Fantasy Species and Themes

• Spent some time looking at the current options that we have for plastics with Fantasy sets, and wondering what else we could potentially see? 

Right now, we have:

Greekish Skeletons

Landsknecht Ogres,

Goblins without "theme"

Lizardmen without "theme"

Halflings with a Medieval Western Europe feel. 

Options we could see:

Dwarves - options could include the traditional Norse or Scottish style Dwarf, or perhaps more an Ottoman style Dwarf. I'd also be interested in a French Naval Dwarf design

Elves: Given there are multiple strains of elves in many universes, we can look at "lawful", "evil" or "Forest" elves. Evil Elves would be interesting with a compilation with an animal, such as perhaps a Scorpion (I know spiders are traditional), or something more indigenous American (North Central or South). For Forest, I'd go with SE Asian Jungle Elves. 

Orcs: I do love the recent lawful looking Orcs, but I'd also be very interested in a Rus/Slavic/Balkan style Orc army.

Centaurs: Not something we see a lot of, but there are a lot of interesting options we could go with. Norse ones, with large muscular upper bodies and the lower body of a Norwegian Fjord. 

What other species would make for interesting additions to the "world" of Wargames Atlantic Fantasy Plastics? 

• As I said in another post,  Dark Elves would be welcome, a separate sprue for witches and warriors, generally Drows are a matriarchal society, so there will be a certain prevalence of female bodies.

Other kind of elves could be oriental/sea's  ones, with a Bali like look, or eastern asiatic one. Dwarves are very inflactionated by other brands, but perhaps some characters' packs could be done in STL files.

• Don't discount the Myminifactory Classic Fantasy taces!

I really love the Myminifactory Tribes take on Classic Fantasy Orcs. They look really iconic in an old school fantasy kind of way. I'm surprised they arent plastic yet to be honest. The Ork Skeletons being the same style is a great detail. The more comical Pirate Orks are fun, but I like the Classic take.

Dwarves may be my least favorite fantasy race, but the stout Classic Fantasy Dwarves may be the dwarfiest dwarves I've ever seen. They're so dwaf even There skeletons have beards!

I've professed my love for the Kobolds here and a few other places, but I think they are a great set, with some really great equipment and I love the canine and draconic head options.

As for new races? I'd love a Sami inspired gnome set, or a love lovecraftian merfolk set.

• @Alessio De Carolis @Miyuso Actually with elves, considering plastic model scales, whats in plastic already and typical lore for them, they should just do all female body sets for the Dark Elves and maybe say they keep the men folk in the kitchen, then do the reverse with the "lawful good" elves if they bother with them (in which case maybe make it out that they are actually both part of the same "battle of the sexes" fantasy culture where they only mate once a century and fight each other the rest of the time, ie give a real reason why elves are on the decline😆).

Personally though I think the South East Asian Forest elves would be better then either of those.

Perhaps unpopular opinion but I really hope they avoid doing the Norse dwarves in chainmail if they do the shorties in plastic (LOTR has enough dwarve suppliers, KoW gun totting Dwarves are a bigger need). Too be honest I think the Skeleton Dwarves would be a better plastic set at this point than the straight Norse dwarf STLs.  Gun armed Ottomen dwarfs though would be awesome,  something like armored dwarves with armor like the goblins have but shiny pre-looted new and with guns would be cool too. .

Personally, of the 3 orc STL sets WA has I think the lawful orcs are the set of orcs that should get plastic first. There are plenty of "classic" Angus McBride orcs and "close enough to orc size" goblins in plastic already  and Pirates seem a little too sea locked (plus they look like they need more work). But Lawful orcs have been an ask for by fantasy gamers of all stripes for decades now, its past time to do some in HIPs.

Now with those big fish out of the way, for just wargaming there is also Egyptian themed undead and/or Beastmen both of which have a market and could work for Bronze Age fantasy, isekai pulp Industral Fantasy, and VSF/Pulp as well as normal "middle ages Warhammer style" fantasy.   

We likely already have Werewolves on the way in plastic.

Kolbolds would be cool to see in plastic, same deal with trents, fish people, and golems.

If done in plastic, I am not sure if gnomes should have a theme beyond their normal stereotype given there are not a lot of them in minature outside metal and 3D print land.

There is also a lot of non-european fantasy critters like oni, naga, etc.   that probably would work as a plastic set at this point.

