Goblin Samurai

• Is anyone backing Fireforges Samurai? kickstarter? The Hobgoblin thread has me thinking about trying some Goblin (hobgoblin?) samurai conversions. I photo shopped some WA goblin heads on the Ashigaru...

• Nice idea.

I have a pile of the old WGF Samurai kits. Those would likely suit this concept as well.

For that matter, Japanese armour with a monster head is your basic Oni.

• @Mark Dewis Hmmm. I have 3 sprues of the old wargames factory samurai, and 4 sprues of the Fireforge mongols... as well as some wa goblin heads and some GW hobgrotz heads. If I get a chance after work tomorrow maybe I will see what I can Frankenstein together. :)

• I would just love to see what comes out of these efforts!

• So... :) I had some time before work this morning so put together 2 quick and dirty... 

I had forgottent how much I hate the Wargames Factory Samurai. They are fiddly and the poses arent great. I especially hate the arm options. 

Anyway... The male is straight WF samurai with a WA goblin head and WA goblin right spear arm.

The female 🤡 Is WF samurai bottom and arms. a WA goblin head, and the torso and hair bit from Mailfaux female multi-part set. 

The female looks ridiculous, but between the 2 I like her more than the male... Now I am thinking of adding her to my pathfinder game. 

• I had some of the WGA Samurai... I also found them fiddly and often a bit stiff looking, like mannequins. So they went back onto eBay. Hence why I am curious to see how the Fireforge KS does. But I do think those heads work. 

• @Grumpy Gnome Yeah, I dont think I will bother with the WF Samurai anymore. Though some of their head options (the helmet crests) may be of use with the Fireforge Samurai. So I wont toss them yet. I will see how the mongols look, but have been told that after work I am cutting the lawn... And I know better than to argue with 98lbs of Indonesian fury... :) so, maybe tomorrow. 

• I agree with the consesus that the WGF samurai are fiddly, but there are useful bits. Definitely keeping an eye on Fireforge, though.

My best efforts with WGF Japanese were heavily converted warrior monks and bandits, using not a few Perry Anasar Warrior parts (bald heads in particular). The WGF Numidians came in handy for peasants, too.

• @Mark Dewis the wargames factory numidians were a great set. The bodies were generic enough to be useful in a ton of things. If Wargames Atlantic made a generic body sprue like that, I would buy a ton. 

• @William Redford I like those conversions, and think they have potential - but I'm not gonna lie, it's the female torso on the samurai body that really gets my attention. It works way better to my eyes then it ought, and has me thinking I should pick up the Mailfaux kit fir conversions - I hadnt really considered it before, as I figured the line was too tall for what I wanted.

• @H M yeah the malifaux kit are giants. But the torsos and heads are good and useful in conversions. 

• Frostgrave is currently the best source for female 28mm parts, IMHO. Soldiers II, Wizards II and they're coming up on female Barbarians. It would not surprise me if a distaff version of the Knights kit gets done at some point (although ladies in full torso armour look like the same as blokes. But, well, Fantasy...)

But... damn those Malifeaux multipart kits do look pretty useful. and because the line uses exaggerated length legs, the torsos aren't a bad size and shape at all!

Also... sometimes you do want a taller than normal character, both in Science Fiction or Fantasy. Likely useful for Superheros too. Hmm...

• @Mark Dewis In terms of sheer amounf of dedicated parts, yes - but for me the quality of the female soldiers kit is somewhat lacking, and the models need alot of TLC to get them looking good. the Female Wizards are great though, and the Female Barbarians look to be of the same quality as the lady wizards - which is great.

However... we then run into the issue that they are monopose. WHich isn't bad in and of itseld, except there are so fewer female plastic kits in 28mm that it's hard to find good kits to kitbash with.

Some of the GW elf stuff works (Idoneth Deepkin, and the old forest elf kits are both not bad - once I have some kit bashes finished I'll show them off- but not perfect either.)

• *And that's to say nothing of if you want lady figures more suited to warmer environs than the frozen city!

• @H M The Idoneth deepkin female bodies do look like females. Which is good. The Witch elves/  sisters of slaughter are good too. As are the female torsos on the Shadow elves/ sisters of... some elfy name... Avalorn? But with all GW are super expensive for what you get. The plastic Daemonettes are good too. And even though almost have just one breast... (the other side is kind of a breast) are very feminine. I actually like them quite a bit.

Shieldwolf's shield maidens are good... but a bit on the tall side and I dont like the heads  (too many wind swept hair) and i dont like the thin arms or lack of weapon options. I Still have like 30 sprues from the kickstarter a couple years back. They are supposed to relaunch the araby girls and Valkyries at some point, but no word as to when, as of yet. 

The Shield wolf paladins I dont like at all. They are just as tall as the shield maidens but bulkier so seem larger. The heads are a bit better but I dont like the weapon options. I did not kickstart these... actually the kickstarter was cancelled and they were sold from shieldwolf directly. I ended up buying a box from CHAOSORC on ebay... but the set was expensive and NOT worth it.

The Mantic Basailean (sp) sisters are pretty bad. And not really sprue plastic as they are the restic material. They CAN be made to look alright but in general look like guys dressed as women. I still have like 40 bodies left of these and still use them some times in conversions. The only heads I liked were the hooded ones and you did not get many of those. 

I do like Starggrave crew 2, and WA Cannon fodder 2 and have used a torso and a head of each in fantasy conversions. Nothing amazing but serviceable. 

I dont have the female gunslingers yet.

I have both Soldiers 2 and wizards 2. And will definitley get Barbarians 2 when released. Which reminds me that I do want another box of soldiers 2 but the Amazon/ebay prices have been kind of high lately on those. 

Fireforge's peasant rabble has some females. They arent bad, but a bit frumpy, in dresses and there is only 2 bodies so not a lot of variety. Still, not bad. I had 1 sprue of the dwarves that had females (2 bodies) and they were not bad either.

Malifaux... yeah they are even taller than Shieldwolf. I have mostly cut torsos from this kit. The heads are good but small, The arms/hands are thin and not a lot of spare/loose equipment on the sprue. And you only get 1 sprue (maybe 2?) in the box. So expensive for what you get.

The old Wargames Facgtory female survivors. Was actually a good set. The heads arent great. But the bodies are pretty good. Especially the plump body, that I have used in making some female commanders for my northmen. The Female zombies are good too in theory, but while I have a box I dont think I have used any as of yet.

The old Wargames factory amazons... The bodies were not horrible. (and I still have like 100 as I did the 5 box deal right before Wargames factory and the Tony Reidy china thing happened. The heads... there is like 1 helmet I liked. You only got a couple non hemeted heads and they were not great. They are on the smaller/thinner side but not overly so. But They dont have a lot of pose variety and do look really stiff, or like @Grumpy Gnome said... manequins. 

• @William Redford According to the comments (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/shieldwolf/war-is-coming-reinforcements/comments) Shieldwolf is relaunching in September, so it might be that those female kits finally start appearing in the wild.

• @GreenScorpion September... Hmm. I will have to save some additional moneys then as another kickstarter I am interested in is launching in September. (Dark Maenad) those will be SIOCAST though. 

• @GreenScorpion @William Redford 

September is going to be a good month.  Definitely getting some of those Desert Girls and some Dark Maenad miniatures as well.  

• I was a bit disappointed with the lady gunslingers, especially the heads. But they aren't that expensive, are standard 28mm scale and do have a lot of useful parts. Head swaps from other kits go a good way to improving them and they mix and match with the male gunslinger kit quite well.

Some bonnets would have been nice. Too many fedoras.