Polish Winged Hussars

• Three hundred and thirty nine years ago today, the largest cavalry charge in history broke the back of Turkish forces besieging a starving Vienna.  At the fore of the charge was Polish Winged Hussars.  Leading the relief force and riding with the Winged Hussars was King John III Sobieski who proclaimed after the stupendous victory "Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" (We came, we saw, God conquered.)  Never again would the Ottoman Turks seriously threaten Western Europe. 

On 12 September 1683, at the Battle of Vienna the Polish Winged Lancers rode into history becoming one of the most iconic troop types of all time.  

The possibility of a Polish Winged Hussar kit has been brought up in numerous threads and by numerous people.  But I thought the anniversary of the Battle of Vienna was a fine time to create a consolidated Winged Lancer thread.  

Here one can voice support (or not) and share knowledge on this renowned troop type.

The "Golden Age" of the Winged Hussars began in 1577 at the Battle of Lubiszew.  Fighting Swedish, Russian, and Ottoman forces and often triumphing against fearsome odds, some of their other great victories were Kircholm 1605, Klushino 1610, Khotyn 1673, and the seminal Battle of Vienna 1683.  

Obviously Winged Hussar armor evolved over their existence. 

I would argue for a kit centered on 1683 when their armor reached peak ballerness.  

Their most distinctive feature and the source of their name was the wings worn on the back.  These wood bows were fitted with raptor feathers.  

The pelts of big cats like leopards were worn.  Supposedly bear, wolf, and lynx pelts were reserved for veterans.  

The Winged Hussar's most famous weapon was rightfully the lance.  However they also carried and employed hammers, sabers, koncerz (stabbing, armor penetrating sword) and pistols.  

(Koncerz)

(Saber)

• The Polish Winged Hussar is an iconic troop type.  Their distinctive look, sheer pageantry, and remarkable combat successes made them a legend.

https://www.wearethemighty.com/popular/winged-hussars-greatest-figthers/

They represent the pride of an entire Nation.

Patch of the Polish 1st Armored who fought across Northwest Europen in WW2:

Polish maidens:

They even have sweet memes:

Remember this?:

They have their own metal song:

https://youtu.be/CxlRJsQ7p2k

• A Polish Winged Hussar kit could pull double duty for fantasy. 

Warhammer Fantasy Battle Winged Lancers:

Gryphon Legion:

Particularly with Old World Fantasy Battle Redux on the horizon.  

Kislev and her troops were the very FIRST thing previewed:

A Polish Winged Hussar kit could include a female torso or two for female lancers:

• Some extra bits in the kit and it might be able to work on Death Fields/Sci Fi too.

Maybe some mechanized horse head bits too.

• Battle of Khotyn (1673)

Khotyn.

Khotyn is located in what in now the Ukraine.  I was fortunate enough to visit Khotyn Fortress a few years ago:

• I agree, it would probably be a big selling kit, not really for me, but I can see it. 

• @Vitor Soares 

Same here, always loved the look of that particular unit... could be quite a good addition to any scifi/fantasy or historical collection.

• Yeah this was part of one of the polls. I voted for them... I would get a couple boxes. In the Midgard campaign settimg, Zobeck has winged lancers. I would definitely have a place for these.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/WargamesAtlanticLegion/posts/877159192763233/

Here is a post I made on the Wargames Atlantic Legion Facebook page on May 15, 2020, suggesting Winged Hussars. I had forgotten about this. :)

• winged lancers or winged hussars, doesnt matter, just get the lads with wings.

• a good mix a plate, scale, chain or segmented mail would be good, as well as helmets.

• @Davy Jones 

And a couple of those baller fur hats:

• the more lightly armoured pancerni would also double as kossack and tatar noble cavalry.

• So if the kit included Death Fields sci fi parts like  cyborg horse heads and explosive lance tips.... And if the "lobster" thigh armor was part of the torso and not the legs......   

This kit would be extremely popular among folks looking to convert Regiment X (name your poison) Imperial Guard Rough Riders.  

• For Death Fields, absolutely. Apart from anything else, you might sell some to old school Warhammer Fantasy Kislevite fans.

But for historical wargamers they may fall outside the major wars of interest. These guys basically only ever fought in civil wars and against Sweden and Russian states. I don't know if there's anything like a Black Powder tournament scene where Polish-Lithuanian vs English pike and shot armies can clash, though. If so, it may have more traction. 

• @Mark Dewis 

Well, you left out the Turks.  They were kind of a big deal ;)

I've never seen a black powder era game in real life..... but I imagine it's just like antiquities where the ahistorical matchups are far more common than the opposite.  

Winged Hussars will appeal to old Warhammer Fantasy Battle fans like myself.... 