• @Brian Van De Walker The Far Eastern's mythologies are so big and various that alone could cover a whole range, if you look only at, f.e., Philipphines' ones there are so many creatures that Norse mythos pale at confront. Ancient India's or Indonesia's are full of ancient epics, with wars and heroes more incredible.

• @Alessio De Carolis To be fair, the Norse mythos (particularly if we are just talking the old pagan part by itself and not the later Christian era critters and stories) is actually pretty bare compared to any of the Asian mythologies. It’s what happens when one compares to a relatively young though likely rehashed mythology of an almost tribal culture that was struggling all the time to the mythologies of cultures that  had fairly advanced civilizations backing them that sometimes spanned back to the eras before most Europeans were even  figuring out bronze (India, China, etc.) . (From what I have heard, in the general timeline the old Viking faith my "proud ancestors" followed  was actually younger than Christianity, and snow kills🤣)

Right now the East Asian cultures whose myths would likely be the most suitable for plastic, or at least heavy STL representation,  are Japan (Because among other reasons the Clash of Katanas Yokai Companion got funded) and for WA China (due to the Warring States Vox populi and Boxer set).

• @Alessio De Carolis honestly there are so many creatures in Norse mythology and in Europe in general that the public dosn't know about, that you can't make a claim that the Philipphines have more. The only reason you can think the Philipphines have more is because their stuff gets recorded on the internet today, while all the European stuff is still held inside books written by folklorist over hundred years ago.

My favorite example is female dwarfs. There is a lot of media in the English speaking world that jokes about how female dwarfs would look like, do they have beards etc. But the reality is that there are a lot of Folklore tales in Germany that talk about female dwarfs. They are described as small beautiful women with extrem long hair on their head, which can easily be thrice the length of their entire body. A common trope in female dwarf stories is that they have problems giving birth and need a midwife, the other common female dwarf story is usually about a farmers wifes that wonders why her husband has a change in personality, only to find out that their husband has an affair with a female dwarf. Later in the story the female dwarf get's into problems with their really long hair and dealing with that problem in various ways allow the farmers wife to get their husband back.

• @Bobby The Basher Sorry to Essay you on this but nah, I know about those old myths (thank you Mom, you Norwegian culture and folklore lover😘), and I have looked around for them, they are on the internet as much or more than Philippines myths are, and no I am pretty sure Alessio De Carolis is right on his statement.

Pretty much everything in English about the Norse myths and later middle ages Scandi folklore is on the net, there are even some things on the  various fly by night monster and myth wikis that I don’t think the 19th century folklorists translated into English which could be fanfiction or scandis adding stuff that was missed.

Likewise I know just enough about the Philippines, theirs myths and geography to say no the Philippines clearly would have more crazy folklore critters than my Viking and post Viking ancestors could collectively think up despite their over hyped later day pagan culture era and being snowed in a good chunk of the year 😆(also as a side note, frankly the Christian era scandi critters are cooler if you ask me😎).

This makes sense given with the Philippines we are not talking one culture or a couple of "cut and paste with mild edits" cultures that are bundled together like you find in the isolated regions of Northern Europe. I mean there are at least 2 dramatically different dominant cultures in Philippines that evolved on a main ocean trade route between India, China, the Khmer empire, Malaysia and the Islamic world, so of course they have a lot different folkloric monsters without adding in the Spanish rule era influences which is what is mostly talked about. I mean just from what little I have read they have two different monsters that fight over who gets to devour the sun each time there is an eclipse, gator coffins, a weird cyclops/orc race, several horror film candidate undead monsters, multiple fishemen races, multiple different plant fairies some of whom have air barges and horse headed men. Plus most of those seemed to come into existence as myths after the Spanish conquest, before that about half of them where  polytheist animist faith that tends to breed fantasy monsters,  the other half where  superstous  radical Islamic tribes  that seemed have been superstous radical islamists well before  the Spanish showed up.😆

Add to this that they are an island cultures and that most large island cultures seem to be heavily superstitious and come up with all sorts fantastic creatures often with castes (Yokai, Fae, etc.) that range from friendly children story creatures  to Lovecraftian style horror monsters, and I get the general feeling the English speaking world only has just touched the surface of Filipino myth and folklore. 

