WWII Italian Project

• I've got my pre-order in for the new 02 Hundred game and I'm really looking forward to the new minis that come with it... that said, as I already have a sizeable collection of North African terrain I'm going to also try the game rules out in this context!

I'm going to pitch LRDG/SAS raiders against DAK and Auto-Avio Sahariane units in their bases so the WWII Italian box set is going to come in VERY handy. Thanks to a very good friend in the USA I also managed to finally get a model of the AS42 (one of my existing LRDG figures for scale) that I'm somewhat obessed with 🤣

Updates to follow as the Italians and their vehicles get painted and detailed 😊

• @Bill Thomas 

I missed this thread when you first posted it.  

Transposing 02 Hundred Hours to the desert is fantastic idea.  A perfect setting.  

The AS42 is a very cool vehicle.  Distinct look and a fascinating arry of weapons.  Found some new to me photos just today on the Internet:

Hope you can share some updates if you have any....

• Did you ever see "El Alamein - Line of Fire"?

https://youtu.be/hXrYGd_9hAc

It used to be available on either Amazon or Netflix streaming but seems unavailable now.  

Not a brilliant movie.  But good enough, particularly considering how rare a war movie about Italian participation in WW2 is. 

Good writeup (warning - spoilers):

http://italianmonarchist.blogspot.com/2012/02/mm-movie-review-el-alamein-la-linea-del.html?m=1

• @JTam no, I have not seen that... I will look out for it, thank you!

I'm working on some sci-fi stuff right now, mostly building the Stargrave sets I got from the starter, and also re-doing my entire Zona Alfa collection, but I'n gradually adding little bits and pieces to my "Italian Project" for some fun in the summer :)

• @Bill Thomas 

A hobby should take you wherever the enjoyment is :)

This is a cool mini one could add to the collection:

I have some of their other miniatures and their supremely detailed, well researched, and casted. 

https://wargamesatlantic.com/community/xenforum/topic/78263/the-silver-bayonet-projects

I've been contemplating picking this particular miniature up, but I'm doing Italians on the Eastern Front, not desert Italians.  And the hair and feathers would make swapping headgear a nightmare.

• This little gem scales perfectly to 0200hrs and there are some other German and British, by Rubicon Makes a verry different game Palm trees and dates. 

• Theres some tanks and a 6 pounder gun also on the way.

• To be totaly honest Bill, I`m as much looking forward to the scenery as your figures and vehicles, Please photo your "Zona Alpha" and post them hear. Lots of love both Geoff. 

• @Geoff Maybury for you my friend, of course... when I get the whole deal complete I will make a picture post specifically, but for now here's my "Military Stalker" crew...

• Effectively Italy's wheeled vehicles were well done, such as the good Autoblinda Ab40/41, contrary to tanks, less than stellar, and the Sahariana performed well in NA.

Naturally, given the awful state of Italy's industries, they weren't build in huge numbers.

• As a long range recce vehicle, the numbers seem about right. The LRDG it was mostly used to counter only operated a few hundred trucks and jeeps.

• @Bill Thomas Looking good Bill!

• @Bill Thomas Very nice Bill, when you can, if time is permiting, please post some scenery pictures of the Zona Alpha, as well, to see them in all there glory.

• @Grumpy Gnome Hi pal, love those Quar.