What To Stream? - Netflix and Amazon Shows For The Miniatures Gamer

• Post your Netflix and Amazon Prime gems here:

(Hulu, Tubi, YouTube and whatever else welcome as well.)

• Just added to Netflix:

https://www.netflix.com/us/title/70305899?s=a&trkid=13747225&t=cp&vlang=en&clip=81084653

An entertaining if not AMAZING film.  Vlad Tepes makes a dark bargain to save his lands and people from the Ottoman Turks.  Favorite line - Newly made Romanian Vampire while munching on an Turkish Soldier "Before I was afraid there were too many... Now there aren't enough! Num num num!".  (Something to that effect... From memory.)

• Currently watching the classic comedy Allo!  Allo!

Hey I’m watching 'Allo 'Allo!. Check it out now on Prime Video! https://watch.amazon.com/detail?gti=amzn1.dv.gti.daba0543-26ae-64ed-9fa8-64e115f7b73f&ref_=atv_dp_share_seas&r=web

Great stuff.  The laugh track threw me off at first but you get used to it.  

Synopsis: French cafe owner Renee attempts to survive the war while being the meat in German Occupation / French Resistance sandwich.  Hilarity ensues.  

https://wargamesatlantic.com/community/xenforum/topic/79852/female-french-resistance-allo-allo

• Well, I dont know if these are gamer shows... but I am currently watching "Let the Right One in" on Showtime... and Chucky season 2 on ScyFy.

Let the Right One In. Is about a child vampire. The Dutch movie by the same name, has the the child as a boy who was mutiliated by a child molestor and then turned... And has been living as a girl for the past... (they dont really give a time frame, but I would guess 100+ years) Its a good movie with some really vicious scenese.

The american version, Let me In, is basically the same plot but there is no mention that the little girl is really a little boy. I actually liked this version too. But If I had to choose, I would probably choose the Dutch version.

The series is similar in characters, but the time frame and overall plot re very different. So Far I am enjoying it I think there are only 2 episodes currentle. 

Chucky... well its a story about a magic ritual possessed doll with the soul of a serial killer. So if you are looking for well written story, you are in the wrong place. Still, Season 1 was entertaining. Season 2 not as much so...

Oh... and worth mentioning. I stopped watching Andor, House of Dragon and Rings of Power... I may revisit Andor once all the episodes drop, but i think I am done with House and Rings.

• For my 2 cents worth, check out Arcane and Cybperpunk - Edgerunners on Netflix. They are both well crafted visually and have excellent characters and storytelling. Plus they offer some good ideas for skirmish level engagements, which is why I am always looking for Steampunk and Cyberpunk minis!

• @Paul Mitting Arcane was awesome. I spent a bit of time trying to find minis fir the characters on Etsy. Didn't really find any that struck my fancy. 

• Malifaux make some interesting Steampunk style minis but the scale is too large for my tastes and way too expensive! Same as Wild West Exodus stuff, which has an appealing aesthetic but doesn't fit my other 28mm scaled minis. I would love WGA to produce a range of Steampunk characters in multi-part form, maybe separate sprues for male and female, with some interchangeable parts like mechanical arms and exotic weapons. If I ever win big lottery money, I'll pay them to make the damned things!

• I agreed on Arcane, Cyberpunk Edgerunners is very gritty, also if well done, it could be set on Necromunda, Altered Carbon is similar (beware, it's VERY R rated), Andor is very well done and (finally!) a realistic depiction of SW galaxy, the last 3 episodes of Kenobi were very deludent, for the comedy there's ST: Lower Decks, a mix of dark comedy and easter eggs about the various series. Rings wasn't so bad, had some good moments, I hope only that they won't screw the history, the creation of Mount Mordor was interesting.

• Favorite of Netflix is "Shadow and Bone" actually I like this so much I could see us addopting it as our fantasy game (Very sludge), as J-Ta,m said to me he liked a comment of how guns and repeating Machine Guns were replacing Wizards .This one as it all people, gritty war, great clothing, steampunk, and magic.

• Lately I have been watching Anime comedies on Crunchy Roll so nothing very Wargame inspiring😆. That said, off the top of my head I would recommend Fairy Gone: Sword & Sorcery fantasy with High Politics and boltaction rifle action in it, though it does have its issues (overly complex plot with lots of talking and real stop/start thing in the action departmant due to that). 

@Paul Mitting Yes, I would and I would like these Steampunk minis to have proportions more like the Afgahns and Boxers thank you.

• "The Bastard Son of the Devil himself" Netflix Quite a different take on modern witchcraft (  based on a book Half Bad Books  by Sally Green). EInvolves the difference between "The Fea" and The Blood" witches,and the comming of age for a witch ( when they get their power). 

The story of a young male "Blood" soon to come of age, whoes farther violently killed all members of a "Fea" Peace Treaty and stole their magic.

The resulting actions made the Fea" form Hunters to destroy "Bloods" They both fear and need the lad. Very modern weaponary and special bullets as in under world. Violent at times. Well worth watching though.

Devils son in the middle.

• "The Tribes of Europa." Netflix. A really good series Post Apocalyepse, were a destoyed "Europe"is ruled by various Tribes some primative others with Vehicles and tech. Good watch, with plenty of gaming  material. Second season on its way.

• Well our next binge is the very delightfull IZombie, the story of a young doctor to bem who had every thing going for her. Untill tragidy struck at a "Boat Party" and drug rager Zombies, spoil her life and the night. Our reluctant hero gives up her hospital posistion, to work in the mauge (Zombie munching brains) breaks of her engagment and retreats to almost a recluse. Nice crime solving stories by said miss and a detective are the main plot. The brains she eats give her an insight to the dead persons life she pretends to be sicick and helps put justice to right. Each programs main story ends, but a continous story of some deapth runs through the series. This is well worth your`e time folks, Humour plus dark. 

