A Grimdark Galactic Republic Project

• Hey folks,

some of you may have seen my imperial guard kitbash with Grognards and Iron Core Stormtroopers. One reason for the use of Stormtrooper heads for the Grognards is that I needed the bodies for another project....

Years ago, If I recall correctly 2015, I saw an awesome conversion of the Dreamforge Stormtroopers with the bendy Clonetrooper Heads from WotC. Ever since I saw this, this idea stuck in my head, and now is the time to push it.

As I wait for 3D printed clone helmets, I decided that these boys would need to ride into battle in style. While "fortunate son" roared from the speakers, I came up with this:

The canopy will be constructed with two of these lego pieces

The frontal ball turrets will be made out of this wooden spheres

Thats the progress of today. I will keep you guys updated.

• @Andreas Mayrhofer it looks promissing.

• Like the Hind elements!

• @Andreas Mayrhofer 

Quite a masterwork in the making Andreas mixing Rep Gunship with Hind elements. Since I am into papercraft stuff myself, I am going to wait anxiously for your next post. 👍

I came across some Republic Gunship STL files some years back since most of Hasbro models pricetag was well over 100€...  

• @JTam my first consideration was to buy a Hind scale model. But the pricetag for a bigger scale one..... Maybe I just put only one frontal ball turret in the ship to mimic the nose of the Hind 

• @Steven StGeorges sadly the prices for Hasbro Gunships, even for old broken ones on eBay, are completely bollocks.

• @Andreas Mayrhofer Great project mate and you are off to a brilliant start!

I think Agis used some Dreamforge Figures to make Clone Troopers as well as Heavy Stormtroopers.

https://www.agisn.de/html/star_wars.html

• @Grumpy Gnome yes, Indeed Agis made them. I also plan on using the Valkir Heavy Troopers as Republic Commandos.

• Slowly but steady... Sneaked in some more hobbytime into the schedule

• @Andreas Mayrhofer 

Wunderbar 😀

But did you look for 3D printed Gunship on etsy.de for instance?

• @Andreas Mayrhofer it just lokks better and better. 

• @Steven StGeorges Not really. But to be honest I really enjoy scratchbuilding things. I don't own any bought or printed terrain piece. All boards, Terrain, buildings etc. I use to play are homemade. So I thought, why not give building a vehicle a try

• @Andreas Mayrhofer 

That is looking great.  Really impressive.

Reference:

Well....

• Today I greebled and primed the Gunship.

And as Doorgunners are mandatory I tinkered a bit...

The gun is from the Grognards Kit and the mounting is a paperclip piece. The arms are leftovers from the old Dreamforge upgrade Kit

I also put a metal piece Under the bottom for a magnetic flight stand

• Outstanding!

What is greebled?

• @JTam I don't know if its a real word but I put greeblies on, so I greebled it 😉

• @Andreas Mayrhofer 

Ah, surface details maybe...  But greeblies/greebled is certainly funner.  

• @JTam found this one Wikipedia:

"A greeble (/ˈɡriːbliː/ GREE-blee), or "nurnies", is a part harvested from plastic modeling kits to be applied to an original model as a detail element. The practice of using parts in this manner is called "kitbashing".[1]

The term "greeblies" was first used by effects artists at Industrial Light & Magic in the 1970s to refer to small details added to models."

• @Andreas Mayrhofer 

Gute Arbeit herr Mayrhofer.

About 3D printed stuff, I was talking about some elements that could be useful but since I am more into homemade stuff myself, I do enjoy such a old-school way of thing 👍

• Just added some color after work

• Been back on the desk today and redid the Red on the gunship. Now lets give this thing some washes and weather it down

• Looking good.  Appreciate the update.

• Gundark 6-4 is ready for take off

• As the Gunship has no landing gear I figured it would be heavily scratched and chipped on its belly

The round plates on the underside of the wings are metal plates so I can outfit it with magnetised weapon pods later

• Here with the still headless clones

The two Doorgunners will be added as soon as the heads arrive

And they should look something like this when added

• You sir have a serious talent for scratch building, thats one hell of a gun ship, you can be well proud, you made a machine of card into a true gunship.

