Deathfields Crowdfunding

• @JTam

Good job on the interwebs, and which loyalist regiments exactly?

Personally I think the real tipping point was the Heavy infantry and then beastmen. The former of which had Chem Dog like heads alongside solar auxilia and tunnel rat like helmets. Meaning they probably mostly want dirty/grimy/dented/looted/rusted/abhuman loyalists if they want loyalists, none of this stinking clean guard talk.

The only reason to have clean parts as an option, instead of say more spikey bits, etc. in these kits, is if we are talking multi-faction kits. So while you may have a point about the gun shields in the Heavy Weapons since those could be used by other factions (and probably should be considering the cost of mold making), they should probably keep the helmets spiky on the plain joe heads or really make them more “cobra trooper” like.

Besides making it more clean and uniform would kind of defeat the purpose of this crowdfund and would be false advertisement as this was billed as "a range of 28mm heroic multi-part hard plastic post-apocalyptic sci-fi miniatures" not "more clean gothic space troops in plastic."  

Frankly, I think they need to be more chaotic looking in the option department with the 2 basic infantry kits at least (even if we are talking for loyalist players) with a 50/50 to 60/40 gun mix for the main battle rifles at least and spread out the squad support weapons across the two regular infantry sets to make them more complementary as opposed to different gender clones of one another.

Maybe even add skirts to the female torsos so these can work more as militia/cultists/conscript army as opposed true guard when you add the female set in. Plus they seem to be relying a little too much on the headswaps to make the female set a different gender from the male set which is not something I want to see normally with SciFi and Fantasy female subjects, particularly something that was being sold as "post apocalyptic Doomsday cultist from space"😆 

• They can call it a doomsday cult, but like Einharjar are sold as slaves kept on high G planet, but it's pretty obvious they're gonna be used as space dwarves one way or another. I don't pay much attention to the fluff, I create my own units and stories. I'm also glad that WA goes with their 1:1 approach to the units so far - cannon fodder, damned, French resistance on their 3D segment. It lets you build an army in any configuration, changing roles and units without worrying that women or men soldiers will be out of place.

I don't oppose other units that would be more stylised (damned witches/assassins, unarmoured drugged berserkers), but for the basic first sets it's 10/10 they've decided for it. I'm pretty surprised GW doesn't do something similar with their IG, while market is full of in-your-face epic female warriors.

And it may sound weird, but cults vary and may have very distinct inside rules and styles. Factions or the death fields are all about battle, so it isn't wild that a combat cult optimise every aspect of their culture go to militaristic, utilitarian style. As any other faction in wargaming, in the most cases every unit of the damned will be their own - and WA approach let you easily make 100% female cult/army with current sets (not perfectly, but close to do so). Making infantry 2 a different set would open an another can of worms in this regard. Example - if you use an officer or infantry male body there and there it won't be noticeable. People come in many shapes, after all. Distinctions of the outfits like cloaks, skirts etc between men and women would make such conversions MUCH harder.

Edit: the fact loyalist assets got some attention is clearly seen in reddit communities. On a couple of reddits, the best impact by comments, views and up votes was noticed on imperial guard one. Chaos or wargaming oriented platforms got some attention, but not so much and not before most of the goals been reached.

• @Drangir Disagree completely as they mentioned that the pics we have seen are NOT the finale product and what I am asking for with the skirts is essentially the same thing that people asking for battle kilted scot version of the WW1 British want. (So your “uniformity/matching/Whatever remarkably bad arguement you have” will be intact if this set does get done with skirts the way I am thinking🙄):

It would be militaristic and utilitarian style enough, (I am not asking for tank girl and the queen of thunderdome here😆).

Plus if one wishes to build an all-female force, the skirts would actually make that easier than pants. Take the saucer cap gasmask head from the command sprue stick it on one of the skirted female infantry bodies, boom you’ll have a female commissar that actually looks like it could be a female officer since women in positions of power wear skirts not pants if they want to be taken seriously and any future cult worth its salt would take that into account for leadership rolls because its normally all about the power with them (all of you read some dress for success books ASAP before arguing with me about this).

Also the gun mix I was suggesting would call for complementary changes to BOTH the male and the female infantry sets, and they would be good changes that would actually make them both better sets, the going 50/50 on the main rifles variants in each kit alone would allow one to build 5 different armies out of both kits (1 big mixed sex and rifle variants one, 2  mixed rifle variants same sex armies, and lastly 2 mixed sex same rifle variant armies).

And spreading out the more common fireteam weapons or even not having them on the male sprue so we can have more fun bits to play with would not be a bad thing (how many more male proportion arms with grenade launchers and flamers do we actually want/need in that bit box?😆).

Finally Frostgrave's soldier, cultist, wizard, crewmen, etc. sets have already demonstrated yes you can add distinctions in clothing and gear across a line that actually makes conversion work and kitbashing easier, not harder. Likewise the plan is to give the female set figures slimmer proportions than the male set  (like the Female CF) and just from kitbashing perspective its actually easier to glue on gear/weapon pockets to skirts so conversion work is not a real good argueing point in this case😉.

Likewise interest on a loyalist Reddit does not mean anything to this arguement really since that’s no guarantee they backed, some people collect for both factions but interact more with the loyalist community since it’s the bigger/more active group, and again there are a lot of loyalist guard regiments and militia where the fastest way to build armies of  them is to make a chaos cultist army minus the anarchy arrows. The fact is most loyalist player are tired of Cadians (i.e. what Vanilla space troops is clearly code for to 40kers), these should not be more of them just to satisfy "a never satisfied" minority when they already have the Ooh-rah, Raum Jager, and Eisenkern  filling that niche better than GW ever could.