• Best thing I saw this year was probably Umbrella Academy, especially season 2.

• @Grumpy Gnome Seen it, agree with your`e comments, but wine and popcorn, as always made it a watch. Love Eileen and Geoff.

@Mark Dewis Oh yes my friend not baaaad !

• "Jung E" on Netflix.

https://www.netflix.com/us/title/81465109?s=a&trkid=13747225&t=cp&vlang=en&clip=81643766

Combat robots, AI, orbital stations.  

• "Battle: Los Angeles" on Netflix.

https://www.netflix.com/us/title/70138789?s=a&trkid=13747225&t=cp&vlang=en&clip=81026449

USMC

And friends

Battle aliens in Los Angeles.

Ever see the USMC air assault into an alien offensive in flying bananas?  

Now you have.

A very decent, high production value movie.  

• If I was a coward I would be offended by brave men too.

• @Grumpy Gnome 

It's clear that they had a decent military advisor and probably full USMC support.

The only glaring inaccuracy was the having to get within seemingly 50 meters to lase in a Copperhead.  But it made cool scene, so there's that.  If I remember correctly in the same scene the main protagonist runs dry on his rifle, transitions to pistol, and then is using his rifle again when they cut back to him.

• "The English" on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B0B8KTTTQZ/ref=atv_dp_share_cu_r

A US Army First Sergeant Indian Scout musters out and runs into a highborn Englishwoman on the American Frontier.  

Beautifully shot.  

High production values.

Some "fantasy" elements injected in but always an engaging story.  

Well worth the watch even if it's not exactly a feel good film.

Will inspire some Old West / Frontier Wars gaming.

Or maybe a Necromunda campaign where a High Spire Noblewoman descends down hive looking for revenge and teams up with a veteran Ratskin Scout.  

(There's a scene that may confuse non-gun types.  As a revolver fires there's flash out of the sides of the cylinder.  If you have your hand or other part of your body there you're going to get lacerated/burnt.)

• @Grumpy Gnome Must have got his "Y Fronts" on twisted, and watched a diferent film altogether. Theres always one, we enjoyed it very much several times and I`d still watch it again.  Curently watching Lockwood and Co, ghostly doings in a dystopian London. Three in not bad, and getting better.

J-Tam Hi Brother have to try the English when IZombie and Lockwood and Co are done going Jung-E tonight. By both. 

• @Geoff Maybury 

Tell us what you think of Jung E.

• Battle: Los Angeles wasn't perfect, but it was entertaining, for sure.  I actually liked Tue "autopsy" scene.  Its an alien with alien anatomy; they had to figure out which organs were the vital ones.

Fun movie over all.  That Lord of Hats guy's panties were hella-twisted; his overtly acerbic language sounds like he was just looking for an argument.

• @Geoff Maybury 

Also, LOL at "Y" fronts.  Descriptive.  I had never heard the term before.  

• @JTamMale form of "don`t get your panties in a twist". WE really enjoyed Jung-E, the story, and the filming, to wards the end, Eileen was saying "She`d better excape". A Robo Cop morals twist,  showing the bad sign of selling your daughters life away.

• @JTam I really liked Battle: Los Angeles and most of my buddies did too. I remember watching it in the barracks with my squadmates in 2012. We made Jokes about how lucky we were to only have to face some Afghans and not these guys

• Vinland Saga - great, semi-historical revenge plot with viking battles.

Legend of the Galactic Heroses: Die Neue These - space opera, basicly one with the best tactical and visual space battles in last years.

World Trigger - Infinity the Game gameplay feels in war/tournaments.

Triggun - SF Wild West (There is orginal and new series, orginal is better).

Ranking of the Kings - fairy tale with a lot of feels, going Grimm dark sometimes.

Puss in Boots The Last Wish - fairy tale going with a lot of feels, going Grimm dark sometimes (Shrek creators in their prime. [No link due to easy hitting on spoilers]).

For The Empire: Season One - Star Wars fanfiction comedy sketch with troopers.

First Contact by Rals Bloodthorne - long sf space opera novel, which uses almost all SF tropes available. Check with Chapter Six , can be read as an one shot. Also available as an audiobook on youtube:.

Ere we go, Pluz ultra - fanfiction crossover novel, comedy gold with: what if give a superhero Waaagh! power.

A Song of Metal and Marvels: A Man of Iron - Fanfiction novel: Tony Stark is a part of Stark's family from Westros. [Tv Tropes].

Sengoku Komaichi Kuro Tan - Japanesse time-travel to Nobunaga times, developement novel/manga.

• Narvik:

https://www.netflix.com/us/title/81166149?s=a&trkid=13747225&t=cp&vlang=en&clip=81361114

Brand new, perfectly serviceable war movie that features the fighting around Narvik.  Could inspire some ground or naval combat gaming.  

Features:

Norwegian and French Soldiers.

Majestic scenery.

Apple green helmets.

And lots of Madsen guns.

• @Grumpy Gnome 

Watched "Warriors of the Future" last night.

As you mentioned some pretty big plot holes but overall enjoyable.  I thought the CGI looked good and enjoyed the frenetic action scenes.  The aliens moved with the frenzy and speed of... Well something alien.  

My favorite character was the tomahawk.

You can kill anything with a Tomahawk.

https://youtu.be/jfdY0NMDqYQ

https://youtu.be/Lzbr6fPDmkE

Also got a little caught in the feels by the relationship between crusty vet 1 and Newt.