But that audience is about to get a LOT bigger when GW resurrects the Old World in the near future... with the Kislevite army supposedly the first release.  

• Well, the Turks were mentioned in the original post, but yes. On the other hand, compared to the 30 years War and the English Civil War, other campaigns of the era do not get much attention. It's easier to get Samurai or War of Spanish Succession stuff than for what was happening in Eastern Europe.  A lot of this is because the wargaming hobby is so Anglo-centric, unfortunately. Same reason almost no one covers the Japanese invasion of China, which properly forms part of WW2 (it's not as if they stopped in 1939 and restarted in 1941. From a Japanese perspective WW2 is basically 1937-1945). 

• If tabletop miniatures wargaming has a center of mass, it's probably the UK.  And the UK (and maybe the Commonwealth?) obviously is interested in the English Civil War. 

But I don't think it it has wide interest anywhere else.  Certainly in the United States most people know more about the Ostrich War than the English Civil War.  Maybe some of our Grman forum members can weight in?

Not a point of argument.  Just an observation I'd be curious to try and confirm on way or another.

• The USA swap it out for their own Civil War. It's no accident that Perry Miniatures' first experiments in plastic were ACW infantry and cavalry. WW2 is still the biggest seller everywhere, though.

I mean, I have no objection to Poles and Turks. And at least mainstream rules exist for them (Warlord's Pike and Shotte).

Maybe by making them available, enthusiasm for late 17thC Eastern Europe will follow? It's happened before - IIRC Wargames Foundry put out a line of African minis, and the Congo and Darkest Africa rules came out afterwards to make use of them, which triggered other manufacturers to do their own African lines. 

However, there was already a strong genre of 19thC African exploration/exploitation/colonisation. Hundreds of books, movies, documentaries. I'm not sure the ground is as fertile for Winged Hussars and Janissaries. Metal IS readily available for both, and you may not move many boxes of plastic to people who already have their armies.

(Also, Foundry are all-metal - so a new line was no great investment compared to plastic - and tended to go with their sculptors' pet projects).

One last observation; the easiest lines to start in plastic are civil wars. English, Roman, American and Samurai can all be gamed with the same figures on both sides. You only have to collect one army type and maybe paint half with different colour uniforms. In the case of Samurai, not even that.

• If you like Winged Hussars then you may like the movie 1612... it definitely needs better English language distribution as it is a pretty decent movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1drjcp743q4

• @Grumpy Gnome 

I really enjoyed "1612."  I just rummaged around for my copy and couldn't find it.... maybe at the Mother in Laws?  Annoying.  Anyway, a good historical film with just the lightest touch of fantasy.

Another good film with Winged Hussar action in it is the 2009 film "Taras Bulba" aka "The Conqueror" aka "Blood and Iron."

High production values.  Beautifully filmed at various locations in the Ukraine to include Khotyn as above.  

Also a fascinating piece of Russian propaganda.  The Poles are devils oppressing the good Russian people. 

(Rude.)

They still look awesome though....

The Cossacks are co-opted as Russian heroes who die while voicing praise for the Russian Motherland.

Also, the Polish Princess is a smoke show.  

Extra Bonus:

This look familiar?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reply_of_the_Zaporozhian_Cossacks

Niiiiiiiiice.

Well worth a watch.  Supposedly available free on Vudu whatever that is.

• Well, it's a little ironic that Ukrainian (!) cossacks are showed as Russia's patriots, knowing how they were despised by "white" russians (not the RCW political faction), being generally employed by tzar's army to crush revolts and "troubles".

• @Alessio De Carolis 

Whites?  Not the Reds?

The Ukrainians were always "Little Russians" to the Russians, but I'm not aware of any particular ill will towards the Cossacks from the Whites.  Certainly the vast majority of Cossacks fought for the Whites.

Thread about the possibility of a Russo-Japanese War/WW1/WW2 Cossack Cavalry kit:

https://wargamesatlantic.com/community/xenforum/topic/58950/ww1ww2-cossack-cavalry

• White as in racially, is what he's trying to say I think. Ethnic russians vs the culturally rather different cossacks.

• Ah.  That's probably what was meant.  But I have my doubts on the racial angle.  Russians have always considered Belarussians and Ukrainians to be "Little Russians."  Now that implies not as good as "Russian" Russians.... but the key point is still Russian.  

Also by the turn of the century there were more "Russian" Cossacks than "Ukrainian" Cossacks.  

• Nice recent write up on Winged Hussars and their use in "Pike and Shotte":

https://warlord-community.warlordgames.com/forces-of-fame-polish-winged-hussars/

• Yes. I definitely need some halfling winged hussars for my Halfling Queen. 

• Halfling Ice Queen?  Winning!