There is clear biodiversity among Filipino folklore monsters, where as in Scandinavia even the old gods and frostgiants could just be trolls 😆(okay that was joke, but seriously I have had a number of  Norse critter first introduced as a types of troll🤣, heck when my mom first told me about huldra she suggested they were merely an exotic variant of female trolls, same deal with the whirlpool monsters).        

Also as you have pointed out Dwarfs are actually from Christian Era Germany same as the Elves, etc. which means they may have little to nothing to do with the Norse dvergr as a concept critter despite supposed linguistic heritage and clear similarities. While they probably do come from that, the dwarfs are hardly the only critter attributed to the early medieval Scandinavians that may not be from Scandinavia.  Elves are in the same boat, and honestly there is far less evidence for them being Norse in original as concept (like the critter from the old Norse myths sited as being early elves bares no relation or resemblance at all to them in modern sense, not in the LOTR way,  not even in the “little people” version of elves way, they are just wandering sprite lights😆). Plus given how isolated most of Scandinavia is from the rest Europe, I wouldn't count anything out of Germany as being part of the Norse culture as opposed to being Hunnic or Goth culture unless there is a clear parallel.

• From the Germanic Mythology commonly, we actual have very few and authentic Sources, which are pre-christian; Western Germanic or Norse/Northern Germanic alike.

For the Continental (Western) Germanic Mythology we only have the Merseburger Zaubersprüche (Merseburg Spells) and the Sächsisches Taufgelöbnis (Old Saxon Baptismal Vow) of which the first one is the only real source of any Pagan practices, which includes a healing spell. while the second only lists some Saxon Gods - Wodan (ng Odin), Donar (ng Thor) and Saxnot (unknown Deity). Other Stuff is from Roman sources, or from the Chruch. And other few bits from the migrated Saxons, Angles and Jutes to Britain.

The only mentioned "authentic" Western Germanic "creatures" are the "Idisi" from Roman Sources, which are female spirits, releated to destiny and death, which some assosiate to the Valkyrja from Norse Germanic Mythology.

• @Steffen Seitter Perhaps, however most of the classic D&D style fantasy races (or at least a good chunk of the ones that were known about before  the AD&D Monster Manual😆)  have origin myths that very clearly and directly came out of Christian era Bavaria for sure without much debate. Its actually when one starts to try and make it out they have so-called Norse, Celtic or admitedly whatever Euro pagan origins that things tend to become a strech (except Greek and Roman cause they actually wrote stuff down🤣). They simply don't have pagan origins or if they do its so macro evolved into Bavarian Black Forest critters in most cases that it may as well be unrelated.

• The oldest depiction on classic "Dwarfs" is in the middle Period Medieval Poem Nibelungenlied (Song of the Nibelungs) which is from christian Germany. In the NIbelungen, Dwarfs are depicted as small People, living in Caves. They have Beards and are masters of the "Art os smithing".

They are possible from german folklore, which could be surviced in peoples believes after christinisation.

Another depiction are the Gnomes - which are in German also Zwerge (Dwarfs). They are "invented" by paracelsus in the 16th Century.

• @Steffen Seitter If that is truely thier first mention on record, I doubt dwarfs (as we know them anyway) have any real relation to the old Norse myths at all then.

I know that in Norway they have had Nisse (gnomes) and there is  debate when they showed up, though honestly it feels like over half the critters in Europe are just shorties with magic.

• I'm certainly no expert, but what I've seen of most of the standard-issue fantasy fare - including dwarves and elves - is that they all seem likely to have started their folkloric careers as the stuff of campfire ghost stories:  wild, eerie, terrifying, irrational, and unreasonable things that wander in from out of the desolate places in the darkness of night, caverns, or tombs to haunt the living with incomprehensible rules, bizarre pranks, and the threat of dragging us away into the unknown to never return, or worse, to return altered in some unspeakable way.

The differences between different "races" of these ancient ghosts and night-things seems like it matters less and less the further back in time you go, with role-playing and wargames in the 20th century ramping up the supposed academic differences to far more importance than the old storytellers ever would have given them, at least, that's how it seems to me.  A lot of the distinctions up to the 20th century seem to parallel the development of dictionaries and formalized spellings and such, and developments in science and technology:  it seems like we just sort of hit a phase in our culture alongside or because of the Age of Reason where we really needed to pin things down into orderly categories with clear standards and definitions.

