Considering Getting Into 3D Resin Printing...Any Thoughts from 3D Printer Users?

• I have been diving headlong into the hobby, to the point where I am seriously considering investing in some kit for a 3D resin printer I've been keeping an eye on (the AnyCubic Photon Mono 4K). I've recently backed the amazing Kickstarter by Solgood Creations that is selling a huge collection of STLs to support their humanitarian efforts in Kharkiv, Ukraine. (The Kickstarter recently ended, but if anyone who hasn't heard of it yet is interested, you can still support them directly through MyMiniFactory!) I want to start collecting STLs and put them to use.

This would be a large investment, so I'm going to talk to my partner about it beforehand. I want his input to see if he thinks I'm diving in too fast, or if he just thinks it wouldn't be a good idea for our current situation. I've brought up with him before that I haven't been comfortable thinking of a resin 3D printer or working with resin for the following reasons (along with reasons I'm considering):

• We're not in safe environment to work with resin, for the most part. We live in an apartment that is poorly-ventilated for this kind of work. I didn't want my partner to have to worry about wearing a respirator casually while I work with resin. However, in worrying about this, I neglected the fact that we have a balcony! I can get a respirator for myself and do any work that would produce dust out there.
    • The devices would be annoying to move. We don't plan on staying in our apartment forever. My partner works for a company situated in another state, and our plan is to move back there when we can so he can start going back into the office. I'm worried about the device being broken up or the calibration being thrown off in the move. However, it might be that we just have to keep the original packaging. I might just be worrying too much. Nor are we sure when the pandemic will be clear enough for us to comfortably move.
    • The cost, of course. All of the items needed would total about the same amount I've invested into the hobby itself so far, on their own. However, there is a nice sale going on right now, and coming with that the FOMO of not getting a good price for materials. Nor are we 100% sure when our move will be.
    • Edit: After a little more research, the biggest disadvantage of resin printing for me is the huge quantity of waste product. I honestly don't like that there's nothing you can do to recycle the supports post-printing. I've heard of some people grinding them up and making them into a resin filler, and most other suggestions I've seen involve making them function as some kind of terrain, breaking it up into rocks or using them as little sticks or pipes. I don't think I even have a however about this, it's the biggest turnoff for resin printing for me. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

How would I use the 3D printer? I see these use cases for it (and the disadvantages for each case):

• Personal use, of course! I want to be able to make nice, custom models, and maybe try my own hand at 3D sculpting. I would be able to make mundane things like bases without having to worry about buying anything but materials. This would also help with my Gunpla work, being able to design and print lost parts or nice details. However, we're in an apartment, already pushing the amount of room we have, and we wouldn't be able to use any of the stuff for games (other than co-op games) until it's safe to meet regularly again.
    • Sale of 3D-printed figures. My thought is that I'd support some people on MMF at the "business" tier and use my spare time to print and sell 3D figures. Frankly, I'm looking for a change in career, and this might be the start of a fun time doing hobby-related business, at least temporarily. However, we're in an apartment, without easy access to a mailing place. We might be able to ship out things directly from our apartment, but I'd have to ask if our package concierge has pickupOur apartment doesn't have a set service for mailing packages, and even if I were able to arrange pickup directly through a shipping company there's additional costs from needing things like a printer, label maker, etc. And I'm just not sure the Photon Mono 4K has the output needed for it to be profitable considering cost of materials and additional operating costs.

Anyone who's dived into the world of 3D printing, any thoughts and advice on this? Would this be a sound investment, or am I jumping in to something that would only cause heartache given our current situation? While I won't dive in if my partner is against the idea, I want to get more advice too, and any thoughts are appreciated. Thank you all so much for your help and support!

• @lauregami  You should talk to McDougall, his website is here.

That said I would veiw it as more of hobby thing unless I was going the  sculpting new stuff on patron route or a very active Ebay and Etsy seller.

• @lauregami 

I have been diving headlong into the hobby, to the point where I am seriously considering investing in some kit for a 3D resin printer I've been keeping an eye on (the AnyCubic Photon Mono 4K) Decent choice. Go for a smaller printer first, if anything.

I've recently backed the amazing Kickstarter by Solgood Creations that is selling a huge collection of STLs to support their humanitarian efforts in Kharkiv, Ukraine. (The Kickstarter recently ended, but if anyone who hasn't heard of it yet is interested, you can still support them directly through MyMiniFactory!) I want to start collecting STLs and put them to use.

This would be a large investment, so I'm going to talk to my partner about it beforehand.

I'm going to stop you here for a minute. How large of an investment do you think 3D printing is? To lay plain, a decent set up that is ventilated to the outside through a window, with even just one small printer you are looking at $1000 USD, and thats conservative. Printer, enclosure, ducting for the enclosure, 4 inch ducting fan, fasteners, good quality powerstrip with a backup in case of power outage. Any materials you would need to construct or otherwise make a way to vent to the outside (preference would be built into the structure, but I've done window blocks before.) Not counting good PPE, (gloves, masks, disposable microfiber cloths) and other things you would need. There's also optional things you can do to make printing easier, like tempature gauges and potentially heating units.

I want his input to see if he thinks I'm diving in too fast, or if he just thinks it wouldn't be a good idea for our current situation. I've brought up with him before that I haven't been comfortable thinking of a resin 3D printer or working with resin for the following reasons (along with reasons I'm considering):

• We're not in safe environment to work with resin, for the most part. We live in an apartment that is poorly-ventilated for this kind of work. I didn't want my partner to have to worry about wearing a respirator casually while I work with resin. However, in worrying about this, I neglected the fact that we have a balcony! I can get a respirator for myself and do any work that would produce dust out there.