• @Geoff Maybury thanks mate, I really appreciate your comment. I have a lot experience in scratchbuilding buildings and terrain, but this is my first venture into the world of vehicles. Buildings and terrain are a lot more forgiving 

• @Andreas Mayrhofer Well  terain may be your thing, but you`ve nailed that gunship, looking forward to seeing more. I like all modeling, but also my favorite is scenery and Dinosinos

• @Geoff Maybury dinosaurus are always cool

• @Andreas Mayrhofer 

The 99% finished product looks amazing.  Really impressive build.

Excited to see the gunner installed when they are done.

Are you doing a flight stand?

Are you adding any numbers, further markings, or nose art?

• Also, check out the crazy base for the dropship in this thread:

https://wargamesatlantic.com/community/xenforum/topic/68338/panzerjager-a-call-to-arms

• @JTam thank you. I consider a Gundark nose art. Something Like this:

I'm going to make a Flight stand with a round magnet on top. I built in a metal plate in the bottom for this purpose, so I can swivel it and remove it for landing. But I havent decided how the Base will look exactly

• The Heads arrived today 🤘

Here's the first Clone

I think the Phase I helmets work really good with the Eisenkern bodies

• Yeah all of this looks awesome. 

• @Andreas Mayrhofer 

Silly question: is the cockpit window coming from some toy? 

Cannot wait for your upcoming posts 🧐

• @Steven StGeorges No silly question at all. It's made from two Lego canopy pieces

• This is really a great job, now all you need is find some 3D printed not-jedi for commanding your troops! 👍

P.s. in 1/48 scale there are lot of weapons' pods/rocket launchers for your gunship, expecially the russian ones have a sci-fi feeling.

• A little WIP from the Workbench

• I finally added the Doorgunners to the gunship

• And Here a few pictures with a squad of nearly finished Clones

Now the real question is: should I stay with the Phase I theme and only give the NCO's and officers color markings or give them all unit markings like the Phase II version? Similar to the 212th or 501st? 

• Now lets make some Rocket pods in a Hydra-70 APKWS kinda Style

• @Andreas Mayrhofer 

Impressive as usual Andreas ... cannot wait for more 😁

• @Andreas Mayrhofer 

The weathering on the gunship looks really good.

Really like the picture of the gunship set down with the troops deploying out of the side door.

• @Andreas Mayrhofer What ever style of magnetic base you make,how about 2/3. One just of the floor, "Huey Jump Out", one nape of the earth,weapon fire , and lastly  if safe to do so a High flight stand for observation. Just a thought I made 3 stand heights for my Teradons.

I love it and the missile additions and storm Troopers its agreat package for any table. 

• @Geoff Maybury I Like the idea of different height levels for the flight stand. I opted for only one magmetic base with a spherical magnet to allow some movement/swivel. When landed I simply put the Gunship in its belly without a base 

• I tried to make my own base ready Mix

• @Andreas Mayrhofer As someone who prefers the Prequels to the Originals (let's not talk about the Sequels 😒), I 110% approve of this project.

A great idea to use the Eisenkern models as Clone Troopers, with great-looking 3D-printed heads, and of course the original Eisenkern Stormtrooper helmets would work well for the troops of the Empire. Not to mention the excellent scratch-built LAAT/i Gunship!

Which rules do you intend to use these brave soldiers of the Republic in? I assume not Legion as otherwise you'd have bought the FFG models with all their tree-killing cards and tokens?

Regarding your question as to command markings, you've gone for Phase 1 Troopers on Geonosis, so might as well use the proper Phase 1 markings - none for standard Troopers, a green stripe all around the armour for Sergeants, a blue one for Lieutenants, a red one for Captains and a gold one for Commanders.

Keep up the good work, soldier! For the Republic!

• @Caratacus I didn't think of a particular ruleset. But OPR or some sci fi Version of Spectre or Bolt Action comes to mind

• @Andreas Mayrhofer if you're looking at skirmish scale, Stargrave works well. They even have decent rules for Psychic Warrior types and pleanty of special talents to make any other Clone Wars personalities stand out.

• @Mark Dewis Stargrave does allow for some Jedi like characters but it does also lack vehicles rules though. 

I have not played the newly released Xenos Rampant but I have heard a lot of people like that. It seems to be pretty figure agnostic and has vehicle rules.

https://www.goonhammer.com/xenos-rampant-the-goonhammer-review/

• 1 / 2