rus/Slavic/Balkan style Orc army.

Centaurs: Not something we see a lot of, but there are a lot of interesting options we could go with. Norse ones, with large muscular upper bodies and the lower body of a Norwegian Fjord. 

What other species would make for interesting additions to the "world" of Wargames Atlantic Fantasy Plastics? 

• As I said in another post,  Dark Elves would be welcome, a separate sprue for witches and warriors, generally Drows are a matriarchal society, so there will be a certain prevalence of female bodies.

Other kind of elves could be oriental/sea's  ones, with a Bali like look, or eastern asiatic one. Dwarves are very inflactionated by other brands, but perhaps some characters' packs could be done in STL files.

• Don't discount the Myminifactory Classic Fantasy taces!

I really love the Myminifactory Tribes take on Classic Fantasy Orcs. They look really iconic in an old school fantasy kind of way. I'm surprised they arent plastic yet to be honest. The Ork Skeletons being the same style is a great detail. The more comical Pirate Orks are fun, but I like the Classic take.

Dwarves may be my least favorite fantasy race, but the stout Classic Fantasy Dwarves may be the dwarfiest dwarves I've ever seen. They're so dwaf even There skeletons have beards!

I've professed my love for the Kobolds here and a few other places, but I think they are a great set, with some really great equipment and I love the canine and draconic head options.

As for new races? I'd love a Sami inspired gnome set, or a love lovecraftian merfolk set.

• @Alessio De Carolis @Miyuso Actually with elves, considering plastic model scales, whats in plastic already and typical lore for them, they should just do all female body sets for the Dark Elves and maybe say they keep the men folk in the kitchen, then do the reverse with the "lawful good" elves if they bother with them (in which case maybe make it out that they are actually both part of the same "battle of the sexes" fantasy culture where they only mate once a century and fight each other the rest of the time, ie give a real reason why elves are on the decline😆).

Personally though I think the South East Asian Forest elves would be better then either of those.

Perhaps unpopular opinion but I really hope they avoid doing the Norse dwarves in chainmail if they do the shorties in plastic (LOTR has enough dwarve suppliers, KoW gun totting Dwarves are a bigger need). Too be honest I think the Skeleton Dwarves would be a better plastic set at this point than the straight Norse dwarf STLs.  Gun armed Ottomen dwarfs though would be awesome,  something like armored dwarves with armor like the goblins have but shiny pre-looted new and with guns would be cool too. .

Personally, of the 3 orc STL sets WA has I think the lawful orcs are the set of orcs that should get plastic first. There are plenty of "classic" Angus McBride orcs and "close enough to orc size" goblins in plastic already  and Pirates seem a little too sea locked (plus they look like they need more work). But Lawful orcs have been an ask for by fantasy gamers of all stripes for decades now, its past time to do some in HIPs.

Now with those big fish out of the way, for just wargaming there is also Egyptian themed undead and/or Beastmen both of which have a market and could work for Bronze Age fantasy, isekai pulp Industral Fantasy, and VSF/Pulp as well as normal "middle ages Warhammer style" fantasy.   

We likely already have Werewolves on the way in plastic.

Kolbolds would be cool to see in plastic, same deal with trents, fish people, and golems.

If done in plastic, I am not sure if gnomes should have a theme beyond their normal stereotype given there are not a lot of them in minature outside metal and 3D print land.

There is also a lot of non-european fantasy critters like oni, naga, etc.   that probably would work as a plastic set at this point.

• @Brian Van De Walker The Far Eastern's mythologies are so big and various that alone could cover a whole range, if you look only at, f.e., Philipphines' ones there are so many creatures that Norse mythos pale at confront. Ancient India's or Indonesia's are full of ancient epics, with wars and heroes more incredible.

• @Alessio De Carolis To be fair, the Norse mythos (particularly if we are just talking the old pagan part by itself and not the later Christian era critters and stories) is actually pretty bare compared to any of the Asian mythologies. It’s what happens when one compares to a relatively young though likely rehashed mythology of an almost tribal culture that was struggling all the time to the mythologies of cultures that  had fairly advanced civilizations backing them that sometimes spanned back to the eras before Europeans were even  figuring out bronze (India, China, etc.) . (From what I have heard, in the general timeline the old Viking faith my "proud ancestors" followed  was actually younger than Christianity, and snow kills🤣)

Right now the East Asian cultures whose myths would likely be the most suitable for plastic, or at least heavy STL representation,  are Japan (Because among other reasons the Clash of Katanas Yokai Companion got funded) and for WA China (due to the Warring States Vox populi and Boxer set).