I think that by the Victorian era, we wanted to forget all those old ghost stories, tame the wild men and undead, cast away the old stories as backwards superstition, counter-productive to a new industrial age... those fairy tales should no longer be tales of bloody horror and the eldritch unknown, but instead the tuff of children's stories, or better yet, the stories that the poor and uneducated tell their children, but hopefully do not bring into your home as servants to distract your children from a far more reasonable and civilizd upbringing.  The transformation into friendlier, cuter, more organized and civilized fairies and dwarves and elves probably started before the Victorian era, but that, I think, is where the transformation rolled on in earnest, until it's hard for us to imagine those ghastly, blood-soaked, malevolent old fairies today as anything but their cute Tinkerbell counterparts!  "Grimms' Fairy Tales" barely hints at the ghoulish, pre-Christian horror story origins of the fantasy creaures we know well today - no offense to Tolkien or to Gygax and others following in his footsteps, but they too have done their part to civilize those old dwarves and elves and fairies into something altogether more pleasant and genteel.

Think of what it must have looked like:  people have inhabited Europe for tens or hundreds of thousands of years, relative newcomers to lands that had been inhabited and abandoned many times already would stumble upon old graves and tombs - sometimes quite elaborate old tombs and buildings - while plowing up fields or digging peat up out of bogs or exploring old caves and ruins, and would unearth skeletons, sometimes eerily preserved old bodies, strangely stunted and withered down to dwarfish stature by poor nutrition and hard times, or by the methods of preservation, sometimes buried with the treasures they kept in mortal life to bring with them into the afterlife... it's tempting to loot those graves, but surely unwise, because who knows what terrible curses such weirdly preserved dead might bring to bear upon you from out of their deathly slumber in haunted halls beneath the mountains and hills?

The famous Bog Man and Otzi the Ice Man:  the old dwarves and elves and fairy folk....

This template could as easily have created undead draugr and vampires as it could have dwarves or elves, or goblins and kobolds, and I have no doubt it did exactly that. It doesn't take much to make the connection to the "ancient Indian burial ground" haunted house cliche, to the most obvious plast to point one's finger when the hardships of northern European winters in dangerous, primeval forests and moors and fields fall hard upon those who have disturbed the lands where the Old Ones once walked alive by day, and now fitfully sleep, proud and irritable and terrible in their troubled graves:  you've no doubt failed to leave the proper sacrifices to appease the dwarves and elves, fairies and goblins, and living dead, what else could explain why your crops have failed so miserably in spite of your best efforts, why your children wandered off into the forests to gather food like they did seemingly safely a thousand times before but this time never returned, why horrible sicknesses have plagued you ever since you broke into that spooky burial mound and ran off with the old pagan gold buried there alongside those tiny,withered, broken old bodies?  You've wandered into their dark lands, taken their cursed treasures, disturbed their horrifying bodies and alien graves, broken their inhuman and unreasonable rules, what else could you expect to happen?

Who knows what such peoples might have been capable of:  they built strange, and perhaps huge and awe-inspiring but long-dead civilizations where you and your family struggle to survive now.  They likely knew great and terrible magic, dwelt alongside save monsters of the forests and the night and called them brothers and ancestors, they are protean and faceless and likely shifted their forms into those very monsters, changed their sizes at will into giants or turned invisible or disguised themselves as familiar people to walk among you spreading mischief, or worse....  They are not merely walking corpses or dwarves or goblins, they are trolls and ogres, witches and satyrs, werewolves, gods, the devil itself.

And maybe sometimes closer to recent memory, you could still encounter some of the living remnants of those old civilizations far out on the wildest frontiers of Europe, living desperately close to the edge of oblivion, nearer to nature than more recent newcomers to these lands - wild men, savages, perhaps cannibals, inbred and agnry at the trespassers upon their dwindling territories, and no doubt shorter, hairier, and strange-looking by comparison to those "more human" races who arrived later.  No doubt many stories about these "dwarves" more closely resembled something from the Sawney Beane legend - like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre or The Hills Have Eyes or at least the raiders from those Mad Max movies - than they would something out of Tolkien!  Much gets made about alien abduction stories replacing old fairy tales in the modern era and rightly so, but Hollywood's cannibal hillbilly clan trope is surely the modern man's fairy or dwarf stories....