Dust is not a main health concern. The main health concern comes from the liquid resin, and specifically the VOC's (Volatile organic compounds) emitted when UV light solidifies that resin. AKA: when the printer is printing, you've got VOCS. This is why masks, and preferably carbon filter respirators, are important. This is also why you do not want to have a 3D printer running in your living space, and why it is best to enclose and vent it to the outside.

• The devices would be annoying to move. We don't plan on staying in our apartment forever. My partner works for a company situated in another state, and our plan is to move back there when we can so he can start going back into the office. I'm worried about the device being broken up or the calibration being thrown off in the move. However, it might be that we just have to keep the original packaging. I might just be worrying too much. Nor are we sure when the pandemic will be clear enough for us to comfortably move.

Have a log book for each machine. Original order number and wherever it was purchased from, the printer ID number on the back of the machine itself, etc. Generally speaking, retaining the original packaging is a good idea. printers are not terrible to move and relocate, but it all takes time.

• The cost, of course. All of the items needed would total about the same amount I've invested into the hobby itself so far, on their own. However, there is a nice sale going on right now, and coming with that the FOMO of not getting a good price for materials. Nor are we 100% sure when our move will be.

See above comments. if you have further questions regarding costs feel free to ask.

• Edit: After a little more research, the biggest disadvantage of resin printing for me is the huge quantity of waste product. I honestly don't like that there's nothing you can do to recycle the supports post-printing. I've heard of some people grinding them up and making them into a resin filler, and most other suggestions I've seen involve making them function as some kind of terrain, breaking it up into rocks or using them as little sticks or pipes. I don't think I even have a however about this, it's the biggest turnoff for resin printing for me. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Absolutely not worth it. Supports go in a waste bin, then in the sun in the backyard (or on the balcony in your case i would guess) to UV cure (No sense running waste through the UV curing station) and then can be disposed according to your local hazardous waste guidelines. (Because the liquid resin is hazardous, always check where you are allowed to dispose of waste, even if it is fully cured.)

The amount of resin supports use is really negligible unless you are printing giants, at least in use-over-time.

How would I use the 3D printer? I see these use cases for it (and the disadvantages for each case):

• Personal use, of course! I want to be able to make nice, custom models, and maybe try my own hand at 3D sculpting. I would be able to make mundane things like bases without having to worry about buying anything but materials. This would also help with my Gunpla work, being able to design and print lost parts or nice details. However, we're in an apartment, already pushing the amount of room we have, and we wouldn't be able to use any of the stuff for games (other than co-op games) until it's safe to meet regularly again.

If you are really wantinng to do this safely, I would wait until you are out of the apartment then. You are going to need room for at least one 6 foot table, not to mention a 2 foot by 4 foot (at least) enclosure.

• Sale of 3D-printed figures. My thought is that I'd support some people on MMF at the "business" tier and use my spare time to print and sell 3D figures. Frankly, I'm looking for a change in career, and this might be the start of a fun time doing hobby-related business, at least temporarily. However, we're in an apartment, without easy access to a mailing place. We might be able to ship out things directly from our apartment, but I'd have to ask if our package concierge has pickupOur apartment doesn't have a set service for mailing packages, and even if I were able to arrange pickup directly through a shipping company there's additional costs from needing things like a printer, label maker, etc. And I'm just not sure the Photon Mono 4K has the output needed for it to be profitable considering cost of materials and additional operating costs.

One printer, especially a mono, will not be profitable for business purposes. You have to think about part failures, issues with supports causing FEP damage and needing replacment. Suddenly your one printer is down for a week while you wait for parts and your production queue is at a standstill. which will just be extra stress.

Anyone who's dived into the world of 3D printing, any thoughts and advice on this? Would this be a sound investment, or am I jumping in to something that would only cause heartache given our current situation? While I won't dive in if my partner is against the idea, I want to get more advice too, and any thoughts are appreciated. Thank you all so much for your help and support!

• @Lord Marcus Thank you so much for your advice and expertise! This is exactly what I needed - more information about the hobby and the material itself. It's good to know that I was overestimating how much trouble some things would be, like the amount of waste produced and the transportation of the devices. And while there are some financial considerations I failed to consider (namely for enclosure of the whole setup, venting, etc.) the big problem is the VOCs, which is something I didn't fully understand about the material. The fact that these create a hazard in a living space during the curing process unfortunately makes this whole thing a no-go, at least while we're in an apartment.

So, I can safely shelf this idea until a time where it will be easier for all of the reasons you listed. I'm still excited to dive into the world of having affordable, custom 3D prints done and collecting STL files - but I'll leave the actual printing to the professionals who have the means to print safely, at least until a time that I am possibly able to become one of those professionals. I'll hold on to your advice and keep it in mind for a future investment. And I'd definitely start at the personal/hobby level before investing in multiple printers and becoming a seller.

Thank you again for all your help!

• I got one a little while ago, It's been fun to tinker with. I'm still bad at it, I don't get much time to use it.

So far I think this is my favourite. I got it from Janovich's Patreon, he makes them for his Vraks stuff. I think it suits Les Grognards well. He is also going to making an APC next month.

• Non-resin printers might be a better option for a balcony setup. Fillament ones are smelly and hot, but not as hazardous as resin.