"Ballas of the Hussar" Movie Review

• In honor of the forthcoming WGA Russian Napoleonics I give you a review of the Soviet cinema classic "Hussar Ballad."

It is 1812 and Napoleon marches deep into Russia.  It is a time for all brave Russian men to turn forth and defend the Motherland.  All brave Russian men and one woman.

Alexandra Azarova is young Russian noble woman.

Donning the uniform of a Hussar and disguising herself as a man she rides towards the sound of the guns.  She finds a wounded Officer and is tasked by him to complete his mission of carrying a message to the Army.  Dodging French heavy cavalry she delivers the message to the Army's ranking Officer and wins a place on the staff.  Her military career has begun. 

What follows?

Firearms:

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Hussar_Ballad_%28Gusarskaya_ballada%29

(IMFDB is a great website, great for hours of browsing).

Artillery:

Frozen Frenchmen:

Sword fights:

Spaniards in French Service:

Cavalry:

Duels:

Marshal Kutuzov:

And of course a Yentil style romance:

It's a fun movie.  The uniforms and equipment capture some of the feel of the time.  True Grognards will probably not be satisfied.  There is some decent action.  But at its heart it's a romantic comedy.  There are a three or so songs sung in the movie, but I wouldn't call it a musical, at least not in the American sense.  (Although "Hussar Ballad" did vaguely remind me of "Calamity Jane.")

In conclusion it's a lighthearted fun movie that should appeal to anyone with an interest in the Napoleonic era.  4 of 5 stars.

Notes:

Russian names have all kinds of shortened variants that sound nothing like the original.  Similar to how William becomes Bill, or Richard becomes Dick.  

The protoganist Alexandra uses the alternate form of her name Shura which conveniently can be male or female.  

The movie is a classic.  Most Russians and residents of former Soviet countries will at least be familiar with this movie if not having seen it.  Several lines have become catch phrases.  

There is an entire genre of Hussar Poruchik Rzhevsky (Shura's friend/comrade/enemy/love interest) jokes.  Most extremely "bawdy."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_jokes#Poruchik_Rzhevsky

To paraphrase one:  Hussar Rzhevsky is getting dressed in the morning after spending a night with a young lady. 

"Sweetheart" she says, "Aren't you forgetting the money?" 

Hussar Rzhevsky exclaims "A Hussar never takes money!"

Available to watch with English subtitles here:

https://youtu.be/vDtxO70AQZ4

I have a bunch of Russian WW2 movie recommendations here:

https://wargamesatlantic.com/community/xenforum/topic/49886/suggestions-for-new-soviet-kits

Review of the WW1 era "Battalion" movie here:

https://wargamesatlantic.com/community/xenforum/topic/49177/battalion-2015-movie-review

• You seem quite the expert on Russian cinema mate. I have not seen this movie but it looks like my kind of thing.

• @Grumpy Gnome 

Not an expert by any means.  But I suppose I've seen my share of Russian language films.  

I hope you'll give it a go.  

• "Hussar Ballad" is incredibly loosely based on the real "Cavalry Maiden" Nadezhda Durova.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nadezhda_Durova

• Oh good find! Im actually a huge fan of stories like this. In the manga "Gunka no baltzar" they have a female character pretending to be male who is also in the cavalry, I wonder if this was a homage to this story or just a anime trop being used.

• @Cole Lassell 

This character?

• @JTam Yep!

• I love the Russian jokes.  Someday I'll have to watch the source material for all the Stierlitz jokes.

• @Cole Lassell

To be honest, I would say it is a general fiction trope based somewhat on history and myth, I know the US also had some girls crossdressing to fight during the revolution, and I believe at least one of them was either cavalry or a dragoon, and it happened elsewhere in recorded history. Likewise in China there is of course the story of Mulan which is debated from time to time about whether it’s real or not

. I believe that manga author did do some research, and it’s pretty clear his setting is what could best be called a “strangereal” world based on mid to late  19th century Europe in particular Prussia and  Bavaria, and I would not be all that surprised if there was some real world “heroine of the nation” from that time in the German states that the character was based on.  

• If anyone ever watches this, who is your favorite character?

Mine is the long suffering servant / ex-Soldier.

I didn't count them, but I strongly suspect he quietly stacked more French bodies than either of the protagonists.  

(Here executing a Parthian shot.)

• My Gringo 40s order came in.

Got my Shura conversion base:

Will need to swap out her headgear for a shorter shako.

• Plenty of histoical examples of ladies cross dressing to fight, but as many from comic fiction. Crossdressing is a staple of Shakespeare, as well as Opera. And operas based on Shakespeare 😉

I'll definitely be following this one up. Good stuff!

• @Mark Dewis 

I hope you get chance to give it a try.  It's light hearted fun.

• I read in a book about ACW, that one of the reasons Army's medical corps ordered a "total" medical exam on new recruits was to avoid that some females enlisted as males (some cases really happened). Naturally they'd it for the regular army, but with the plethora of militias, locals and state's, a lot of them didn't bother to control every "man" in their organic. Another historical character, sadly don't remember the name, was a young female austro-italian aristocrat,when there was the first Napoleon's italian campaign, she enrolled herself in her brother's place and fought with imperial cavalry, until was wounded, and naturally was found. She survived the war, and ended married with children.