Closer to the original topic, I guess it all depends on how you - or, more accurately, Wargames Atlantic - would define "Classic Fantasy" - is this "classic" period the early 21st century?  The 1960s, 1970s and 1980s?  The 1920s and 1930s and 1940s?  The 19th century?  Or something far older and darker still, pre-Christian and perhaps pre-Pagan as we imagine it today, the stuff of Stone Age Europe's horror stories?

Personally, I'm drawn more towards the more primeval horror story stuff, from before everything got codified and defined and civilized... or, at least, the pulp era of the early 20th century, which seems to have enjoyed a post-Victorian revival of the spirit of those old stories (see Robert E. Howard's "Worms of the Earth" or H.P. Lovecraft's "The Nameless City" for a couple wonderfully ghoulish examples!)  It's probably closer to "Dark Elf and Dwerger" territory than the more usual fantasy fare we tend to get from the gaming industry, but not quite the same.

But, I have a feeling that Wargames Atlantic aims a little closer to the '60s, '70s, and '80s, and from that pool, you'll probably be looking at things like the psyechelic era's revived interest in Tolkien, alongside early D&D, Ray Harryhausen's stop-motion sword-and-sandal movies (Jason and the Argonauts, Clash of the Titans, the Sinbad movies), and perhaps a dash of Schwarzenegger's Conan the Barbarian, maybe a dash of '70s Hammer or older Universal Gothic monsters (Dracula, the Wolfman, Frankenstein, etc. in variations suitable for wargaming?), and maybe just a dash of those old technicolour Edgar Rice Burroughs, H.G. Wells and Jules Verne movies about lost worlds and journes to the center of the Earth....

With that in mind, I suspect we're most likely to see more Tolkien-inspired northern European stuff, some Harryhausen-inspired Greco-Roman mythology stuff (with perhaps just a chance of Sinbad movie inspired Arabian Nights stuff?), and a smattering of early D&D, Hollow Earth, and Conan inspired stuff depending on what they think the customers would be into. 

H.G. Wells' Morlocks with fantasy and sci-fi bits would be an instant buy for me, if there were enough of a market for them for WA to want to produce a set of them!

Or, some Arabic or Persian Ghouls and evil Djinn:

I think pretty standard-issue Tolkien-style Dwarves and Elves are already on WA's to-do list:  these have either been released as Digital Atlantic 3D prints or teased in the email newsletters... they look fine to me, if just a little bit "safe" (I can't really complain if WA goes where the market is!)

I'm pretty sure WA used to stock some fair Greco-Roman Mythology Centaur-and-Faun kits, though these were, I think, hired by someone else, and I guess disappeared when the licensing agreement ran its course (or whatever).  This seemed to me like a more adventurous fantasy set than WA had been doing up to that point (I don't think they'd gone far past their Greco-Roman skeletons and Tolkienesque Halflings at that point), but I can't really say I loved the Centaur-and-Faun theme myself.  I got a couple boxes anyway when I could, and they seemed to be fair enough for what they were, they probalby would have gone well as part of a standard Wood Elf-themed tabletop army, or perhaps a Warhammer Chaos/beastman kind of thing.

• @Brian Van De Walker You didn't understand my post. While the record of Norse and Mythology is sparese indeed, the Folklore of Christian Europe makes more than up for it and stands on the same level as the Folklore of the Philippines, which isn't much older itself. Also just because we only have records of something from the Medieval period, dosn't mean that those things aren't older. That is my point.  Another good example is your story of how much of scandinavian folklore get's reduced to just "oh it's just a troll". You can do the same with Philippines folklore and reduce their myriad of critters to just "undead", "vampire", "witches" or "ghost". The moment you go beyond "oh it's just a troll" and read every single story in it's own context the folklore of scandinavia gets much more diverse.

As for your claim that all of English and Scandinavian Folklore is on the net, I highly doubt it, because it is certainly not the case for German Folklore. I own a CD from 2004, which was part of a Digital Libary project. This CD claims to contain over 24.000 Fairytales, Sagas, Legends and Legends from German speaking Europe from the 18th and 19th century. And a Bibliography of over 20.000 titles concerning the research of those stories. This CD of German Folklore despite it's claims is not complete, authors and researchers are missing. Yet if I search the content of this CD on the internet, you will find almost nothing. At most you find an entry on wikipedia about the Folklorist and what books he wrote, but nothing from the contents of said books. I can walk into a German book store and buy a book about local folklore for tourist, yet if you search the stories on the internet they are not existing. You cannot find the majority of German Folklore on the Internet. It's impossible to form a judgemnet on it with just the internet at your hand.

• @Yronimos Whateley Nah, I would say most of the common fairy tale critters used in games come from the early to High Middle Ages (ie the Christian era) at the earliest at least as far as the clearly northern European ones go, even your "old campfire horror monster fae myths” versions since I know thats where the undead draugr came from (vampires on the other hand come from everywhere and likely have more to do with taxes😆). I doubt much if anything from the pagan era myths survived or evolved into the modern outside of maybe some of what has been written down by monks.

I mean look at Japan, they are still making Yokai, and most of the newbies are not based on anything from the classic myths of Japan, Asia or even those cultures outside of Asia, I don’t think we should apply macro evolution to fairytale creatures origins without a clear connection. 

Most of the older Northern Europagans just didn't leave a whole lot of mythology behind and frankly I get the feeling our “noble savage European” ancestors were too busy between surviving the harsher winters of the ancient era and trying sell neighbors down river to Rome, etc. before they got sold down river by said neighbors themselves to have a real complex folklore. (Most of the "pre-christian this that" sparks heavily of neopagan academic wish fulfillment😆, heck the Norse mythos didn’t even exist till well after Christianity formed in Rome and is likely to have been influenced by it).

@Bobby The Basher... I was not talking German folklore when I was saying Norse  (I don't count the Germans as Norse and neither should you), it was strictly with regards to the Scandinavian folklore and if we are just talking the critters and not every exact story variation then no, if it’s existence has been translated into English back in 19th century and its Scandinavian, its on the net🙄, even the Christian Era Scandinavian stuff. The info might not be properly cited, accredited, or have every detail that existed on the critter but it’s there somewhere regardless and it should not be surprisingly either since Scandinavian culture in general is overhyped. (I mean even the 3 “ra”s show up on the net with pop culture references and that’s about as obscure as Scandinavian folklore gets😆).

There really just isn't a whole lot of them and the fact you said "Christian Europe more than makes up for it and stands on the same level as the Folklore of the Philippines" and then had to divide Philippines folklore creatures into four basic categories to my one for Scandinavia without adding mermen, plant fairies, and  magic birds which are just as present in Filipino myths already tells me its more complex than the Norse since the Scandies  class everything as trolls practically (there are a few outliers that they don't class that way and some that should not be but are, however neither case is that common) and "Christian Europe" is a whole continent not just Scandinavia 😆 (If the mythology of the whole continent is needed to out strip the folklore of the Philippians which is just one archipelago of the South East Asian sea, then not only am I and @Alessio De Carolis more right than 1+1=2 but we Europeans are just not that creative and kinda of boring folkstory makers🤣).

Anyway Scandinavian folklore simply put is tied to one dominate culture with a traditionally small population in an out of the way place, meanwhile Filipino folklore is tied to multiple distinct cultures on a major oceanic trade route between two of the world’s highest population density areas traditionally.  This is a no brainer of course the Philippines has a larger folkloric bestiary than Scandinavia and I for one doubt that’s all on the internet simply because the internet is firmly in the hands of the English speaking world and interest in Filipino folklore is fairly recent within the Anglo sphere (read “English speakers only found out the Philippines actually had folklore back in the 2000’s”😆).

On the other hand Norse culture and folklore has been puffed up for centuries in the English speaking world, never really lost popularity, and the culture it comes from has spoken English as a second language on a national level well before the net. So with that in mind I would wager that if there are any mythic scandie beasts missing from the net's overall beastiery they are probably lost and forgotten even by the original language (anything on them in any language might not even exist in hard copy anymore).   

As to your issue with not finding all German myths translated into English online,  I can buy that not all being on the internet for a couple of reasons, though I doubt depth and variety is the main reason for that problem (not to say there isn’t depth, just that wouldn’t be the main issue in this case). My guess is that in addition to typical publication estate reasons it is at least partly due to the same reason you would likely have trouble finding all the Russian and Persian myths online🙄.

• @Yronimos Whateley Oh, and you can get all the sets RGD does from thier own store, including the centaurs which work great for D&D characters though  I recommend the Satyers more for general monsters.